ASTRO: UGC 9242

Old November 9th 10, 07:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Default ASTRO: UGC 9242

Ninety some percent of the rain in California occurs between November
and March with the April - June period being unsettled.

In addition, the Central Valley of California drains to the ocean
through the Carquinez Strait and the San Francisco bay which means
that marine moisture that enters the valley comes in through that
path.

My location is in that pathway and is always impacted whenever there
is a marine layer intrusion into the valley.

This year the rains started in October and marine layers are prevalent
on the nights when the skies are clear so a clear night in which
seeing is approaching a 3 is a good night.

I guess I'm moaning and groaning in an attempt to say that I don't
have any reasonably good images to post so I will post some images
from previous years.

When I checked APOD this morning and saw Hubbles view of NGC 4452 I
was reminded of one the super thins I maged, UGC 9242.

UGC 9242
Bootes
Penryn, California
April 2010
FS-128 (ag, St-4)
ST-2000XM LR(s)GB 10 minutes subs

UGC 9242 is un-classified as and listed as a super thin edge on galaxy
without a nuclear bulge component. Note the two lobes on either end
of the galaxy and the dark flattened nucleus.

This galaxy is reddened and extinguished somewhat by dust with in our
galaxy (max -0.50 mag.).

Red shift distance is 66 Mly.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ugc 9242-lr(s))gb-ccd-f10.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	3218
Old November 9th 10, 10:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Good image Glen.
I imaged that galaxy under dark skies a few years back but seeing was
atrociously bad in that night, even 2x2 binned images looked soft.

Stefan

news

Old November 10th 10, 09:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 11/9/2010 12:15 PM, glen youman wrote:
[...]

Flat Galaxy Catalog is another catalog I've been mining for targets.
This is one on that list. I've been so tied up with Arp's I've not
thought about it until the one in the APOD reminded me. Interestingly
that one ISN'T in the FGC, not quite flat enough! The APOD image has
lots of IR in it. Looking at the POSS plates of that one the blue shows
a rather nice bulge not seen in the APOD/HST version. Red lesser and
virtually none like Hubble in near IR. FGC requires an 8:1 or greater
ratio in blue light, revised catalog says it has to meet that in red and
blue light. Or so I've been told. I've not started on it in earnest so
haven't done my own research as yet.

This one appears slightly tilted to me yet still is just a thread in the
sky. Yours came out quite well. Lots of motling along the thread.

I am hit by weather too which is common this time of the year. But when
clear normally here seeing is fairly good. Not this year. Even when
clear it rates a 2 at best. At that level I can't really even find a
focus. Normally a move of 25 microns is enough to see a focus change.
With the seeing of late I can move 250 microns and not see a change!
That's bad! I hate it when it is clear and yet a star shows a 5" FWHM
instead of around 2".

Rick
Old November 11th 10, 05:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 02:19:44 -0600, Rick Johnson
wrote:

[...]

I've a lot of images acquired with very poor seeing. I consider them
survey images and those that interest me go on a re-shoot list in
hopes that I'll have some good seeing the next time they are available
for imagiing.