...The Greatest Weakness of America!

Old July 17th 07, 03:27 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,us.military.army,alt.global-warming,sci.military.naval
Jonathan

Default ...The Greatest Weakness of America!

I'm stating the obvious when I claim it's our dependence
on fossil fuels.

But what I think few understand is just how quickly
the world oil market could collapse. Do you realize
that OPEC bases its annual oil production quotas
partially on the estimated reserves a member
country claims?

Which means a country can pump more oil each
year if it claims larger reserves in the ground.

It's been documented that many OPEC countries have
over estimated their reserves by as much as 50%.
How much do we trust the stated oil reserves
of countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Nigeria, Russia
Kuwait and Venezuela?

"How Credible Are Proven Oil Reserves:"
The Case of Iran, Russia & Canada

"Among the principal beneficiaries of these revisions are Iran whose proven
reserves have gone up from 89.7 bb at the beginning of 2003 to130.7 bb in
2004 and then to 132.5 bb in 2005 and Russia from 48.6 bb to 69.1 bb and
then to 72.3 bb at a time when no major discoveries were reported in
these two countries in 2003 or 2004."
http://www.odac-info.org/assessments...5thNAEConf.pdf

MIDDLE EAST OIL - REALITY AND ILLUSION

"In 1985, Kuwait added 50% to its reported reserves although nothing
particular had changed in the oilfield. Three years later, Venezuela doubled
its reserves by the inclusion of long-known but not previously counted,
heavy oil reserves. That forced Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Iran and Iraq to
retaliate with massive increases to protect their OPEC quota, which
was based partly on reserves. Saudi Arabia followed in 1990 increasing
its reported reserves from 170 Gb to 257.5 Gb, an estimate that has
barely changed since, despite intervening production of some 37 Gb."
http://www.peakoil.net/Publications/...D_ILLUSION.pdf

.................................................. .

It's easy to assume that when oil finally does begin
running out, that the decline will be steady and
predictable over a number of years.

But think about that for a moment. Has anyone
ever been in a city the moment it becomes clear
a hurricane is going to hit? That city goes from
a normally functioning well supplied operation
to being completely wiped out of all cash, gas
and food in .....THREE HOURS FLAT!

I've seen such panic situations with my own eyes
several times, as i live in Miami. Trust me when I say
when the day comes the world realizes the oil party
is over, it'll all come crashing down ....overnight.

Not a steady decline, but in a panic.

One day they'll be some news event, some story that gets
everyones attention. Such as how Hurricane Katrina
has galvanized the global warming movement.
And everything will change overnight.

Maybe another story like this will come out, except
about the Saudi oil fields.........

"Mexico's Cantarell oil field, the world's second largest producer,
is beginning to dry up"
http://www.scdigest.com/assets/newsV...&ctype=content

Or maybe a story like this...........

"It was an incredible revelation last week that the second largest
oil field in the world is exhausted and past its peak output.
Yet that is what the Kuwait Oil Company revealed about
its Burgan field."
http://www.ameinfo.com/71519.html

Countries will start hording instead of pumping when that
Katrina-like event occurs.
Everyone /at once/ will keep what they have for
themselves and bunker down.

If America is not ready for that day, our country
could become a ghost of its former self in the
blink of an eye.

Did you know George Bush cancelled an ambitious
NASA Space Solar Power program, which could ultimately
lead to the US becoming the energy "King" of the future?
And replaced that program with another moon shot?

More ...moon rocks... instead of ensuring our future?

During the next Presidential election, we need to demand
the wasteful return to the moon be 'aborted' and this program
below be ....reinstated.

This is the path to replacing fossil fuels for the long term.
It's the path to a bright future for America.
It's the path to end global warming.
And an end to a future where Islam dominates us all.

Let's make America the next energy "Saudi Arabia".

Executive Summary
NASA'S SPACE SOLAR POWER EXPLORATORY RESEARCH AND
TECHNOLOGY (SERT) PROGRAM
http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309075971

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Space Solar Power (SSP)
Exploratory Research and Technology (SERT) program was charged to develop
technologies needed to provide cost-competitive ground baseload electrical
power from space-based solar energy converters.

