"The Wright Brothers did not invent the airplane!"

Old October 3rd 03, 03:40 AM
Stuf4

Default "The Wright Brothers did not invent the airplane!"

For anyone interested, here's a website dedicated to accurate aerospace history:

http://www.first-to-fly.com/Programs...n/curriclm.htm

~
Old October 4th 03, 01:17 AM
Julian Bordas

Stuf4 wrote:
For anyone interested, here's a website dedicated to accurate aerospace history:

http://www.first-to-fly.com/Programs...n/curriclm.htm

~

No **** Batman. Another troll perchance? I'd hazard a guess that most
of not all of the readers of this esteemed news group are fully
cognisant of the evolution of fixed wing heavier than air flying
vehicles. Your lame attempts at trolling have left you with egg on your
visage

Old October 4th 03, 03:39 AM
OM

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 10:17:05 +1000, Julian Bordas
wrote:

Your lame attempts at trolling have left you with egg on your
visage

....That's not egg, Julian.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old October 4th 03, 03:06 PM
Stuf4

From Julian Bordas:
Stuf4 wrote:
For anyone interested, here's a website dedicated to accurate aerospace history:

http://www.first-to-fly.com/Programs...n/curriclm.htm

~

No **** Batman. Another troll perchance? I'd hazard a guess that most
of not all of the readers of this esteemed news group are fully
cognisant of the evolution of fixed wing heavier than air flying
vehicles. Your lame attempts at trolling have left you with egg on your
visage

Julian, if you bothered to search the forum, you'd have seen that on
another thread the simple statement of:

(More often, the Wright brothers are miscredited with inventing the
airplane.)

....was taken by more than one member here to be controversial.

I'm sure you meant to say "most _if_ not all". I hope it's clear to
you that no, not all members are fully cognizant of the evolution of
fixed wing heavier than air flight. *I* am not fully cognizant of it
myself, nor are the folks who created that website. But the folks who
made that site are more cognizant than most. I found it to be
enjoyable reading.

~ CT
Old October 4th 03, 09:26 PM
Mary Pegg

Stuf4 wrote:

made that site are more cognizant than most. I found it to be
enjoyable reading.

Particularly "the Space Shuttle orbits the earth in less than an hour"?

It also credits Edison with inventing the lightbulb, which is
patently (geddit?) false:
http://inventors.about.com/library/i...s/bllight2.htm
Old October 4th 03, 10:25 PM
Michael Walsh

Mary Pegg wrote:

Stuf4 wrote:

made that site are more cognizant than most. I found it to be
enjoyable reading.

Particularly "the Space Shuttle orbits the earth in less than an hour"?

It also credits Edison with inventing the lightbulb, which is
patently (geddit?) false:
http://inventors.about.com/library/i...s/bllight2.htm

A lot of this depends on whether you want to credit the invention to
the first person who tried to produce something or the person who
made it a success. Edison invented the first successful light bulb by
providing a longer lasting filament that he discovered through a lot
of exhaustive testing of possibilities.

The Wright brothers did not invent the concept of the airplane, but
it is tricky wording to claim that their real invention was the control
system. They did make the first successful flight. I have read about
a few other competitors. One made an earlier take-off with an
unsuccessful landing, if what I read was true.

I note that Robert Fulton, sometimes credited with the invention
of the steamboat, did not build the first steamboat and his
fame as producing the first economically successful steamboat
is a matter of dispute.

Mike Walsh

Old October 4th 03, 11:01 PM
Stuf4

Here's an idea...

In preparation for December festivities, we can put together a list of
"giants" whose shoulders the Wright brothers stood upon. This could
be fun.

Who and when?

- First piloted flight:
[ ************ ]

- First piloted airplane flight:
[ ************ ]

- First powered sustained airplane flight:
[ ************ ]

- First piloted powered controlled sustained airplane flight:
The Wright brothers, Dec 17th 1903.

I'm sure that there are significant steps that I've left out. Please
add if you'd like.

*

I'm going to step out of this thread now and see where others decide
to take it. Enjoy.

~ CT
Old October 4th 03, 11:15 PM
Mary Pegg

Michael Walsh wrote:

A lot of this depends on whether you want to credit the invention to
the first person who tried to produce something or the person who
made it a success. Edison invented the first successful light bulb by
providing a longer lasting filament that he discovered through a lot
of exhaustive testing of possibilities.

Did you read that page?

"1878 - Sir Joseph Wilson Swan (1828-1914), an English physicist, was
the first person to invent a practical and longer-lasting electic
lightbulb (13.5 hours)."

The following year Edison produced a bulb with a 40 hour life.

Old October 5th 03, 02:25 AM
Julian Bordas

Stuf4 wrote:
From Julian Bordas:

Stuf4 wrote:

For anyone interested, here's a website dedicated to accurate aerospace history:

http://www.first-to-fly.com/Programs...n/curriclm.htm

~

No **** Batman. Another troll perchance? I'd hazard a guess that most
of not all of the readers of this esteemed news group are fully
cognisant of the evolution of fixed wing heavier than air flying
vehicles. Your lame attempts at trolling have left you with egg on your
visage

Julian, if you bothered to search the forum, you'd have seen that on
another thread the simple statement of:

(More often, the Wright brothers are miscredited with inventing the
airplane.)

They are also mis credited with being the first to have made a powered
flight. They are not

~ CT

Old October 5th 03, 02:26 AM
Julian Bordas

wrote:

Your lame attempts at trolling have left you with egg on your
visage

...That's not egg, Julian.

Ah well from this distance....