STS-121 Launch

Old July 4th 06, 08:21 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_2_]

Default STS-121 Launch

....FYI, I had to do a fill-in DJ shift in SA today, but thanks to the
miracle of NASA TV on the Web, I managed to catch the launch at
reasonable high-speed quality. Which means while it looked great, it
still wasn't clear enough to see the foam shedding, if any.

....Either way, congrats to the Shuttle team for getting Discovery off
the ground once again. Good job, guys and gals!

[Back to work. Wah.]
OM

--

]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old July 4th 06, 08:34 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...FYI, I had to do a fill-in DJ shift in SA today, but thanks to the
miracle of NASA TV on the Web, I managed to catch the launch at
reasonable high-speed quality. Which means while it looked great, it
still wasn't clear enough to see the foam shedding, if any.

According to Spaceflight Now, review of the ascent video shows small
pieces of debris shedding at around three minutes after liftoff::
http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts121/status.html
(3:20 PM update)

Pat
Old July 4th 06, 10:09 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

According to Spaceflight Now, review of the ascent video shows small
pieces of debris shedding at around three minutes after liftoff::
http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts121/status.html
(3:20 PM update)

This might be a ice-frost ramp coming free- 4:09 PM update.
If it's a ice-frost ramp, there's going to be doing some explaining to
do in regards to that "go" launch decision, as that was the concern of
the two team members who voted "no" as to the go for launch decision.

Pat
Old July 4th 06, 10:17 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On 2006-07-04, Pat Flannery wrote:

According to Spaceflight Now, review of the ascent video shows small
pieces of debris shedding at around three minutes after liftoff::
http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts121/status.html
(3:20 PM update)

Which, they don't think will be an issue, as the air is too thin
at the height the bird would be at that point, to cause catastrophic
damage.

Iain

Old July 4th 06, 10:35 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 16:09:32 -0500, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Pat Flannery wrote:

According to Spaceflight Now, review of the ascent video shows small
pieces of debris shedding at around three minutes after liftoff::
http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts121/status.html
(3:20 PM update)

This might be a ice-frost ramp coming free- 4:09 PM update.
If it's a ice-frost ramp, there's going to be doing some explaining to
do in regards to that "go" launch decision, as that was the concern of
the two team members who voted "no" as to the go for launch decision.

Not necessarily. Was the concern that the ramp would come off, or
that it would come off and cause damage?
Old July 4th 06, 11:08 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_2_]

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 16:09:32 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

This might be a ice-frost ramp coming free- 4:09 PM update.
If it's a ice-frost ramp, there's going to be doing some explaining to
do in regards to that "go" launch decision, as that was the concern of
the two team members who voted "no" as to the go for launch decision.

....In the few seconds I've been able to listen - much less *hear* over
the goddamn ghetto (c)rap I'm having to play - there's some issue
about some debris appearing between the Shuttle and the ET after the
post-sep exam that *might* be a thermal blanket. Haven't heard more on
this other than they want the footage downlinked as soon as they get
configured for it.

Again, I didn't hear all of it, so I leave the gaps for you guys to
fill in...

Side Note: Lookee here what I have on stage right now, all the way
from Siberia:

http://www.sugarsperfect.com/p10sa/e.../natalie/1.htm

OM

--

]=====================================[
Old July 4th 06, 11:32 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

Side Note: Lookee here what I have on stage right now, all the way
from Siberia:

http://www.sugarsperfect.com/p10sa/e.../natalie/1.htm

If Aelita is "Sputnik", what's this one's nickname? "Kosmos"?

Pat
Old July 4th 06, 11:50 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

The Shuttle orbiter itself appears to have shed something large,
possibly a four to eight foot long piece of its thermal blanket
insulation that has been observed by the astronauts floating away from
it in space:
http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts121/060704fossum/

Small pieces of debris from the ET also apparently struck the Shuttle's
underbelly during ascent.

Pat
Old July 5th 06, 12:11 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

Small pieces of debris from the ET also apparently struck the
Shuttle's underbelly during ascent.

Looking at the film from the ET camera these occurred fairly late in the
ascent process and the impacts were at very low relative velocity.
NASA now thinks the thing falling off the orbiter was ice from the
engine compartment area, not insulation fabric.

Pat