Berkeley 86

Old September 14th 17, 07:50 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default Berkeley 86

Sometimes I wonder why I put an object on my to-do list. This is one of those times.

Berkeley 86 is somewhere in my image. Just where I don't know. WEBDA often misses the right position by several minutes. Checking various sources I find different locations. The one paper I found on it seems to show it about the center of my image which was based on an average of the various positions I found. The paper is at http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1086/130853/pdf It has numbered some stars it considers part of the cluster.

WEBDA says it is 3600 light-years distant, is 13 million years old and reddened by 0.9 magnitudes.

With a paper and WEBDA seeing the cluster I have to assume it is real. All I see are various asterism groupings that change each time I look at it. After a while, even those vanish to my eye.

A couple weak dark nebulae appear to wind through the frame. I couldn't find any listed at SIMBAD however.

Reproduced at 1.5" per pixel rather than my usual 1" as that would needlessly enlarge the image. Why I took only 1 blue frame is unknown. Since there was no satellite in it that worked out fine.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RG=2x10' b=1x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BERK86L4X10RG2X10B1X10-67.JPG
Views:	556
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	6681
Old September 26th 17, 02:16 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

I would assume that the cluster is really in the center of your field. The group of stars there is not much richer than some other groups, but with a bit of good will it could be a cluster :-)
The funny thing in Guide 9 is that if I tell it to show Berkeley 86 it centers the field about seven arcminutes to the lower right of your image center, but shows the symbol for an open cluster exactly where your image center is.
Stefan

Berkeley 83 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 1 August 31st 17 10:41 PM
Berkeley 30 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 5 April 16th 17 09:41 PM
Berkeley 17 in Auriga Anthony Ayiomamitis Amateur Astronomy 13 March 21st 07 03:22 AM
Berkeley 17 in Auriga Anthony Ayiomamitis UK Astronomy 11 March 21st 07 03:22 AM
What's up at Berkeley ... Anthony Ayiomamitis SETI 2 August 15th 05 10:37 PM