Neil Armstrong - Support Bush Space Initiative

Old March 15th 04, 01:01 PM
BlackWater

Default Neil Armstrong - Support Bush Space Initiative

(CNN)
HOUSTON , Texas (AP) -- Former astronaut Neil Armstrong says
Americans should support President Bush's plan for renewed
missions to the moon and beyond.

Armstrong said the plan was economically sustainable and that the
country must accept the risks associated with space exploration
in order to reap technological rewards.

"Our president has introduced a new initiative with renewed
emphasis on the exploration of our solar system and expansion of
human frontiers," Armstrong told a crowd of nearly 600 people
Thursday.

"This proposal has substantial merit and promise."

He was in Houston to receive the Rotary National Award for Space
Achievement.

Armstrong, 73, commanded NASA's Apollo 11 mission in 1969,
becoming the first person to walk on the moon.

In 1971, he left the space program to pursue a teaching career in
aeronautical engineering in his native Ohio.

Armstrong said the success of the Bush's space plan depends on
whether the government, aerospace industry, researchers and
others can unite behind it.

The Bush White House wants to return to the moon and eventually
send astronauts there by 2020, and to Mars -- an effort that
would cost hundreds of billions of dollars. Some lawmakers have
questioned proposed costs and risks.

"Our economy can certainly afford an effort of this magnitude,
but the public must believe the benefits to society deserve the
investment," Armstrong said in Friday's edition of the Houston
Chronicle. "To limit the program in the name of eliminating the
risk is no virtue."

President Bush has proposed that the space shuttle stop flying in
2010 and that the remaining shuttle flights concentrate on
completion of the International Space Station and research.

.. . . . .

Our "space program" has been literally orbiting around
in circles for WAY too long now. Time to DO something
with what we've learned. A permanent, expanding, ultimately
profitible presence on the moon and beyond is the next
step. We were gonna spend the money anyway, so let's
spend it on something better than orbiting tomato seeds
and token foreign-nationals. The costs will be spread-out
over the next 25 years or so. We CAN afford the moon, so
long as it's on the installment plan.

Of course, I'm sure the libbies will claim Armstrong
is getting payola from Halliburton ...

Old March 15th 04, 02:06 PM
Indigo Moon Man

BlackWater spake thusly:

(CNN)
HOUSTON , Texas (AP) -- Former astronaut Neil Armstrong says
Americans should support President Bush's plan for renewed
missions to the moon and beyond.

Armstrong said the plan was economically sustainable and that the
country must accept the risks associated with space exploration
in order to reap technological rewards.

I support the space initiative too.

Of course, I'm sure the libbies will claim Armstrong
is getting payola from Halliburton ...

Heh. Sadly, this is probably true.

--
A Voice in the Wilderness:
http://avoice.netfirms.com
Old March 15th 04, 02:26 PM
ZenIsWhen

"BlackWater" wrote in message
news
(CNN)
HOUSTON , Texas (AP) -- Former astronaut Neil Armstrong says
Americans should support President Bush's plan for renewed
missions to the moon and beyond.

Me ....... sitting in my home says Neil Armstrong should NOT support Bush's
folly!

Armstrong said the plan was economically sustainable and that the
country must accept the risks associated with space exploration
in order to reap technological rewards.

Is Armstrong ( or was he ever) an economist?
Is Armstrong (or was he ever) out of a job?
Is Armstrong even (or was he ever) a member of the working class?
Is Armstrong (or was he ever) an elected official?

This speech is just as meaningful as any other myopic zealot's claima that
the government should support what HE wants!

Of course, I'm sure the libbies will claim Armstrong
is getting payola from Halliburton ...

No. The "libbies" will claim the obvious - that you ignorantly invent lies
about what "libbies" do.

As a RATIONAL person, I consider Armstrong's personal opinion to be severly
colored by his lifelong lifestyle - and NOT based in an overall view of
either the world or our government/economics or population!

Old March 15th 04, 04:34 PM
BlackWater

"ZenIsWhen" wrote:

"BlackWater" wrote in message
news
(CNN)
HOUSTON , Texas (AP) -- Former astronaut Neil Armstrong says
Americans should support President Bush's plan for renewed
missions to the moon and beyond.

Me ....... sitting in my home says Neil Armstrong should NOT
support Bush's folly!

Well, when you demonstrate the intelligence, skill and
truely massive cojones' to do something as significant
as Armstrong did ... THEN we'll put your opinion on
the scales with his.

Armstrong said the plan was economically sustainable and that the
country must accept the risks associated with space exploration
in order to reap technological rewards.

Is Armstrong ( or was he ever) an economist?
Is Armstrong (or was he ever) out of a job?
Is Armstrong even (or was he ever) a member of the working class?

Ah ... so he's now the 'silver spoon' elite ?
Well, if so, he's EARNED his silver spoon.

Is Armstrong (or was he ever) an elected official?

Could be. Likely better than John Glenn.

This speech is just as meaningful as any other myopic zealot's claima that
the government should support what HE wants!

Having been so intimately involved in the space
program for so long, I'd hardly accuse Armstrong
of being "myopic" about the issues involved. As
for "zealotry" ... we could USE a little of that
in todays shoddy excuse for a 'program'. "Can Do"
has "Done Went".

Of course, I'm sure the libbies will claim Armstrong
is getting payola from Halliburton ...

No. The "libbies" will claim the obvious - that you ignorantly invent lies
about what "libbies" do.

Right ...

As a RATIONAL person, I consider Armstrong's personal opinion to be severly
colored by his lifelong lifestyle - and NOT based in an overall view of
either the world or our government/economics or population!

