ASTRO: NGC1514

Old November 17th 06, 11:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker[_1_]

Default ASTRO: NGC1514

http://www.thechestnut.com/chocky.htm

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:10:08 -0000, Rick Johnson wrote:

Never saw the TV show or even knew of it. Interesting. I'll stick with
crystal ball.
Rick

Peter Hucker wrote:
That's the one. The televised version had Chocky as a blue glowing floaty thing, as per the image.

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:21:32 -0000, Rick Johnson wrote:

Sorry, only Chocky I know is a sci-fi book by Wyndham (spelling), think
it was meant for kids. My wife's a sci-fi nut or I wouldn't even have
that clue to what you mean.
Rick

Peter Hucker wrote:

It's Chocky!

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:37:36 -0000, Rick Johnson wrote:

Visually I always thought this planetary looked like a blue crystal
ball. There is this bright light inside (the central star) and lots of
detail that is very hard to see at any power as the bright central star
blinds you. As you use averted vision you see different parts of it.
For some reason the inside detail seems, to me, to move as if swirling.
It's an illusion as my eye adjusts from the brightness of the central
star while the eye is moving. Several others in our club report the
same illusion so we call it the "Crystal Ball." There seems to be a
smudge below (south) of it. Not sure what that is. I see a hint of it
in the POSS red plate but it only showed in my lum images. No sign of it
in any of the RGB images. But they are only half the exposure time. I
wanted to go double the time but the seeing went south so I stopped
after the first round was taken. Since I took blue last it was hurt the
most. Since there's virtually no red in the nebula, barely shows in the
red images, I should have taken blue while I had better seeing but I
didn't. This was taken a couple months ago and got forgotten on the
hard drive as I wanted more and better data. But with all the rotten
weather I'm desperate to process something. Lots of faint fuzzies
throughout the image. A couple bright stars have blobs on the right
side. This is a bloom problem I'm seeing. The colder the camera the
more I see it. At -30 it shows in 3x3 binned images but not 1x1 or 2x2.
At -40 that this was taken it is now showing up in 2x2 images. There
is a cure but it involves taking the camera apart. Until it gets worse
I'll run at -35 which seems OK at 2x2 binning. My first attempt at
color using Photoshop CS. As I have to drive 35 miles to use it at a
school I don't know much about it yet. It is easier working at 16 bits
however. My AIM only works at 8 with color and often craps out with 5
megabyte FITS.

14" LX200R @ F/10, 6x5L, 3x5RGB, all binned 2x2, STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Those giraffes you sold me, they won't mate.
They just walk around, eating, and not mating.
You sold me queer giraffes! I want my money back!