New moon and mars missions...

Old January 16th 04, 12:46 AM
Robert Kent

Default New moon and mars missions...

I think the president has his priorities wrong. As much as I would love to
see colonies on the moon and manned missions to mars, why are we doing it
now? It costs over $10,000 per pound to put cargo and people into low earth
orbit. Wouldn't it be better to find a way to greatly reduce this price
first?

Could we build a launch system that could put material in orbit for $100 per
pound? What will it take to get there?

Old January 16th 04, 01:54 AM
David Anderman

The current plan is to use advanced technology to reduce the mass that needs
to be sent into orbit and beyond for exploratory missions. So, rather than
make a rocket that is twice as cheap, the payload will instead be half the
size.

Old January 16th 04, 02:36 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
"David Anderman" wrote:

The current plan is to use advanced technology to reduce the mass that needs
to be sent into orbit and beyond for exploratory missions. So, rather than
make a rocket that is twice as cheap, the payload will instead be half the
size.

In the near term, it's probably better than trying to depend on
inventing unobtanium to make your system work.
Old January 16th 04, 11:41 PM
Hallerb

I think the president has his priorities wrong. As much as I would love to
see colonies on the moon and manned missions to mars, why are we doing it
now? It costs over $10,000 per pound to put cargo and people into low

earthorbit. Wouldn't it be better to find a way to greatly reduce this price
first?

Could we build a launch system that could put material in orbit for $100 per
pound? What will it take to get there?

Low cost to orbit houyld be the first and foremosat goal. Because it helps make
everything coming after it affordable.

Sadly this would mean less pork and jobs, unless the volume of launches
increased dramatrically.

ths its not a election year kinda thing to do.

bushes plan is smoke and mirrors to help get him votes, and to be nearly
forgotten b7y ovember 3rd

Old January 18th 04, 03:47 PM
Nick Hull

In article ,
"David Anderman" wrote:

The current plan is to use advanced technology to reduce the mass that needs
to be sent into orbit and beyond for exploratory missions. So, rather than
make a rocket that is twice as cheap, the payload will instead be half the
size.

Calling all midgets; apply for astronaut training now.

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Old January 18th 04, 08:06 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Nick Hull
writes
In article ,
"David Anderman" wrote:

The current plan is to use advanced technology to reduce the mass that needs
to be sent into orbit and beyond for exploratory missions. So, rather than
make a rocket that is twice as cheap, the payload will instead be half the
size.

Calling all midgets; apply for astronaut training now.

IIRC, using amputees has already been half-seriously considered. No legs
to get in the way, less problem with blood pooling where it shouldn't in
microgravity.
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10