The SERT program was established in FY 1999 and continued through FY 2000 by
U.S. congressional appropriation. An additional appropriation was also
funded for SSP Research and Technology (SSP R&T) for FY 2001. Decisions on
internal NASA budget allocations for FY 2002 were pending during review and
publication of this report.

The program has identified several flight demonstration milestones in order
to test technologies and concepts in the near-term and mid-term in
preparation for transferring the technologies to industry for final
full-scale development and implementation. A more specific treatment of
these flight demonstrations and key program milestones can be found
in Section 2-1.

The program has identified an investment portfolio for a future SSP program
with planned resource allocation through 2016 (see Table D-l).
Technology flight demonstrations (referred to by NASA as MSCs) are
scheduled in FY 2006-2007, FY 2011-2012, and FY 2016.

From 2002 to 2006 the funding request for SSP was respectively

$88million
$124million
$211million
$282million
$312million
.................................................. .

"Chairman Rohrabacher opened the hearing by stating that
space solar power (SSP) is "precisely what NASA as an
agency should be all about" - He stated that NASA's lack
of preparation to follow up on SSP, a concept that, he claimed,
"cries out for further research," may be because NASA wants
to focus on human space flight, "in hopes of reclaiming the
glory days of Apollo." He wants NASA to take the next measured
step in research, and believes that this visionary approach would
reap huge public support for NASA ."

Hearing on "Space Solar Power: A Fresh Look" before the
Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics of the House
Committee on Science, October 24, 1997.
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/legaff/solar.html

Space Solar Power
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_solar_power

Space Solar Power Concept And Technology Maturation Program
Nasa Glenn Research Center
http://space-power.grc.nasa.gov/ppo/publications/sctm/

Pentagon Considering Study on Space-Based Solar Power
Thursday, April 12, 2007
By Jeremy Singer

MIT Space Solar Power Workshop
http://web.mit.edu/space_solar_power/

Old July 17th 07, 08:20 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,us.military.army,alt.global-warming,sci.military.naval
Peter Muehlbauer

"Jonathan" wrote

I'm stating the obvious when I claim it's our dependence
on fossil fuels.

[snip]

There is no more Peak Oil.

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,490207,00.html
(maybe this is somewhere in english too, didn't look for it)

Off shore of South East Asia more and more natural gas and oil is
discovered.
The lucky one is Vietnam, where the fields stretch like a carpet
from north to south, among them a supergiant field like in
Saudi Arabia.
From probe boreholes at Sihanoukville Chevron found oil with
4 of 5 boreholes. Chevron calls this significant.
They estimate 500 billion barrels of oil within 6 fields, and that's
only the beginning.

Royal Dutch Shell is drilling off shore from Sabah, wherefrom starting
to convey 350 billion barrels at coming autumn.

Vietnam opens up 3 new blocks of about 700 billion barrels in the
Cuu-Long bassin and JapanVietnam Pertoleum discovers another
field with 37 billion barrels.

The supergiant field however is located in the Song-Hong bassin
with an estimated volume of 5 trillion barrels.

Old July 17th 07, 11:28 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,us.military.army,alt.global-warming,sci.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

On Jul 17, 3:20 am, "Peter Muehlbauer"
wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote

I'm stating the obvious when I claim it's our dependence
on fossil fuels.

[snip]

There is no more Peak Oil.

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,490207,00.html
(maybe this is somewhere in english too, didn't look for it)

Off shore of South East Asia more and more natural gas and oil is
discovered.
The lucky one is Vietnam, where the fields stretch like a carpet
from north to south, among them a supergiant field like in
Saudi Arabia.
From probe boreholes at Sihanoukville Chevron found oil with
4 of 5 boreholes. Chevron calls this significant.
They estimate 500 billion barrels of oil within 6 fields, and that's
only the beginning.

Royal Dutch Shell is drilling off shore from Sabah, wherefrom starting
to convey 350 billion barrels at coming autumn.

