Rocket related books?

Old November 24th 10, 08:23 PM posted to sci.space.tech
Christopher[_5_]

Default Rocket related books?

I have been recomended the book "Rocket Propulsion Elements" by Bruce
Sutton" by the poster Damon Hill, and it is now on order from Amazon.

I noticed a few similar books during the ordering process that Amazon
recommeded. Can anyone recommend a supporting book for rocket and
space craft design, or is the above book enough for me?

You should bare in mind I am having to learn this field as I go along,
as I never had the opportunity to learn physics or calculus when I was
at school, so I am starting from near zero fore knowledge.

Old November 27th 10, 01:56 PM posted to sci.space.tech
Robert Heller

At Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:23:47 EST Christopher wrote:

I have been recomended the book "Rocket Propulsion Elements" by Bruce
Sutton" by the poster Damon Hill, and it is now on order from Amazon.

I noticed a few similar books during the ordering process that Amazon
recommeded. Can anyone recommend a supporting book for rocket and
space craft design, or is the above book enough for me?

You should bare in mind I am having to learn this field as I go along,
as I never had the opportunity to learn physics or calculus when I was
at school, so I am starting from near zero fore knowledge.

If you are looking for general entry-level knowledge of space flight and
space exploration, I'd recommend the book, "The Starflight Handbook: A
Pioneer's Guide to Interstellar Travel", by Eugene Mallove and Gregory
Matloff. While it is not very specific in terms of actual rocket engine
design it does give you a grounding in some of the issues involved,
particularly in terms of interstellar travel, where issues of long term
space flight with limited resources is an issue. This book is also a
good reference on the stars in the local neighborhood (and which ones
might be worth bothering to visit). *I* found this book very helpful
when writing my little Science Fiction book.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933 /
Deepwoods Software --

Old November 27th 10, 01:56 PM posted to sci.space.tech
me[_5_]

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:23:47 EST, Christopher
wrote:

I have been recomended the book "Rocket Propulsion Elements" by Bruce
Sutton" by the poster Damon Hill, and it is now on order from Amazon.

I hope not and that the actual order is for the book authored by
George Sutton.

I noticed a few similar books during the ordering process that Amazon
recommeded. Can anyone recommend a supporting book for rocket and
space craft design, or is the above book enough for me?

You should bare in mind I am having to learn this field as I go along,
as I never had the opportunity to learn physics or calculus when I was
at school, so I am starting from near zero fore knowledge.

You might consider some on-line courses from DrPhysics.

http://www.drphysics.com/

Old November 27th 10, 01:57 PM posted to sci.space.tech
Jim Davis

Christopher wrote:

I noticed a few similar books during the ordering process that
Amazon recommeded. Can anyone recommend a supporting book for
rocket and space craft design, or is the above book enough for
me?

I can recommend

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007236811X

The last is hard to come by for a reasonable price unfortunately.

Jim Davis

Old November 27th 10, 01:57 PM posted to sci.space.tech
delt0r

On Nov 24, 9:23 pm, Christopher wrote:
I have been recomended the book "Rocket Propulsion Elements" by Bruce
Sutton" by the poster Damon Hill, and it is now on order from Amazon.

I noticed a few similar books during the ordering process that Amazon
recommeded. Can anyone recommend a supporting book for rocket and
space craft design, or is the above book enough for me?

You should bare in mind I am having to learn this field as I go along,
as I never had the opportunity to learn physics or calculus when I was
at school, so I am starting from near zero fore knowledge.

In that case I would recommend some introductory calculus and physics
books. There are some good if somewhat terse introductions for free
online and even the odd textbook, also there are now some good
lectures on youtube and co. Also Sutton was pretty good really, not
very heavy on the math. You could get away with learning the physics
and math as you go if you are persistent.

Of course if you are into building an amateur rocket like i was, you
will need to fill in a lot of blanks when it comes to the details for
*any* rocket book i have seen.

Old December 6th 10, 01:31 AM posted to sci.space.tech
snidely

On Nov 27, 5:57 am, delt0r wrote:
On Nov 24, 9:23 pm, Christopher wrote:

I have been recomended the book "Rocket Propulsion Elements" by Bruc

Sutton" by the poster Damon Hill, and it is now on order from Amazon

..

[...]

Here's a link to a list from several years that may or may not be
helpful. It includes some standards and some that have fallen by the
way side.

Hope this helps.
[URL = http://groups.google.com/group/sci.space.history/msg/
70a233e2041c1fdf]

/dps

Old January 31st 11, 11:31 AM posted to sci.space.tech
Christopher[_5_]

.

,
[...]

First of all a very late happy new year to you all, and last year I
hope you all had a merry Christmas.

Many thanks for the book list. @Robert Heller, correct, my bad,
George Sutton.

As for the recommended books in question. As I noticed such books are
quite expensive, so I'll just be getting two to complement the book in
my original post.

The two books a

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0077230299 Because it is a sort
of sequel which builds on the knowledge of George Suttons book

&

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007236811X Because it deals
wil human crewed space travel, and the associated features, which is
my reaon for this post, and the previous post I have made.

Note: I did consider this one

http://www.amazon.com/Spacecraft-Systems-Engineering-Peter-Fortescue/dp/047
1619515/ref=pd_sim_b_1

However, on reading the opening chaper on Amazon, it is centred around
none human space travel, and that is not what I am concered with.

I would appreciate any closing comments from anyone regarding my two
book choices in reference to support George Suttons book.