A fair assertion. Astronauts may indeed have certain
biases in these matters. Still, Armstrong is hardly
an ignoramus - and not all 'biases' are bad ones. Of
course he's not really employed in 'space' anymore
and won't gain much in the way of money or fame if
we push ahead with the new moon program ... not to
mention he will be dead before the first real base
can be set-up. So, if he is 'biased', I don't think
it's for personal gain.

Old March 15th 04, 05:37 PM
Darsh

"ZenIsWhen" wrote in message

"BlackWater" wrote in message
news
(CNN)
HOUSTON , Texas (AP) -- Former astronaut Neil Armstrong says
Americans should support President Bush's plan for renewed
missions to the moon and beyond.

Me ....... sitting in my home says Neil Armstrong should NOT support

Bush's
folly!

And why would you. NASA is a horrible thing that has made you a victim.

Armstrong said the plan was economically sustainable and that the
country must accept the risks associated with space exploration
in order to reap technological rewards.

Is Armstrong ( or was he ever) an economist?

Who cares?

Is Armstrong (or was he ever) out of a job?

Are you? I suggest you get off your ass and get one. Maybe you lack skills
to get a new job. Go get skills.

Is Armstrong even (or was he ever) a member of the working class?

Who cares?

Is Armstrong (or was he ever) an elected official?

Who cares?

This speech is just as meaningful as any other myopic zealot's claima that
the government should support what HE wants!

Don't you wish you could work like you can cry?

Of course, I'm sure the libbies will claim Armstrong
is getting payola from Halliburton ...

No. The "libbies" will claim the obvious - that you ignorantly invent lies
about what "libbies" do.

That is the typical Nazicrat arguement.

As a RATIONAL person, I consider Armstrong's personal opinion to be

severly
colored by his lifelong lifestyle - and NOT based in an overall view of
either the world or our government/economics or population!

He supports Bush' plan for NASA nad space exploration. Get over it and go
get a job chippy.

darsh

Old March 15th 04, 06:13 PM
TKalbfus

is getting payola from Halliburton ...

Heh. Sadly, this is probably true.

Why sadly, Halliburton is an energy company, if its interested in the Moon it
could be one of two things SPSs or Solar power plants on the Moon.

Tom
Old March 15th 04, 06:18 PM
TKalbfus

Is Armstrong ( or was he ever) an economist?

Why should he be?

Is Armstrong (or was he ever) out of a job?

Is Armstrong even (or was he ever) a member of the working class?

Yes, he did work for a living. Going to the Moon was his job.

Is Armstrong (or was he ever) an elected official?

And elected officials are the only people you can trust? I guess you prefer
John Glenn who morphed into Mr. Democrat.

As a RATIONAL person, I consider Armstrong's personal opinion to be severly
colored by his lifelong lifestyle - and NOT based in an overall view of
either the world or our government/economics or population!

And what lifestyle are you criticising? He only went to the Moon once.

Tom
Old March 15th 04, 06:50 PM
ZenIsWhen

"ZenIsWhen" wrote:

"BlackWater" wrote in message
news
(CNN)
HOUSTON , Texas (AP) -- Former astronaut Neil Armstrong says
Americans should support President Bush's plan for renewed
missions to the moon and beyond.

Me ....... sitting in my home says Neil Armstrong should NOT
support Bush's folly!

Well, when you demonstrate the intelligence, skill and
truely massive cojones' to do something as significant
as Armstrong did ... THEN we'll put your opinion on
the scales with his.

I have no idea what his intelligence level is, compared to mine.
YOU have no idea what his intelligence level is, compared to mine.

I have no idea what his "skill level" is, compared to mine.
YOU hve no idea what his skill level is, compared to mine.

I have no idea what his "cojones'" size is, compared to mine.
YOU have no idea what his "cojones'" size is, compared to mine.

It is apparent, though, that your level of ignorance is massive, compared to
both me & Armstrong!

Armstrong said the plan was economically sustainable and that the
country must accept the risks associated with space exploration
in order to reap technological rewards.

Is Armstrong ( or was he ever) an economist?
Is Armstrong (or was he ever) out of a job?
Is Armstrong even (or was he ever) a member of the working class?

Ah ... so he's now the 'silver spoon' elite ?
Well, if so, he's EARNED his silver spoon.

?????????
Where did I say that?
For all I know (and this is a reasonable assumption) - he went to college,
then (taking ROTC) straight into the military.
Both are completely diffferent arenas from the "working class".

Is Armstrong (or was he ever) an elected official?

Could be. Likely better than John Glenn.

You have a point to make - or just letting out a fart?

This speech is just as meaningful as any other myopic zealot's claima

that
the government should support what HE wants!

Having been so intimately involved in the space
program for so long, I'd hardly accuse Armstrong
of being "myopic" about the issues involved.

BWAHAHAAAAAA................ someone, with at least a third grade education,
should explain "myopic" to you!

[...]

Bias, in this case, has nothing to do with personal gain - but it DOES,
blatantly, have to do with having a narrowly focused opinion.

Old March 15th 04, 06:51 PM
ZenIsWhen

"Darsh" wrote in message

"ZenIsWhen" wrote in message

"BlackWater" wrote in message
news
(CNN)
HOUSTON , Texas (AP) -- Former astronaut Neil Armstrong says
Americans should support President Bush's plan for renewed
missions to the moon and beyond.

Me ....... sitting in my home says Neil Armstrong should NOT support

Bush's
folly!

And why would you. NASA is a horrible thing that has made you a victim.

Forgot your morning meds?