Apollo 11 PLSS Jettison

Old December 21st 05, 02:08 AM posted to sci.space.history

Default Apollo 11 PLSS Jettison

Yes, some people have said it was 'easy' but in fact it took great skill
by Ed to get it right.

Even so, he was ****ed because the LRV was parked closer to the LM than
planned and so Ed missed the final few seconds of the Ascent Stage liftoff.

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
"OM" wrote in message

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:27:59 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

Actually it was the camera on the rover for Apollos 15,16,17.

It was operated from Houston by Captain Video (Ed Fendell).

He got it just right on Apollo 17.

...In defense of Fendell, A15's Rover Camera suffered a malfunction
that prevented it from pivoting up or down via remote. The problem was
determined to be on the Rover's end, which means Fendell wasn't
responsible for failing to get the full ascent.

Oh, to be sure, I'm impressed he managed at all. Just good timing and all.

Pretty impressive.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [

Old December 22nd 05, 04:55 AM posted to sci.space.history

Hi Jonathan, Yes, the camera was hand held. It's footage I found a few
months back! :-)

See

http://honeysucklecreek.net/Apollo_11/Ed_Super_8.html

and this footage seems to be the only record of the PLSSdumping.

Old December 22nd 05, 08:29 AM posted to sci.space.history

In message .com,
writes
Hi Jonathan, Yes, the camera was hand held. It's footage I found a few
months back! :-)

See

http://honeysucklecreek.net/Apollo_11/Ed_Super_8.html

and this footage seems to be the only record of the PLSSdumping.

All is explained! Thanks.
Was the LM launch seen by the camera?
Old December 22nd 05, 09:46 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:29:14 +0000, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

Was the LM launch seen by the camera?

....I'll answer that one: No. The reason given at the time was that the
the power was coming from the DM, and that all DM power was cut prior
to Ascent. No power, no camera, which is why we didn't get those
spectacular scenes until the Rover Cams arrived, which were powered by
the Rovers and not the DMs.

OM
--