Comfortable observing positions?

Old August 9th 05, 02:19 PM
ag73

Default Comfortable observing positions?

Hi all,

I've been enjoying using my LX90 for the past couple of weeks but an
ongoing back complaint has started to play up (I tore a disc earlier
this year). Bending over for long periods to look through the eyepiece
seems to be causing the problem.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this and if so how have you
overcome them?

Are observing chairs worth the money?

Cheers,

Andy.

Old August 9th 05, 02:34 PM
Pete Lawrence

On 9 Aug 2005 06:19:15 -0700, "ag73" wrote:

Hi all,

I've been enjoying using my LX90 for the past couple of weeks but an
ongoing back complaint has started to play up (I tore a disc earlier
this year). Bending over for long periods to look through the eyepiece
seems to be causing the problem.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this and if so how have you
overcome them?

Are observing chairs worth the money?

After one morning going to bed at just past 1am, followed by three
going to bed at 04:20 BST, the most comfortable observing position for
me is going to be lying down in bed. Just bought a new mattress too.
Boy is that thing comfortable - so my wife tells me :-(

Best method of improving back pain is to get into imaging Andy ;-)

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old August 9th 05, 06:12 PM
John Carruthers

but an ongoing back complaint has started to play up (I tore a disc
earlier

this year). Bending over for long periods to look through the eyepiece
seems to be causing the problem.

Know the feeling Andy :-(

Are observing chairs worth the money?

Absolutely, try googling for "Denver chair" an easy to make observing
chair, it's doubled my observing time and halved the discomfort :-)

--
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/jc_atm/

Old August 9th 05, 06:15 PM
Norman Silverstone

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 14:34:25 +0100, Pete Lawrence wrote:

On 9 Aug 2005 06:19:15 -0700, "ag73" wrote:

Hi all,

I've been enjoying using my LX90 for the past couple of weeks but an
ongoing back complaint has started to play up (I tore a disc earlier
this year). Bending over for long periods to look through the eyepiece
seems to be causing the problem.

snip

Best method of improving back pain is to get into imaging Andy ;-)

I also have problems in observing due to back etc. What is the minimum of
equipment one needs in order to do as you suggest and what are the
pitfalls to watch out for?

Norman

Old August 10th 05, 08:01 AM
Stephen Tonkin

ag73 wrote:
Has anyone else experienced problems like this and if so how have you
overcome them?

Yes. I sold my telescopes and got big binocs. Best move I ever made!

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old August 10th 05, 09:49 PM
Chris.B

There is a lot to be said for a refractor of modest length on a tall
pier, a star diagonal and a variable height chair. I arrange my
eyepiece to be easily reached with the scope between roughly 40 and 60
degrees altitude. I lower my chair for overhead viewing and raise it
for lower altitudes. Though it is usually a waste of time to try
viewing anything below 30 degrees here due to poor seeing I drape
myself over a stepladder when absolutely necessary.

Even better would be a hydraulic pier or to arrange rise and fall in
some other way.

The idea of a counterbalanced dobsonian with the eyepiece/focusser
viewing through an altitude bearing was discussed here in the past.

Chris.B

Old August 11th 05, 07:25 PM
CLT

Best method of improving back pain is to get into imaging Andy ;-)

I also have problems in observing due to back etc. What is the minimum of
equipment one needs in order to do as you suggest and what are the
pitfalls to watch out for?

Careful Andy, he's leading you down to the dark side. The primary benefit to
your back is your wallet will be lighter. Your ego will also shrink as you
compare your photos to Pete's. g

The observing chairs are a good investment for your back.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

To reply, remove Delete and change period com to period net
************************************************** ************

Old August 12th 05, 10:08 AM
Jezzer

I have an LX10 - very similar to the LX90 in terms of viewing position
I would imagine. I too suffer from occasional back problems (pulled
muscles - nothing too serious). I find that bending over to observe is
almost exactly the worst thing for my back. However - the cure is
simple. Sit down. The LX10 eyepiece is at the perfect height for
sitting at no matter where the scope is pointed. I also read somewhere
(can't remember where) that sitting while observing is worth another 2
inches of aperture (or was it 2 orders of magnitude?). Anyway - the
point is that you see a whole lot more if you're seated.

I don't have any fancy observing chair - although that would be nice. I
just use an ordinary plastic garden chair.

cheers

Jeremy

Old August 12th 05, 05:50 PM
Chris.B

One can occasionally buy office chairs at charity shops that have a
lever-operated, gas strut rise and fall. I'm using one for my browsing
chair. Very comfy too.

Chris.B

Old August 12th 05, 10:28 PM
ag73

Hi all,

Many thanks for the numerous responses. Considering garden space,
budget, etc., I'm going to get a basic storage shed so I can keep the
scope set up and I'm going to get an observing chair. From intitial
investigations that seems a lot cheaper than a permanent mounting for
the telescope or a dedicated observatory! Maybe next year ...

Cheers,

Andy.