Probability of Being Hit By a Meteorite

Old January 16th 07, 11:20 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Default Probability of Being Hit By a Meteorite

Double-A A large fast meteorite hitting the water begs the question will
it create a tidal wave or just an up and down wave. Be careful its
tricky stuff Bert

Old January 18th 07, 01:30 AM posted to alt.astronomy
steve[_1_]

If we are talking about the probability of being killed by a meteorite
or its effects , I think that it could be much higher.
A big meteorite could kill everyone on Earth similar to the effect on
the dinosaurs. If such a meteorite hit happens every billion years and
the population of earth is something around 5 billion people , I think
that means the odds are 5 people per year, or the chance per person is
once every 3 months.

Old January 18th 07, 01:53 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Warhol[_2_]

steve wrote:
If we are talking about the probability of being killed by a meteorite
or its effects , I think that it could be much higher.
A big meteorite could kill everyone on Earth similar to the effect on
the dinosaurs. If such a meteorite hit happens every billion years and
the population of earth is something around 5 billion people , I think
that means the odds are 5 people per year, or the chance per person is
once every 3 months.

GOOD LOGIC... BRAVO.

SO SAUL NOW YOU KNOWN THE PROBILITY...

Thank you very much ... our team could use people like you... in our
combat against the fallen Coffee Boy's.

Old January 18th 07, 03:31 AM posted to alt.astronomy
steve[_1_]

I think
that means the odds are 5 people per year, or the chance per person is
once every 3 months.

This should be "the chance of death is one person every 3 months on
average"

Old January 18th 07, 09:34 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Reality is on some planets right in our Milky Way galaxy there are very
intelligent people that don't leave their homes without putting on their
hard hat. Some use stainless steel umbrellas. Most ride under
ground. They have lots more comets and a much more dense solar system
It has to be,and this teaches us not all is relative to us Bert

Old February 3rd 07, 07:14 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Saul Levy Saul Levy is offline
Banned

There's a serious error in your thinking, steve. The probability is
one in a billion, not one every 3 months. Next time think of reality
when you make such a statement.

Saul Levy

Old February 3rd 07, 07:16 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Saul Levy Saul Levy is offline
Banned

Now you clearly show you know nothing of probability either, WartPlug!
Good job! See my reply to steve dated today.

Hint: It's one in a billion.

Saul Levy

Old February 3rd 07, 07:21 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Saul Levy Saul Levy is offline
Banned

No, steve.

Saul Levy

Old February 8th 07, 09:55 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

I really have on idea how you got 1 in a billion ... you have to
realize that such a hit with kill everyone on earth (with a expection
of those hidden in secret places built by goverments around the
world) ...

anyways, although it might seem weird, the probability of being killed
by a meteor is actually higher than that of dying in a plane crash.
Now, of course, many more deaths are documented to have resulted from
a plane crash than from meteor impacts, however, you have to realize
that while a single plane crash results in a death of one or two
hundreds of people, a meteors with a diamiar of a few of 10s of meters
impacting the earth in the 'right place' can viritually kill
millions ... hence the probability of a person being killed by a
meteor is so high ...

Acer