Apollo 11 PLSS Jettison

Old December 19th 05, 11:19 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Apollo 11 PLSS Jettison

Over the weekend I was re-reading "First On The Moon" written in 1970 by the
Apollo 11 astronauts with Gene Farmer and Dora Hamblin when I came across a
couple of pages that stated that the depressurization of Eagle, the
jettisoning of the PLSS's and other unneeded equipment, and the
repressurization were watched on TV by Mission Control using the surface TV
camera.

Has any of that footage survived and is it available anywhere? I know it is
not on the Apollo 11 DVD set created by Spacecraftfilms.com.

And what about Apollo 14? I know there's nothing from Apollo 12 due to the
dead TV camera and Apollos 15 thru 17 had the LRV's TV camera set up well
behind the LM leaving no view.

Old December 20th 05, 12:16 AM posted to sci.space.history

"Vincent D. DeSimone" wrote in message
And what about Apollo 14? I know there's nothing from Apollo 12 due to

the
dead TV camera and Apollos 15 thru 17 had the LRV's TV camera set up well
behind the LM leaving no view.

I don't know about Apollo 11, but I believe on Apollo 17 they set up the TV
camera so that they could get a clear shot of the LM ascending from the
lunar surface. I have seen this footage a few times.

JD

Old December 20th 05, 12:44 AM posted to sci.space.history

There was footage from the Apollo 11 jettison, but it's not available on
the ALSJ website. If you contact NASA, it may now be available online.

The Apollo 14 jettison sequence is available he

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a14/a14v.1362340.ram

Old December 20th 05, 01:27 AM posted to sci.space.history

"Joe Delphi" wrote in message
"Vincent D. DeSimone" wrote in message
And what about Apollo 14? I know there's nothing from Apollo 12 due to

the
dead TV camera and Apollos 15 thru 17 had the LRV's TV camera set up

well
behind the LM leaving no view.

I don't know about Apollo 11, but I believe on Apollo 17 they set up the

TV
camera so that they could get a clear shot of the LM ascending from the
lunar surface. I have seen this footage a few times.

Actually it was the camera on the rover for Apollos 15,16,17.

It was operated from Houston by Captain Video (Ed Fendell).

He got it just right on Apollo 17.

JD

Old December 20th 05, 02:16 AM posted to sci.space.history

"Vincent D. DeSimone" wrote in message

Has any of that footage survived and is it available anywhere? I know it
is
not on the Apollo 11 DVD set created by Spacecraftfilms.com.

http://honeysucklecreek.net/video/PL...oneysuckle.mp4 4 MB file size.

-- JW

http://whizzospace.com

Old December 20th 05, 08:25 AM posted to sci.space.history

In message , John Whisenhunt
writes

"Vincent D. DeSimone" wrote in message

Has any of that footage survived and is it available anywhere? I know it
is
not on the Apollo 11 DVD set created by Spacecraftfilms.com.

http://honeysucklecreek.net/video/PL...oneysuckle.mp4 4 MB file size.

Why is the camera so shaky? It looks as if it was hand held :-)

Old December 20th 05, 05:11 PM posted to sci.space.history

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:27:59 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

Actually it was the camera on the rover for Apollos 15,16,17.

It was operated from Houston by Captain Video (Ed Fendell).

He got it just right on Apollo 17.

....In defense of Fendell, A15's Rover Camera suffered a malfunction
that prevented it from pivoting up or down via remote. The problem was
determined to be on the Rover's end, which means Fendell wasn't
responsible for failing to get the full ascent.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old December 20th 05, 08:50 PM posted to sci.space.history

The Apollo 14 jettison sequence is available he

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a14/a14v.1362340.ram

Thanks much!!!

Old December 21st 05, 01:12 AM posted to sci.space.history

wrote:

Actually it was the camera on the rover for Apollos 15,16,17.

It was operated from Houston by Captain Video (Ed Fendell).

He got it just right on Apollo 17.

...In defense of Fendell, A15's Rover Camera suffered a malfunction
that prevented it from pivoting up or down via remote. The problem was
determined to be on the Rover's end, which means Fendell wasn't
responsible for failing to get the full ascent.

Oh, to be sure, I'm impressed he managed at all. Just good timing and all.

Pretty impressive.

OM
--