rebuttal to Jeffrey Bell on "StuntShipOne"

Old August 10th 04, 12:32 AM
Rand Simberg

Default rebuttal to Jeffrey Bell on "StuntShipOne"

Jeff Findley wrote:

It would if you come up with another source for your high pressure air.

That would be a different system (the "S" in RCS).

I see your point, but what if we get our source of hot air from a pre-burner
on a staged combustion rocket engine?

Fine, but it would still be a different RCS (i.e., one designed for a
spaceship) than the one in the Harrier.
Old August 11th 04, 07:15 PM
Jeff Findley

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
nk.net...
Jeff Findley wrote:
I see your point, but what if we get our source of hot air from a

pre-burner
on a staged combustion rocket engine?

Fine, but it would still be a different RCS (i.e., one designed for a
spaceship) than the one in the Harrier.

I think you're right. As Mary points out, the Harrier RCS is just a
complicated thrust vectoring system attached to the jet engine.

Jeff

Old August 12th 04, 11:11 PM
Sander Vesik

Rand Simberg wrote:
Jeff Findley wrote:

It would if you come up with another source for your high pressure air.

That would be a different system (the "S" in RCS).

I see your point, but what if we get our source of hot air from a pre-burner
on a staged combustion rocket engine?

Fine, but it would still be a different RCS (i.e., one designed for a
spaceship) than the one in the Harrier.

Uhh.. it doesn't matter if it would be a similar or different RCS, but that
Harrier is a good demonstration why specfying "has RCS" for "is spaceship"
is bad.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old August 12th 04, 11:24 PM
Rand Simberg

Sander Vesik wrote:

Fine, but it would still be a different RCS (i.e., one designed for a
spaceship) than the one in the Harrier.

Uhh.. it doesn't matter if it would be a similar or different RCS, but that
Harrier is a good demonstration why specfying "has RCS" for "is spaceship"
is bad.

Not if it's specifiec as an RCS designed to work in space (which is
implicit).
Old August 12th 04, 11:28 PM
Rand Simberg

Rand Simberg wrote:

Not if it's specifiec as an RCS designed to work in space (which is
implicit).

That should have been "specified."