"wave" distortion patterns in Cassini ring images

Old July 4th 04, 04:28 AM
Alex R. Blackwell

OM wrote:

...Actually, as soon as I get through the remaining 28 photo shoots I
have to sort through, clean up, and post online, I'm going to start
doing some of my own image analysis and see what comes up. I'm more
interested in the white stuff poking through, especially if it's still
there on the next pass. Alex, are your contacts saying anything about
whether this is just cloud formation, or possibly something sticking
up through the haze enough to stand out in the IR?

If you're referring to the high albedo feature over Titan's south polar
regions, then almost everyone I know is fairly confident this represents
tropospheric clouds, especially since the feature is seen to move in the
ISS imagery, and most probably methane condensing out of the atmosphere.

--

Alex R. Blackwell
University of Hawaii

Old July 4th 04, 04:47 AM
Bruce Palmer

Pat Flannery wrote:
(The little "o" shaped thing is apparently something on the camera, and
not an actual feature on the surface.)

I know a couple of guys named Wheeler and Guth who beg to disagree.

(runs, ducks and covers)

--
bp
Proud Member of the Human O-Ring Society Since 2003
Old July 4th 04, 05:11 AM
OM

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 03:47:41 GMT, Bruce Palmer
wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:
(The little "o" shaped thing is apparently something on the camera, and
not an actual feature on the surface.)

I know a couple of guys named Wheeler and Guth who beg to disagree.

(runs, ducks and covers)

....Actually, it's a Cheerieo. It's what made Cassini get up and
go-go-GO!

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 4th 04, 06:19 AM
Pat Flannery

Alex R. Blackwell wrote:

If you're referring to the high albedo feature over Titan's south
polar regions, then almost everyone I know is fairly confident this
represents tropospheric clouds, especially since the feature is seen
to move in the ISS imagery, and most probably methane condensing out
of the atmosphere.

That's interesting. I hope Huygens get some shots of clouds as it
descends toward the surface.

Pat

Old July 4th 04, 06:23 AM
Pat Flannery

Bruce Palmer wrote:

I know a couple of guys named Wheeler and Guth who beg to disagree.

(runs, ducks and covers)

Titanic Man-Of-War floating in the methane sea, with its tendrils
searching for the Methane Muskies, not doubt.

Pat

Old July 4th 04, 03:23 PM
DeSelby

In sci.space.policy Pat Flannery wrote:

DeSelby wrote:

Now what I want to know is when are the Titan images gonna
show up?? The official site says the images are going to be
downloaded Friday afternoon

They're up here now:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedi...browseLatest=1

Thanks

Are the dark markings the hypothesized seas?

I doubt it - they look like atmospheric features to me. I suspect we
are seeing cloud features in Titan's upper atmosphere, unless they are
looking in the atmospheric window.

Apparently scientists are somewhat baffled by what appears to be a lack
of liquid at Titan's surface...

Pat

Old July 4th 04, 04:37 PM
LooseChanj

On or about Sat, 03 Jul 2004 17:28:04 -1000, Alex R. Blackwell
made the sensational claim that:
If you're referring to the high albedo feature over Titan's south polar
regions, then almost everyone I know is fairly confident this represents
tropospheric clouds, especially since the feature is seen to move in the
ISS imagery, and most probably methane condensing out of the atmosphere.

This is probably a silly question, but what are the scattered points of light?
All I can think is "stars", but that's so obviously wrong.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't

Old July 4th 04, 04:42 PM
LooseChanj

On or about Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:37:18 GMT, LooseChanj
made the sensational claim that:
This is probably a silly question, but what are the scattered points of light?
All I can think is "stars", but that's so obviously wrong.

Ok, I had another thought. Blips in the data?

Old July 4th 04, 06:32 PM
OM

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:42:06 GMT, LooseChanj
wrote:

On or about Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:37:18 GMT, LooseChanj
made the sensational claim that:
This is probably a silly question, but what are the scattered points of light?
All I can think is "stars", but that's so obviously wrong.

Ok, I had another thought. Blips in the data?

....John Glenn's fireflies, natch.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 5th 04, 04:24 AM
Alex R. Blackwell

LooseChanj wrote:

This is probably a silly question, but what are the scattered points of light?
All I can think is "stars", but that's so obviously wrong.

Hmm. I'm not sure what you are referring to. Can you point to a
specific image?

--

Alex R. Blackwell
University of Hawaii