Is Hubble's successor approved and funded?

Old January 17th 04, 05:07 PM
Jorge R. Frank

Default Is Hubble's successor approved and funded?

(vthokie) wrote in
om:

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd appreciate any info y'all may
have!

Try:

http://ngst.gsfc.nasa.gov/

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old January 17th 04, 05:09 PM
Paul F. Dietz

vthokie wrote:
Is the James Webb Space Telescope a (more or less) secure program at
this point? Has the design been finalized? Has construction begun?

I'm guessing that it was intended from the start to go up on an
expendable launch vehicle, since I've heard no mention of any impact
on the program due to the shuttle's retirement. What type of orbit
will it be in? Also, what is its expected lifespan?

http://ngst.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Paul
Old January 17th 04, 05:10 PM
vthokie

Is the James Webb Space Telescope a (more or less) secure program at
this point? Has the design been finalized? Has construction begun?

I'm guessing that it was intended from the start to go up on an
expendable launch vehicle, since I've heard no mention of any impact
on the program due to the shuttle's retirement. What type of orbit
will it be in? Also, what is its expected lifespan?

It sounds like Hubble's rate sensing gyroscopes may be the determining
factor in its remaining life. Obviously the new space telescope will
need something more reliable, since it's not designed for on-orbit
servicing. Would ring laser or fiber optic gyros provide more life
than the Hubble's mechanical gyros?

Old January 17th 04, 06:45 PM
uray

"vthokie" wrote in message
om...
Is the James Webb Space Telescope a (more or less) secure program at
this point? Has the design been finalized? Has construction begun?

I'm guessing that it was intended from the start to go up on an
expendable launch vehicle, since I've heard no mention of any impact
on the program due to the shuttle's retirement. What type of orbit
will it be in? Also, what is its expected lifespan?

It sounds like Hubble's rate sensing gyroscopes may be the determining
factor in its remaining life. Obviously the new space telescope will
need something more reliable, since it's not designed for on-orbit
servicing. Would ring laser or fiber optic gyros provide more life
than the Hubble's mechanical gyros?

Nothing is certain anymore. Like most politicians, Bush has given a mandate
with little thought to funding. To achieve Bush's objectives requires far
far more money than Bush has given. Science will take a back seat now. I
dread hearing what programs will be cut in order to boost Bush's re-election
campaign.

uray

Old January 17th 04, 07:26 PM
Cardman

On 17 Jan 2004 09:10:10 -0800, (vthokie)
wrote:

Is the James Webb Space Telescope a (more or less) secure program at
this point?

More or less, but at this point it would not surprise me if any major
project is scrapped.

Has the design been finalized?

AFAIK, Yes.

Has construction begun?

It has started, but a long way to go yet. This telescope is due for
launch in August of 2011, which means that if it still early days if
NASA wants to cut or delay this project.

I'm guessing that it was intended from the start to go up on an
expendable launch vehicle, since I've heard no mention of any impact
on the program due to the shuttle's retirement. What type of orbit
will it be in?

1.5 million km from Earth at L2 Point.

It needs to be a long distance from Earth's atmosphere in order to
reach a very cold temperature required for it's work studying the very
early Universe.

Also, what is its expected lifespan?

5 to 10 years.

No servicing on this one, which is most likely a good thing, where
when it breaks that is the end of it.

It sounds like Hubble's rate sensing gyroscopes may be the determining
factor in its remaining life.

Yes, where they often fail and need replacing.

Obviously the new space telescope will
need something more reliable, since it's not designed for on-orbit
servicing. Would ring laser or fiber optic gyros provide more life
than the Hubble's mechanical gyros?

No idea what it is using, but even had it used Hubble's gyros, which
is unlikely I guess, then you can stick 8 of them on it to last the
expected 10 years.

Cardman
http://www.cardman.com
http://www.cardman.co.uk
Old January 18th 04, 12:29 AM
Steven James Forsberg

:Also, what is its expected lifespan?

: 5 to 10 years.

: No servicing on this one, which is most likely a good thing, where
: when it breaks that is the end of it.
Unless, of course, the initial bird is put up with an off-kilter
lens. ;-)

regards,

Old January 19th 04, 02:16 AM
Cardman

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:23:16 -0600, Tom Abbott
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:26:57 +0000, Cardman
wrote:

No servicing on this one, which is most likely a good thing, where
when it breaks that is the end of it.

Well, if we are going to establish a Moonbase, then we
will need a vehicle that can travel back and forth between
the Earth and the Moon. If we have such a vehicle, it can
travel to the new telescope, too.

Damn, I knew someone would say that. What is NASA now? A repair
service? ;-]

Well since the James Webb space telescope is not being designed to be
serviced, then I have a feeling that no one will try doing so.

Cardman
http://www.cardman.com
http://www.cardman.co.uk