Vietnam opens up 3 new blocks of about 700 billion barrels in the
Cuu-Long bassin and JapanVietnam Pertoleum discovers another
field with 37 billion barrels.

The supergiant field however is located in the Song-Hong bassin
with an estimated volume of 5 trillion barrels.

and ordinary field weeds are better sources of ethanol than corn.

Old July 17th 07, 12:03 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,us.military.army,alt.global-warming,sci.military.naval
Peter Muehlbauer

"Jack Linthicum" wrote
On Jul 17, 3:20 am, "Peter Muehlbauer"
wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote

I'm stating the obvious when I claim it's our dependence
on fossil fuels.

[snip]

There is no more Peak Oil.

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,490207,00.html
(maybe this is somewhere in english too, didn't look for it)

Off shore of South East Asia more and more natural gas and oil is
discovered.
The lucky one is Vietnam, where the fields stretch like a carpet
from north to south, among them a supergiant field like in
Saudi Arabia.
From probe boreholes at Sihanoukville Chevron found oil with
4 of 5 boreholes. Chevron calls this significant.
They estimate 500 billion barrels of oil within 6 fields, and that's
only the beginning.

Royal Dutch Shell is drilling off shore from Sabah, wherefrom starting
to convey 350 billion barrels at coming autumn.

Vietnam opens up 3 new blocks of about 700 billion barrels in the
Cuu-Long bassin and JapanVietnam Pertoleum discovers another
field with 37 billion barrels.

The supergiant field however is located in the Song-Hong bassin
with an estimated volume of 5 trillion barrels.

and ordinary field weeds are better sources of ethanol than corn.

I see no reason why not burning fossil fuel, instead of burning food.

Old July 17th 07, 12:22 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,us.military.army,alt.global-warming,sci.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

On Jul 17, 7:03 am, "Peter Muehlbauer"
wrote:
"Jack Linthicum" wrote

On Jul 17, 3:20 am, "Peter Muehlbauer"
wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote

I'm stating the obvious when I claim it's our dependence
on fossil fuels.

[snip]

There is no more Peak Oil.

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,490207,00.html
(maybe this is somewhere in english too, didn't look for it)

Off shore of South East Asia more and more natural gas and oil is
discovered.
The lucky one is Vietnam, where the fields stretch like a carpet
from north to south, among them a supergiant field like in
Saudi Arabia.
From probe boreholes at Sihanoukville Chevron found oil with
4 of 5 boreholes. Chevron calls this significant.
They estimate 500 billion barrels of oil within 6 fields, and that's
only the beginning.

Royal Dutch Shell is drilling off shore from Sabah, wherefrom starting
to convey 350 billion barrels at coming autumn.

Vietnam opens up 3 new blocks of about 700 billion barrels in the
Cuu-Long bassin and JapanVietnam Pertoleum discovers another
field with 37 billion barrels.

The supergiant field however is located in the Song-Hong bassin
with an estimated volume of 5 trillion barrels.

and ordinary field weeds are better sources of ethanol than corn.

I see no reason why not burning fossil fuel, instead of burning food.

Farm vote, ethanol equals corn farmers at the present moment. Sugar is
the thing in Brazil, the U.S. has enough problems with their sugar
policy that it is a pitfall. It's the cellulose that makes ethanol.

Old July 17th 07, 01:23 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,us.military.army,alt.global-warming,sci.military.naval
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:27:57 -0400, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

I've seen such panic situations with my own eyes
several times, as i live in Miami. Trust me when I say
when the day comes the world realizes the oil party
is over, it'll all come crashing down ....overnight.

Not a steady decline, but in a panic.

Nonsense. "Peak oil" is a myth. We have huge reserves in shale and
tar sands, which become economically viable at prices below the
current ones.
Old July 17th 07, 02:12 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,us.military.army,alt.global-warming,sci.military.naval
Peter Muehlbauer

"Jack Linthicum" wrote
On Jul 17, 7:03 am, "Peter Muehlbauer"
wrote:
"Jack Linthicum" wrote

On Jul 17, 3:20 am, "Peter Muehlbauer"
wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote

I'm stating the obvious when I claim it's our dependence
on fossil fuels.

