Asteroid fragments on a fast collision course

Old August 24th 04, 04:50 AM
Dark Matters

Default Asteroid fragments on a fast collision course

Asteroid fragments on a fast collision course

Over a million large asteroids, each several kilometres wide, are orbiting
the Sun in a belt between Mars and Jupiter. There are sometimes violent
collisions. Until now, it has been thought that the re-sulting asteroid
fragments would need several million years to reach the Earth. New
measurements from the Noble Gas Laboratory of ETH Zurich show however, that
the Earth could be reached much sooner. This knowl-edge is significant for
the prediction of future meteorite impacts on Earth.

http://www.starsandplanets.info/news...7&section=news

Interesting...

Old August 24th 04, 06:18 AM
Painius

"Dark Matters" wrote...
in message ...

Asteroid fragments on a fast collision course

Over a million large asteroids, each several kilometres wide, are orbiting
the Sun in a belt between Mars and Jupiter. There are sometimes violent
collisions. Until now, it has been thought that the re-sulting asteroid
fragments would need several million years to reach the Earth. New
measurements from the Noble Gas Laboratory of ETH Zurich show however,

that
the Earth could be reached much sooner. This knowl-edge is significant for
the prediction of future meteorite impacts on Earth.

http://www.starsandplanets.info/news...7&section=news

Interesting...

I wonder if the NGL people at ETH Zurich have taken into
account that their meteorites were a bit larger before they
encountered Earth's atmosphere. There may have been
significantly greater amounts of noble gas in the original
fragments which also might mean significantly longer travel
time.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
A smidgeon of fear, a sprinkle of strife
And a whole lot of love till your cold...

Paine Ellsworth

Old August 24th 04, 10:10 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message ,
Painius writes
"Dark Matters" wrote...
in message ...

[...]

But the inside of a meteorite isn't heated by passage through the
atmosphere. It's too quick. I'm sure they would avoid the outer parts
and the fusion crust.
Old August 25th 04, 06:48 PM
Hop David

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

I wonder if the NGL people at ETH Zurich have taken into
account that their meteorites were a bit larger before they
encountered Earth's atmosphere. There may have been
significantly greater amounts of noble gas in the original
fragments which also might mean significantly longer travel
time.

But the inside of a meteorite isn't heated by passage through the
atmosphere. It's too quick. I'm sure they would avoid the outer parts
and the fusion crust.

How penetrating are the cosmic rays? If most of them stop in the outer
surface then you'd find higher concentrations of the Noble gas in the
shell of the meteorite that gets burned off.

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old August 28th 04, 08:31 AM
Painius

"Hop David" wrote in message...

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

Painius wrote...

I wonder if the NGL people at ETH Zurich have taken into
account that their meteorites were a bit larger before they
encountered Earth's atmosphere. There may have been
significantly greater amounts of noble gas in the original
fragments which also might mean significantly longer travel
time.

But the inside of a meteorite isn't heated by passage through the
atmosphere. It's too quick. I'm sure they would avoid the outer parts
and the fusion crust.

How penetrating are the cosmic rays? If most of them stop in the outer
surface then you'd find higher concentrations of the Noble gas in the
shell of the meteorite that gets burned off.

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

A relatively few of the components of cosmic rays are extremely
energetic and penetrating... most components are not. I don't
see why the findings are compelling enough to accept shorter
travel times.

BTW, nice web site, Hop! I've seen that "Tunnel" idea before,
long ago... angels and demons together in this manner. I notice
that it's one of the one's for which you don't show a copyright.
Do you know who originated it?

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Tender hearts wear crying mask,
With eyes and tears that burn,

Paine Ellsworth

Old August 30th 04, 09:44 AM
Hop David

Painius wrote:
"Hop David" wrote in message...

[...]

That's what I think. Though I readily admit my opinion is only that of
an interested layman.

BTW, nice web site, Hop!

Thank you!

I've seen that "Tunnel" idea before,
long ago... angels and demons together in this manner. I notice
that it's one of the one's for which you don't show a copyright.
Do you know who originated it?

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

M.C. Escher did an angel-devil tessellation.
http://plus.maths.org/issue18/xfile/

However my angel-devil tessellation is different. It's one of my
original tiles. The "impossible figure" is Peter Raedschelders' device.
I had the angels and devils entering & exiting the tunnel to draw
attention to the "impossible" part of the city (which I didn't notice
the first few times I looked at it).

Both Peter and I are big fans of Escher.

Old September 4th 04, 11:40 AM
0035

Hop David wrote:
Painius wrote:
"Hop David" wrote in message...

[...]

Nothing to worry about now. Taken care of...
0035