ASTRO: Arp 199 under very poor seeing

Old April 9th 12, 08:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 199 under very poor seeing

Arp 199 is a pair of apparently interacting galaxies in Bootes about 150
million light-years distant. The pair consists of NGC 5544 and NGC 5545
right (west) to left (east). Arp's classed them under his very odd
category of "Material Ejected from Nuclei". While that may apply to Arp
337 (M82) he didn't put it in this category. I have no idea what he
meant as the ejected material. The entire NGC 5545? His comment would
say otherwise: "Spirals appear disturbed".

NGC 5544 looks like a barred spiral with an inner ring connected to the
bar and a nearly equally bright outer ring not connected to the bar.
Other than the double ring it doesn't appear all that disturbed to me
though parts of it are hidden behind the obviously closer NGC 5545. NED
classes it as (R)SB(rs)0/a. The NGC Project disagrees saying it is an
ordinary Sa spiral with no bar. Sure looks like a bar to me.

NGC 5545 appears to be a somewhat disturbed spiral. NED classes it
SA(s)bc while the NGC Project say Sb-c using its simpler system. At
least they agree on this one. Red shift puts NGC 5545 slightly further
away which can't be correct since it is hiding part of NGC 5544 which is
slightly closer by redshift alone. The difference is due to both
measuring accuracy and relative velocity. Thus NGC 5544 is moving
toward NGC 5545 so the collision, if there is one, is still in the
future. What we can't measure is the lateral velocity. It could be
that NGC 5545 will have moved to the side by the time NGC 5544 gets to
its distance.

The other NGC galaxy is NGC 5557 in the lower left of my image. It's
distance by redshift is slightly greater than Arp 199. Still it is
quite likely they are part of the same group of galaxies. The NGC
project classes it simply as E. It certainly is an elliptical. NED
calls it E1 and a note at NED says it is classic E2. These
classifications would indicate it is slightly elongated which it appears
to be in my image.

In making the annotated image I accidentally ran across three galaxies
not in NED's database even though many far fainter and smaller galaxies
were included. Two of the three are very blue which seems to often be
the case. Some systematic error must be at play here. The three are
marked by a question mark. I didn't search for others so likely there
are more in the image.

Also look left (east) and slightly north (up) of Arp 199. There's an
area of a faint glow. I thought this a reflection at first but went
back through my data to find an unusable frame from a year previously
taken with a quite different camera position, better framing NGC 5557
with Arp 199. The glow is seen in this image at exactly the same spot
so must be real. Probably some faint IFN or something akin to it.

Seeing was very poor when this was taken. I'd hoped to retry it by now
but this year has been far worse for both seeing and transparency than
last so it isn't happening (snowing very lightly as I type this). This
fuzzy version will have to do for now.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10 RGB=2x10x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP199L4X10RGB2X10X3.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	4041  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP199L4X10RGB2X10X3-ID.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	4042