[snip]

There is no more Peak Oil.

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,490207,00.html
(maybe this is somewhere in english too, didn't look for it)

Off shore of South East Asia more and more natural gas and oil is
discovered.
The lucky one is Vietnam, where the fields stretch like a carpet
from north to south, among them a supergiant field like in
Saudi Arabia.
From probe boreholes at Sihanoukville Chevron found oil with
[...]

If it's made from the cellulose, then it is ok. Better than composting that.
I know from Paragauy, my future home, that there is added about
10% ethanol to the gasoline, that makes motors run very smoothly and
extends the endurance.
But even if i.e. Paraguay has very much of sugar cane, it is not enough to
replace fossil fuel. Ethanol will always be an additive, but no replacement.
I don't know much of the conditions in Brazil, or even Florida, where you
live, but without selective cultivation it would not be enough either.

Old July 17th 07, 02:19 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,us.military.army,alt.global-warming,sci.military.naval
Peter Muehlbauer

"Rand Simberg" wrote
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:27:57 -0400, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

I've seen such panic situations with my own eyes
several times, as i live in Miami. Trust me when I say
when the day comes the world realizes the oil party
is over, it'll all come crashing down ....overnight.

Not a steady decline, but in a panic.

Nonsense. "Peak oil" is a myth. We have huge reserves in shale and
tar sands, which become economically viable at prices below the
current ones.

Just an hour ago, there was a documentation on german TV about
a farmer in Tennesee, who found oil on his land by flike.
An oil company then was exploring his land and found lots of oil
although there hasn't thought to be oil.
They now convey about 4000 barrels a week from there.
I think, the earth has still a lot of oil, it has only to be found.
Old July 17th 07, 02:55 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,us.military.army,alt.global-warming,sci.military.naval
BradGuth

The Yids and of their Third Reich of a global domination mindset
really don't care, as otherwise multiple renewable alternatives would
have been established as of decades ago.

40 kw/m2 of a tower footprint is not hocus-pocus energy. Sorry about
that.
-
Brad Guth

Old July 17th 07, 02:58 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,us.military.army,alt.global-warming,sci.military.naval
BradGuth

On Jul 17, 12:20 am, "Peter Muehlbauer"
wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote

I'm stating the obvious when I claim it's our dependence
on fossil fuels.

[snip]

There is no more Peak Oil.

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,490207,00.html
(maybe this is somewhere in english too, didn't look for it)

Off shore of South East Asia more and more natural gas and oil is
discovered.
The lucky one is Vietnam, where the fields stretch like a carpet
from north to south, among them a supergiant field like in
Saudi Arabia.
From probe boreholes at Sihanoukville Chevron found oil with
4 of 5 boreholes. Chevron calls this significant.
They estimate 500 billion barrels of oil within 6 fields, and that's
only the beginning.

Royal Dutch Shell is drilling off shore from Sabah, wherefrom starting
to convey 350 billion barrels at coming autumn.

Vietnam opens up 3 new blocks of about 700 billion barrels in the
Cuu-Long bassin and JapanVietnam Pertoleum discovers another
field with 37 billion barrels.

The supergiant field however is located in the Song-Hong bassin
with an estimated volume of 5 trillion barrels.

The Vietnam war was in fact all about the taking of their oil, and
nothing else. I kid you not.
-
Brad Guth

The Greatest Experiment G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 4 December 23rd 06 07:27 PM
The greatest woman ever Holly Misc 20 December 18th 06 01:45 PM
Greatest Brilliancy ==> Greatest Illuminated Extent Paul Schlyter Amateur Astronomy 1 September 18th 05 06:57 PM
The greatest engineer is gone.... Derek Lyons History 1 July 20th 05 06:34 PM
What are the two greatest Extremes? G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 2 January 28th 05 02:03 PM