Terraforming the moon, before doing Mars or Venus

Old January 12th 05, 11:14 PM
Brad Guth

Default Terraforming the moon, before doing Mars or Venus

In case you haven't figured this one out; this topic is about the ISS
being appropriately re-utilized on behalf of science and humanity.

One of the existing methods of getting whatever onto the moon is by
utilizing the same method as per getting stuff onto Mars. However, for
this efficient method to work we'll need to create a slight atmosphere
of perhaps 0.01 bar (similar to the maximum obtainable on Mars), thus
with nearly half the gravity represents roughly 4 times the payload can
be safely delivered. Such as per those LUNAR-A probes and of my Javelin
Probes could certainly use a little aerobreaking and final alignment as
per having a slight aerodynamic influence to work with.

With an atmosphere of CO2/Rn created by way of our artificially
impacting the moon with bombs of CO2/Rn and perhaps even a bit of frozen
H2O, most of which should stick around for improving the tonnage of
lunar atmosphere. I'm still thinking of roughly the 1000:1 ratio of
whatever transpires per tonne of whatever's impacting the moon. Thus
each tonne delivered creates 1000 tonnes worth of vaporised basalt
that's mostly comprised of O2. At some point mother nature could kick
into accomplishing more of the same.

Of course, for the station-keeping perspective of ISS being almost too
good to be true, the task of deploying the Javelin Probes and/or of just
about any instruments via tether seems rather nifty. In which case the
ongoing efforts at terraforming the moon could remain as a long-term
effort of decades, which is still quicker and far cheaper than doing
anything about Mars.

Having ISS as per station-keeping at the ME-L1 zone would greatly
improve the odds of obtaining at least robotic surface access to the
lunar He3, plus subsequently affording all sorts of Earth/moon and
interplanetary science that's way past due.

Regards, Brad Guth / GASA-IEIS
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-javelin-probes.htm

Old January 13th 05, 05:31 PM
Brad Guth

In case you haven't figured this one out; this topic is as much about
ISS being affordably and very appropriately re-utilized on behalf of
science and humanity, as much as this is about terraforming our moon for
the good of humanity.

Without ISS station-keeping at ME-L1, one of the alternative methods of
potentially getting whatever onto the moon is by way of utilizing the
same technology as per getting stuff onto Mars. However, for this
semi-efficient method to work we'll need to create a slight atmosphere
of perhaps 0.01 bar (similar to the maximum obtainable on Mars).

At 0.01 bar and nearly half the gravity of Mars represents roughly 4
times the payload can be safely delivered, such as per those LUNAR-A
probes and of my Javelin Probes could certainly use a little
aerobreaking and final pre-impact alignment as per having a slight
aerodynamic influence to work with.

With a thin atmosphere of CO2/Rn, established by way of our artificially
impacting the moon with bombs of CO2/Rn and perhaps even a bit of frozen
H2O, I'm told most of which should stick around for improving the
tonnage of lunar atmosphere. I'm still thinking of roughly the 1000:1
ratio is what should transpire per tonne of whatever's impacting the
moon. Thus each tonne delivered creates at least 1000 tonnes worth of
vaporised basalt that's mostly comprised of O2. However, of taking the
head-on delivery of impacting at 30+km/s is where this ratio should
become as great as 1e6:1, as certainly emphasized by those Leonid meteor
impacts which enabled the excavation of such mass tonnage of sodium.
I've also been informed that at some point in this process is where a
given atmospheric threshold enables mother nature to kick into
accomplishing more of the same.

Of course, for the station-keeping perspective of ISS being almost too
good to be true, the task of deploying the Javelin Probes and/or of just
about any robotic instruments via tether seems rather nifty. In which
case the ongoing efforts at terraforming the moon could remain as a
long-term effort of decades, which is still quicker and far cheaper than
doing anything about Mars. At least thus far there's absolutely nothing
available on Mars that humanity needs, and we certainly don't need the
aftermath pollution of 1000:1 tonnes of whatever we manage to send
towards Mars, as that's become one hell of a spendy environmental impact
for Earth.

Having ISS as per station-keeping within the ME-L1 zone would simply
greatly improve the odds of obtaining our best ever robotic surface
access to the stash of lunar He3, plus subsequently affording all sorts
of Earth/moon and interplanetary science that's way past due. Crew
rotations could minimize the TBI factor to within reasonable limits of
where banked bone marrow should offer a sufficient backup plan.

Regards, Brad Guth / GASA-IEIS
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-javelin-probes.htm
The basic LSE-CM/ISS
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm