Vatican Dumps Darwinist-Boosting Astronomer

Old August 30th 06, 04:56 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.astronomy,alt.messianic,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Eudaemonic Plague

Default Reich-Wing Vatican Dumps Darwinist-Boosting Astronomer

"Pastor Dave" wrote in message
[snip]
: If we got here by evolution, then Jesus is not Savior.

Very good, Davey, now if you will only recognize the fact that we
_did_ get here by evolution.......

Old August 30th 06, 05:04 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.astronomy,alt.messianic,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Eudaemonic Plague

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: Rand Simberg wrote:
: Speaking of keeping ignorant mouths shut, maybe you should work on
: your own. The Church does not oppose evolution. Creationism is a
: Protestant thing.
:
: Until now that has been the case, but the German guy in the Vatican
: with the silly hat has dropped some hints about embracing
intelligent
: design theory. We'll see if he carries through with that.
Hopefully
: it's all a lot of hot air and nothing will come of it.

How can it matter? No one with any sense cares what the vatican's
stance is, we don't base our lives on their foolishness. Besides, if
they want to reduce their credibility, more power to them.

Old August 30th 06, 05:05 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.astronomy,alt.messianic,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:54:50 -0500, in a place far, far away,
"Eudaemonic Plague" made the phosphor on my

: And he has cancer. Both is age and medical condition would be
pretty
: good reasons for retiring. If the vatican opposes his views then
the
: pope can just flat out contradict him on the spot. There's no need
for
: them to beat around the bush. The fact is that the vatican doesn't
know
: what lie to tell next, so, for now, they're keeping their ignorant
mouths
: shut.
:
: Speaking of keeping ignorant mouths shut, maybe you should work on
: your own. The Church does not oppose evolution. Creationism is a
: Protestant thing.

Ah, _where_ exactly did he claim they oppose evolution?

What is it that they're "lying" about, then?

Do you enjoy looking foolish?

Of course not. Fortunately, I rarely do.
Old August 30th 06, 05:32 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.astronomy,alt.messianic,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Mike Schilling

"Pastor Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:27:15 GMT, h
(Rand Simberg) spake thusly:

Speaking of keeping ignorant mouths shut, maybe you should work on
your own. The Church does not oppose evolution. Creationism is a
Protestant thing.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/01/.../evolution.php

Creation is a Biblical thing.

It's a "literal interpretation of the Bible" thing, and Catholicism is not
known for that these days.

Old August 30th 06, 05:45 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.astronomy,alt.messianic,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Mike Schilling

"Pastor Dave" wrote in message

You can try to dodge the Scriptures if you want to.
But it is hypocrisy to claim that one believes in a
denomination that claims to believe the Scriptures
and then tosses the basic idea of the Scriptures
aside.

If we got here by evolution, then Jesus is not Savior.

That doesn't follow in the least. Who set evolution in motion? Certainly a
smarter and more capable God than One who has to constantly be meddling to
keep things on the right path.

Old August 30th 06, 05:57 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.astronomy,alt.messianic,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Pastor Dave

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:56:50 -0500, "Eudaemonic Plague"
spake thusly:

"Pastor Dave" wrote in message
.. .
[snip]
: If we got here by evolution, then Jesus is not Savior.

Very good, Davey, now if you will only recognize the fact that we
_did_ get here by evolution.......

Have a nice life.

--

"Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass,
till all these things be fulfilled." - Matthew 24:34

/
/
[]()X()[]
\
\

"For the word of God is sharper than any two edged sword."

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected
the Sermon on the Mount... The world has achieved
brilliance without conscience. Ours is a world of
nuclear giants and ethical infants."
- General Omar Bradley

Old August 30th 06, 06:03 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.astronomy,alt.messianic,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Cary Kittrell

"Mike Schilling"

"Pastor Dave" wrote in message

You can try to dodge the Scriptures if you want to.
But it is hypocrisy to claim that one believes in a
denomination that claims to believe the Scriptures
and then tosses the basic idea of the Scriptures
aside.

If we got here by evolution, then Jesus is not Savior.

That doesn't follow in the least. Who set evolution in motion? Certainly a
smarter and more capable God than One who has to constantly be meddling to
keep things on the right path.

Oh, but it does follow in the minds of folks like Pastor Dave.
If evolution, then the Garden of Eden myth is just that. And
no Eden: no Fall; no Fall: no redemption.

Me, I think that the Eden story is one of the most marvelous
myths I know of, because it so poignantly echoes the stages we all
experience in going from infant to adult. But for others, it's
more -- or less.

-- cary
Old August 30th 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.astronomy,alt.messianic,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
JTEM

quibbler wrote:

The fact is that the vatican doesn't know what
lie to tell next, so, for now, they're keeping
their ignorant mouths shut.

You'll have to forgive them. They're idiots who are
being heavily lobbied by other idiots.

Apparently the sticking point is whether God or
natural forces ("evolution") directs development.

Traditionally the Catholic church accepts evolution,
seeing it as God's chosen method for creating us.
But that would require us -- and all life as it now
exists on earth -- to be the goal. Not that evolution
resulted in us and the life around us, but that God
"created" evolution planning/knowing that it's
eventual result would be us.

The fundies are currently claiming that the Pope
can't endorse this view, that evolution requires a
deist philosophy where the results were never
set, but randomly determined on the fly by the
natural processes.

Ironically, it really doesn't matter. Whether the
direct hand or God or pure nature, our observations
of and understanding of evolution is unchanged.

Old August 30th 06, 06:37 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.astronomy,alt.messianic,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
JTEM

Rand Simberg wrote:

Speaking of keeping ignorant mouths shut, maybe
you should work on your own. The Church does
not oppose evolution. Creationism is a Protestant
thing.

Oh, irony!

He's aware that the church accepts evolution. But
he's also aware that there are....well... certain
"Issues" the church is being presented with.

Old August 30th 06, 06:41 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.astronomy,alt.messianic,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
JTEM

Pastor Dave wrote:

You can try to dodge the Scriptures if you want to.

Dodging == treating the bible as a collection of
moral tales & lessons.

If we got here by evolution, then Jesus is not Savior.

We got here by evolution. Deal with it and move on.