Apollo/Saturn drawings

Old February 16th 05, 03:01 AM
dave.harper

Default Apollo/Saturn drawings

I wasn't born until 8 years after the moon landing, but I'm still in
awe of the technical accomplishment considering the time and
technology. I've always wanted to look over "some" (of the many
thousands of) mechanical drawings for Apollo. Is there any archive
that would have these? I'm sure some still exist, although I assume a
lot of them might be in a fprgptten box in a Lockheed warehouse
somewhere. Anyone know where I might be able to get my hands on some
copies?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Old February 16th 05, 10:02 AM
Harald Kucharek

dave.harper schrieb:
I wasn't born until 8 years after the moon landing, but I'm still in
awe of the technical accomplishment considering the time and
technology. I've always wanted to look over "some" (of the many
thousands of) mechanical drawings for Apollo. Is there any archive
that would have these? I'm sure some still exist, although I assume a
lot of them might be in a fprgptten box in a Lockheed warehouse
somewhere.

This would have to be a forgotten warehouse, not just a box in some.
Old February 16th 05, 03:40 PM
Ed Kyle

Some documents have been archived in research libraries. One,
including research materials used for the official NASA Saturn
histories, is at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.

"http://www.uah.edu/library/about/department/collections.htm#saturn"

You can go see this stuff, even spend hours doing research on it, but
you have to be escorted at all times, etc.

- Ed Kyle

Old February 16th 05, 07:13 PM
OM

On 15 Feb 2005 19:01:09 -0800, "dave.harper"
wrote:

I wasn't born until 8 years after the moon landing, but I'm still in
awe of the technical accomplishment considering the time and
technology. I've always wanted to look over "some" (of the many
thousands of) mechanical drawings for Apollo. Is there any archive
that would have these? I'm sure some still exist, although I assume a
lot of them might be in a fprgptten box in a Lockheed warehouse
somewhere. Anyone know where I might be able to get my hands on some
copies?

"Uh, they were all destroyed after Apollo was cancelled, so that the
Saturns would never be built again. But since we never went to the
Moon anyway, it doesn't matter. Especially if our EBE Overloards say
we never went to the Moon. Anyone seen my foil hat?"

Ima Retard
Moon Hoax Moron

Old February 16th 05, 09:54 PM
dave.harper

Wow, thanks for the info. The contact there said she had a drawing
hanging up on the wall in the library. I've even been in there before,
and never knew that was there!

Thanks again!
Dave

Old February 17th 05, 12:29 AM
Scott Lowther

Ed Kyle wrote:

Some documents have been archived in research libraries. One,
including research materials used for the official NASA Saturn
histories, is at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.

"http://www.uah.edu/library/about/department/collections.htm#saturn"

You can go see this stuff, even spend hours doing research on it, but
you have to be escorted at all times, etc.

Not exactly (unless things have changed in the last year or so). I
visitted Huntsville on a business trip 13 months ago, and visited the
UAH library to research Saturn. What I wound up doing was persuadign the
special collectiosn librarian to jsut start packing the collections onto
a cart in chronological order, starting at the beginning, and wheeling
it out to me in the regular study area. I got up to, IIRC, 1968 or so
before my time ran out. About burned out my scanner and the local
photocopier, but I got away with a ****load of stuff, all without any
real headache.
Old February 17th 05, 12:37 AM
dave.harper

Did they have many mechanical drawings available? Not just overviews,
cutaways, or figures... but real production drawings with material
call-outs, notes, part numbers, etc?

Thanks,
Dave

Old February 17th 05, 12:55 AM
Herb Schaltegger

In article .com,
"dave.harper" wrote:

Did they have many mechanical drawings available? Not just overviews,
cutaways, or figures... but real production drawings with material
call-outs, notes, part numbers, etc?

Thanks,
Dave

I don't know if UAH does but I'm damn certain the MSFC technical
library does, or did when I was at Boeing in the early 90's, 'cause I
had to research some material specs and kept running across references
to other Apollo-era drawings in their library.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D., GPG Key ID: BBF6FC1C
"The loss of the American system of checks and balances is more of a security
Old February 17th 05, 01:50 AM
Ed Kyle

Scott Lowther wrote:
Ed Kyle wrote:

[...]

I hope they can continue such accessibility,
but it could cause them trouble. I'm aware of
similar non-space-related collections at
university libraries that have been serially
pilfered over a period of time - even when
people had to sign in to access the
collections.

I would love to see this stuff digitized and
made available via. Internet.

- Ed Kyle

Old February 17th 05, 07:16 AM
Scott Lowther

dave.harper wrote:

Did they have many mechanical drawings available? Not just overviews,
cutaways, or figures... but real production drawings with material
call-outs, notes, part numbers, etc?

Not that I saw. I did get some good inboard profiels of the various
Saturn vehicles and stages, but the collection was more for reports than
for drawings. The production drawings are archived on microfilm elsewhere.