Dyna Soar maximum seating capacity...

Old July 11th 08, 01:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Dyna Soar maximum seating capacity...

On Jul 10, 4:42 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
wrote:
Maybe. I suspect a lot could be done by simply opening a few hatches
to the vacuum of space and letting the tank air out and bake for a few
weeks.

But would all the kerosene boil off completely? Or would it leave some
sort of non-volatile residues behind?

Probabably *something* would be left behind. But after a few weeks of
hard vacuum and high temepratures, it wouldn't be much.
Old July 11th 08, 03:54 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Jeff Findley wrote:
Compared to an S-IVB based workshop (e.g. Skylab), that would be freaking
huge. I'd think that cleaning out the kerosene tank would be a bit
messy, but even if you didn't bother doing anything with the kerosene
tank, that LOX tank is freaking huge by itself!

The nice part about the LOX/LH2 propellants of the S-II and S-4B stages is
that the propellants would boil off cleanly after a few orbits if the
tanks were vented.

True, and you'd still have the full 33 foot diameter to play in.

I'm thinking of the S-ID stage-and-a-half first stage with F-IA engines and
stretched tanks, an S-II stage with J-2S engines and stretched tanks, and a
full 33 foot diameter payload/station/power module on top with multiple
docking ports for visiting crews, cargo delivery, and future expansion.

Something like the core module of this:

http://www.astronautix.com/craft/spaebase.htm

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Dyna Soar maximum seating capacity... [email protected] Policy 8 July 10th 08 11:53 AM
Dyna-Soar?! Pat Flannery History 4 January 20th 06 02:29 AM
Dyna Soar and X-33 and MOL, oh my! Scott Lowther History 7 May 24th 04 06:45 AM
X 20 Dyna Soar Rich Godwin History 5 September 18th 03 07:47 PM
X 20 Dyna Soar Rich Godwin Space Science Misc 0 September 16th 03 04:35 AM