ASTRO: Magakian 102/GN 05.26.7

Old March 18th 12, 09:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Magakian 102/GN 05.26.7

Ok, that's about as obscure as you can get. Magakian 102/GN 05.26.7 is
a reflection nebula in Auriga about one and a half degrees east of IC
410. A note in the Magakian catalog says "2-3 nebulae". I first
noticed it on a beautiful image by Tom Davis as a tiny blue object on
his image.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...2/Main/4299382
I added it to my to-do list. Soon thereafter it was in my imaging
window. Of course this was February 2011. Turned out to be a
worthwhile object. Two stars to the north also seem to have small
reflection nebula around them. I wasn't able to find any catalog entry
for them at SIMBAD. Could these be what the note in the Magakian
catalog is referring to? The Magakian catalog is a compilation in RA
order of many different catalogs of reflection nebulae; RK, VdB, VdBh,
Ber, NGC/IC, GN, BBWo, Ced, SS, and a few others but not LBN. It
contains 913 entries.

Notice the drop off in stars to the upper left of my image compared to
the lower right. It appears the nebula is only a small illuminated area
of a much larger dust cloud.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GN05-26-7L4X10RGB2X10X3.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	547.3 KB
ID:	4002  Click image for larger version

Name:	GN05-26-7L4X10RGB2X10X3CROP.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	4003
Old March 19th 12, 09:37 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

I just realized there are two asteroids in the image. (30778) Doblin and (39884) 1998 ET11 at magnitudes 18.2 and 18.5 respectively though it appears that Doblin is the fainter of the two in my image. It also hardly moved so is hard to see as an asteroid but for the red, green and blue dots after its luminance trail. Doblin's name citation reads:

"(30778) Döblin = 1987 SX10
German narrative writer Alfred Döblin (1878-1957) originated from a Jewish merchant family. A doctor by profession, he lived in exile in France and the U.S. during 1933-1945. From his extensive literary work best known are his novels Berlin Alexanderplatz (1929) and Babylonische Wanderung (1934)."

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GN05-26-7L4X10RGB2X10X3r-ID.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	4004
Old March 21st 12, 08:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Beautiful image Rick.
That's an object I definately will not try to image, much too faint for
me...

Stefan

. com...

Old March 21st 12, 08:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

"Berlin Alexanderplatz" is obligatory lecture over here at school.
I did not know that he has an asteroid named after him.

Stefan

Old March 22nd 12, 09:34 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA0CKY View Post
I just realized there are two asteroids in the image. (30778) Doblin and (39884) 1998 ET11 at magnitudes 18.2 and 18.5 respectively though it appears that Doblin is the fainter of the two in my image. It also hardly moved so is hard to see as an asteroid but for the red, green and blue dots after its luminance trail. Doblin's name citation reads:

"(30778) Döblin = 1987 SX10
German narrative writer Alfred Döblin (1878-1957) originated from a Jewish merchant family. A doctor by profession, he lived in exile in France and the U.S. during 1933-1945. From his extensive literary work best known are his novels Berlin Alexanderplatz (1929) and Babylonische Wanderung (1934)."

Rick
Boy when I screw up I do it twice. First I missed the above two asteroids and now am told by Robin Geys of Belgium I missed a third. Indeed I did. It is (102161) 1999 RM217 at magnitude 18.3. It is moving nearly vertically at the very end if its retrograde cycle. So I've attached yet another annotated image. I usually set the search radius at 20 minutes of arc to catch the entire frame. I must have set it either smaller or with the wrong center. That's what I get doing this at 3 a.m.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GN05-26-7L4X10RGB2X10X3r1-ID.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	4009
Old March 22nd 12, 10:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I'd never heard of it, or so I thought. But when I Googled it I found
reference to a 15.5 hour movie based on it. Then I recalled when it ran
at the art theater on the campus where I taught. It ran 3 days running
about 5 hours a day. Only those who saw the previous days run were
allowed back for the later days. Caused some hard feelings among
students as they ran it during the time of many mid-term exams and
students who had an exam had to miss a day and all after that. Caused
quite an uproar. They never ran a similarly long film after that so
don't know if they changed their policy or not. Doesn't sound like my
type of movie anyway.

Note I've been told I missed a third asteroid so have posted yet another
cropped annotated image picking it up. Unnamed as yet.

Rick