Synopsis of Apr 2016 "Astronomy Magazine" review of Sky-Watcher 127 Mak:

Old March 16th 16, 05:03 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default Synopsis of Apr 2016 "Astronomy Magazine" review of Sky-Watcher 127 Mak:

"I like the scope very very very very much. I look at a lot lot lot of things. They were very very very very nice. This is a really really really really good scope."

HIGHLY technical, as you can see!
Old March 16th 16, 02:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 1:03:16 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
"I like the scope very very very very much. I look at a lot lot lot of things. They were very very very very nice. This is a really really really really good scope."

HIGHLY technical, as you can see!

That review was rather lame, quite accurate but incomplete. I solved the problem a few years ago by dropping my subscription. Although, to be fair, it was Astronomy that started the Dob Revolution... about 35 years ago.
Old March 16th 16, 04:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

On 3/16/16 7:26 AM, wrote:
Although, to be fair, it was Astronomy that started the Dob Revolution... about 35 years ago.

Not John Dobson, then?
Who would have guessed?
Old March 16th 16, 04:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 10:35:56 AM UTC-6, lal_truckee wrote:
On 3/16/16 7:26 AM, wrote:

Although, to be fair, it was Astronomy that started the Dob Revolution... about 35 years ago.

Not John Dobson, then?
Who would have guessed?

Well, Astronomy Magazine - and, for that matter, Coulter Optics - could still
have also played vital roles in the chain of events that led to the Dobsonian
revolution.

John Savard
Old March 16th 16, 04:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 8:26:13 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Although, to be fair, it was Astronomy that started the Dob Revolution... about
35 years ago.

I'm glad to hear that you think the Dobsonian Revolution was a good thing.

John Savard

Old March 16th 16, 04:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 12:35:56 PM UTC-4, lal_truckee wrote:
On 3/16/16 7:26 AM, wsnell01 wrote:
Although, to be fair, it was Astronomy that started the Dob Revolution.... about 35 years ago.

Not John Dobson, then?
Who would have guessed?

Dobson invented the Dobsonian back in the '60s. However, it was mostly ignored by "mainstream" amateurs and the mags until Astronomy managed to publish a series of articles in 1980 about how to build Dobsonians. Things must have been slow that summer. THAT'S when the Dob Revolution started. The first Dob I ever saw in person was the one I built in 1980.

Old March 16th 16, 04:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 12:38:38 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 10:35:56 AM UTC-6, lal_truckee wrote:
On 3/16/16 7:26 AM, wsnell01 wrote:

Although, to be fair, it was Astronomy that started the Dob Revolution... about 35 years ago.

Not John Dobson, then?
Who would have guessed?

Well, Astronomy Magazine - and, for that matter, Coulter Optics - could still
have also played vital roles in the chain of events that led to the Dobsonian
revolution.

If you look at pictures in the mags of mid- to large-sized home-made scopes prior to 1980, they almost invariably had equatorial mounts. After that large Dobs started to proliferate.

Old March 16th 16, 09:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Wednesday, 16 March 2016 10:26:13 UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 1:03:16 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
"I like the scope very very very very much. I look at a lot lot lot of things. They were very very very very nice. This is a really really really really good scope."

HIGHLY technical, as you can see!

That review was rather lame, quite accurate but incomplete. I solved the problem a few years ago by dropping my subscription. Although, to be fair, it was Astronomy that started the Dob Revolution... about 35 years ago.

I understand, real reviews are a no-no (wouldn't want to upset the few advertisers left I guess) and are now left up to websites and enthusiastic amateurs.