DARPA getting that X-prize type feeling

Old October 21st 03, 07:28 PM
Tom Merkle

Default DARPA getting that X-prize type feeling

Need proof that small prizes can stimulate big expenditures of effort
and money into tech research?

It seems DARPA is taking a page from the X-prize's book.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03293/232431.stm

They want to stimulate lots of research into technology for a robot
(robotic car, really) that can drive itself at high speed through the
desert, but they don't want to spend $100 million doing it. Solution:
offer a $1 million prize to the robot team that wins the race--and
then just sit back and watch.
According to this article, it looks like over $2 mil in labor and
parts has already been spent to win the $1 mil prize by the CalTech
and Carnegie Mellon teams alone.

If this turns out the way the Army hopes, maybe DARPA will start
offering prizes for other things...like space access?

Tom Merkle
Old October 21st 03, 08:00 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Tom Merkle wrote:
If this turns out the way the Army hopes, maybe DARPA will start
offering prizes for other things...like space access?

DARPA apparently *is* interested in the idea of prizes for other things,
assuming this one works out.

It may be awkward for them to offer prizes for accomplishments that are
likely to take several years, however, because Congress is reluctant to
make funding commitments that are binding on future Congresses*, and a
prize that doesn't have a firm funding commitment will be less appealing.

(* I'm told that, contrary to popular belief, it *can* be done. But it
is not something that Congress does frequently or happily.)
--
MOST launched 30 June; first light, 29 July; 5arcsec | Henry Spencer
pointing, 10 Sept; first science, early Oct; all well. |
Old October 22nd 03, 08:56 PM
Rand Simberg

On 22 Oct 2003 12:54:57 -0700, in a place far, far away,
(Tom Merkle) made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

It's depressing to know I've paid enough 'in' to buy a couple cars,
each nicer than the one I currently own.

It's even more depressing to know that you've paid enough in to have a
very comfortable retirement, had it been put in reasonable investment
vehicles...

interglobal space lines * 307 733-1715 (Fax)
http://www.interglobal.org

Old October 23rd 03, 04:00 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:44:07 +0000 (UTC), in a place far, far away,
"Dave" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
.. .
On 22 Oct 2003 12:54:57 -0700, in a place far, far away,
(Tom Merkle) made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

It's depressing to know I've paid enough 'in' to buy a couple cars,
each nicer than the one I currently own.

It's even more depressing to know that you've paid enough in to have a
very comfortable retirement, had it been put in reasonable investment
vehicles...

Heh. Define reasonable.

Diversified.

Old October 23rd 03, 04:03 PM
Kaido Kert

(Tom Merkle) wrote in message . com...
Need proof that small prizes can stimulate big expenditures of effort
and money into tech research?

It seems DARPA is taking a page from the X-prize's book.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03293/232431.stm

For more X-Prizeness, check out Challenge Bibendum (
http://www.challengebibendum.com/ ) . Environmental vehicle
competition sponsored by Michelin.
Interestingly, many small players utilizing COTS technology come out
on top with best rankings in several categories ( for instance, check
out the AC Propulsion tZero running off stack of commercially widely
avialable small li-ion batteries
http://www.acpropulsion.com/default.htm )

-kert
Old October 24th 03, 12:53 AM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:47:52 -0400, in a place far, far away, Ed Ruf
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

Exploring Ideas for Prizes in Aeronautics

Mr. Gregg Maryniak, Executive Director of the X Prize Foundation, will give
a short briefing about the impact of prizes in the evolution of aeronautics
in Europe and the US during the early 1900s. Following the briefing, small
group and one-on-one discussions will be convened. The purpose of the
meetings are to get ideas on how prizes might be used by NASA to stimulate
advances in aeronautics. Mr. Maryniak is working on a special study for
NASA Headquarters and is accompanied by Mr. Brant Sponberg from the NASA
Comptrollers' office.

The briefing was held Tuesday, October 21 at LaRC.

Yes, but heaven forfend that we should have any for space!

Since when is Brant at NASA? Didn't he used to work for Isakowitz?
Anyone know when he left OMB?