Water on Mars

Old July 7th 08, 04:33 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Water on Mars

Neil Gerace wrote:
Using that knowledge, all new deer stalking camouflage outfits are are
done in variable shades of fluorescent orange, so that accidental
shooting of hunters against hunters could be eliminated during deer
hunting season.

As someone who works on a site where all the yard staff wear day-glo
yellow vests to be more visible to truck drivers, I've discovered
this: if everyone stands out, no-one does.

Yeah, but deer hunters up here in North Dakota probably average out at
around on per quarter mile at most during the fairly short hunting
season, so just don't shoot at anything that's day-glo orange and you'll
be fairly safe as far as manslaughter charges go... although I'm sure
some cattle get nailed every year*.
Before they came up with the day-glo stuff it wasn't at all unusual to
have 5-10 hunters getting shot per year.
Now it's around one every couple of years.
Unfortunately, given the power of the deer rifles, pretty much any hit
in the human torso is fatal due to the severe hydrostatic shock. I saw a
guy sighting his in where the bullet made a supersonic roar as it went
downrange, and converted a one-gallon plastic water bottle's contents
into a ball of water vapor around ten feet in diameter.
God help you if you get hit with something like that.

My pacifistic "Friend Of Animals" message to my high school was
unintentionally challenged by my clothes, rather like St. Francis of
Assisi showing up with a twelve gauge shotgun strapped across his back
and a duck-hunting license in his hand.

With his luck (passenger pigeon, thylacine, great auk, moa,
blaauwbock, etc etc) it would probably turn out to be wabbit season!

You know, he was supposed to be able to pray so hard that he would
levitate into the air.
I think he was a Jedi or something.

* Now, it's time to get that PETA genetics project going... soon the
landscape shall be covered with day-glo orange deer!
Next, the baby Harp Seals with the ability to leap twenty feet...and
venomous fangs. :-D

Pat
Old July 7th 08, 01:04 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 22:33:53 -0500, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Unfortunately, given the power of the deer rifles, pretty much any hit
in the human torso is fatal due to the severe hydrostatic shock. I saw a
guy sighting his in where the bullet made a supersonic roar as it went
downrange, and converted a one-gallon plastic water bottle's contents
into a ball of water vapor around ten feet in diameter.
God help you if you get hit with something like that.

Seems like it would make instant hamburger out of a deer.
Old July 8th 08, 01:27 AM posted to sci.space.history
Neil Gerace[_2_]

On Jul 7, 11:33*am, Pat Flannery wrote:

Unfortunately, given the power of the deer rifles, pretty much any hit
in the human torso is fatal due to the severe hydrostatic shock.

It was written that that's how most of the people on board ZK-NZP
died, when it crashed into Mt Erebus. Their organs were disaggregated
by hydrostatic shock before the plane even began to break up, and well
before (i.e. a second or two before) a fire broke out.
Old July 9th 08, 05:46 AM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Jul 7, 5:27 pm, Neil Gerace wrote:
On Jul 7, 11:33 am, Pat Flannery wrote:

Unfortunately, given the power of the deer rifles, pretty much any hit
in the human torso is fatal due to the severe hydrostatic shock.

It was written that that's how most of the people on board ZK-NZP
died, when it crashed into Mt Erebus. Their organs were disaggregated
by hydrostatic shock before the plane even began to break up, and well
before (i.e. a second or two before) a fire broke out.

Nice DARPA damage-control. Going off-topic is a rather typical
mainstream infowar tactic, isn't it.

- Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth