Dob question

Old July 2nd 07, 11:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
brucegooglegroups

Default Dob question

I am thinking of buying a 8 inch Dob. Recommendations?

Also, is it practical to bring the Dob outside by carrying the mount
first, then the tube? Weight is an issue for me, and I would prefer to
carry a lighter load for setup.

Any comments on the Intelliscope?
Clear Skies.
Bruce

Old July 3rd 07, 12:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:07:58 -0700, brucegooglegroups
wrote:

Also, is it practical to bring the Dob outside by carrying the mount
first, then the tube? Weight is an issue for me, and I would prefer to
carry a lighter load for setup.

That's how you do it: put the mount in a convenient spot, then put the
tube on the mount.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old July 3rd 07, 12:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names[_1_]

On Jul 2, 6:07 pm, brucegooglegroups
wrote:
I am thinking of buying a 8 inch Dob. Recommendations?

Also, is it practical to bring the Dob outside by carrying the mount
first, then the tube? Weight is an issue for me, and I would prefer to
carry a lighter load for setup.

Any comments on the Intelliscope?
Clear Skies.
Bruce

You will be pleased with the Orion XT-8 Intelliscope.

Remember -- you do not have to use the Intelliscope -- the XT-8
operates like a "normal" Dob -- if you want to use the Intelliscope,
plug in the Intelliscope computer and use it -- otherwise, just use
the scope.

The Intelliscope does not "drive" the scope the same way a GO-TO
scope's motors drive it. Instead, you set up the scope with the tube
vertical then you find two alignment stars -- center the first star,
hit ENTER, center the second star, hit ENTER, the scope is now aligned
-- then, you call up whatever you want to see -- for example, call up
M31 -- and the Intelliscope tells you to push the tube right/left, up/
down then it indicates when you are pointed at the selected object.

You do not want to leave the base outside -- it's particle board with
a laminate coating but it soon would disintegrate from exposure to
rain.

It's a simple matter to carry the base, plunk it on the ground, go
back and get the tube.

I have an XT-12 Intelliscope -- it's one BIG SUCKER -- I had an XT-8
and plan to get another one -- it's easier to handle than the XT-12.

Old July 3rd 07, 01:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

On Jul 2, 5:07 pm, brucegooglegroups
wrote:
I am thinking of buying a 8 inch Dob. Recommendations?

Also, is it practical to bring the Dob outside by carrying the mount
first, then the tube? Weight is an issue for me, and I would prefer to
carry a lighter load for setup.

Any comments on the Intelliscope?
Clear Skies.
Bruce

Comments? Don't. ;-)

Seriously, if all you want to do is look, an 8-inch Dobbie ain't a bad
choice. The Intelliscope isn't exactly an Obsession, but it's fine.
Yes, in fact most people separate mount and tube. The only downcheck
I've given 'em is that I've thought the aziumuth motion was just a wee
bit too hard. They may have fixed that by now, though, and if not, it
would be easy enough to tune up.

Unk Rod

Old July 3rd 07, 02:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
goodnigh

"brucegooglegroups" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking of buying a 8 inch Dob. Recommendations?

Also, is it practical to bring the Dob outside by carrying the mount
first, then the tube? Weight is an issue for me, and I would prefer to
carry a lighter load for setup.

Any comments on the Intelliscope?
Clear Skies.
Bruce

Never owned a Dob but I am buying one
this year to take to a Yosemite star party.
Took a 5" goto Celestron StarSeeker last year and.....
This year I am taking a 10" Intelliscope.
No batteries, no computers and no setup.
Just point it and enjoy the view.

With all the computerized scopes available to
the amateur, star hopping is becoming a lost art.

Old July 3rd 07, 02:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

"goodnigh" wrote in message
ink.net...
"brucegooglegroups" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking of buying a 8 inch Dob. Recommendations?

Also, is it practical to bring the Dob outside by carrying the mount
first, then the tube? Weight is an issue for me, and I would prefer to
carry a lighter load for setup.

Any comments on the Intelliscope?
Clear Skies.
Bruce

Never owned a Dob but I am buying one
this year to take to a Yosemite star party.
Took a 5" goto Celestron StarSeeker last year and.....
This year I am taking a 10" Intelliscope.
No batteries, no computers and no setup.
Just point it and enjoy the view.

With all the computerized scopes available to
the amateur, star hopping is becoming a lost art.

Not to start an argument, but I'd submit that light pollution has a lot more
to do with star hopping being a lost art that goto telescopes. It's pretty
hard to star hop when you can't _see_ what you're hopping from.

Old July 3rd 07, 03:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
mitch

picture this...a monster truck show featuring dobs...

07 pm, brucegooglegroups

Old July 3rd 07, 03:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

On Jul 2, 8:50 pm, "John Nichols" wrote:
"goodnigh" wrote in message

ink.net...

"brucegooglegroups" wrote in message
roups.com...
I am thinking of buying a 8 inch Dob. Recommendations?

Also, is it practical to bring the Dob outside by carrying the mount
first, then the tube? Weight is an issue for me, and I would prefer to
carry a lighter load for setup.

Any comments on the Intelliscope?
Clear Skies.
Bruce

Never owned a Dob but I am buying one
this year to take to a Yosemite star party.
Took a 5" goto Celestron StarSeeker last year and.....
This year I am taking a 10" Intelliscope.
No batteries, no computers and no setup.
Just point it and enjoy the view.

With all the computerized scopes available to
the amateur, star hopping is becoming a lost art.

Not to start an argument, but I'd submit that light pollution has a lot more
to do with star hopping being a lost art that goto telescopes. It's pretty
hard to star hop when you can't _see_ what you're hopping from.- Hide quoted text -

Amen. Around here, you can see the Virgo galaxies...if you can find
'em...but there are no stars visible to the naked eye between Virgo's
arms. Yeah, you can run 'em down with a good finder...but even
then...go-to or DSCs make astronomy a lot more fun in the city.

Unk Rod

Old July 3rd 07, 04:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

"RMOLLISE" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 2, 8:50 pm, "John Nichols" wrote:
"goodnigh" wrote in message

ink.net...

[...]

And this is why I intend to buy a goto when I have saved up enough for the
type of SCT that I want. I am sick and tired of not being able to find
things in a sky that is obscured by so much background light. I figure it
this way, once I can see something, then I'll have better luck finding it
again independently, plus I'll have the pleasure of actually seeing the
object that I was interested in in the first place.

Old July 3rd 07, 09:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Jul 3, 8:20 am, "John Nichols" wrote:
"RMOLLISE" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 2, 8:50 pm, "John Nichols" wrote:
"goodnigh" wrote in message

hlink.net...

[...]

Well, I have pretty dark skies for suburbia (maybe hovering around 5.1
to 5.5, even though the Clear Sky Clock claims they hit 6.1) and still
wouldn't do without my digital setting circles (a Magellan 1 system
from Meade). This product makes all the difference between
frustration and satisfaction for me.

--Martin R. Howell
Moderated sci.astro.amateur
www.moderatedsciastroamateur.org