ASTRO: The Ranch near Mariposa

Old November 25th 07, 07:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: The Ranch near Mariposa

here is what things look like:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ranch_page.htm

the place I set up the scope wasn't even close to level....

doesn't matter much with a German EQ mount g

Old November 25th 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:

here is what things look like:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ranch_page.htm

Not sure if I've seen your place or not. It sure looks familiar and my
wife said "I know that!" But I don't recall the antenna farm so might
be something similar. I think I've seen that look several times in the area.

the place I set up the scope wasn't even close to level....

You could always set up in the Valley. Nice and level down there. And
foggy too! My mother-in-law's home is in Le Grande. You should be able
to see it from the ranch, not far from Merced. My wife has lots of
friends in the Mariposa hills.

doesn't matter much with a German EQ mount g

You'd be surprised how many of our club members insist it is important.
I've watched them spend more time leveling their scope than viewing.
They can't figure out how come I can get good results and not level the
scope. I've tried explaining it many times to deaf ears. Their scope
came with a level so they use it.

I see you mention ham antennas. You a ham like Doug and I?

Rick

Old November 25th 07, 09:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Richard Crisp wrote:

here is what things look like:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ranch_page.htm

Not sure if I've seen your place or not. It sure looks familiar and my
wife said "I know that!" But I don't recall the antenna farm so might be
something similar. I think I've seen that look several times in the area.

I think the house was built in '92

the place I set up the scope wasn't even close to level....

You could always set up in the Valley. Nice and level down there. And
foggy too! My mother-in-law's home is in Le Grande. You should be able
to see it from the ranch, not far from Merced. My wife has lots of
friends in the Mariposa hills.

doesn't matter much with a German EQ mount g

You'd be surprised how many of our club members insist it is important.
I've watched them spend more time leveling their scope than viewing. They
can't figure out how come I can get good results and not level the scope.
I've tried explaining it many times to deaf ears. Their scope came with a
level so they use it.

I see you mention ham antennas. You a ham like Doug and I?

I was KD6BUT but let it lapse

I was always more of a SWL dxer type.

I got into utilities too: mostly RTTY in the waning years of en-claire

I did always enjoy the HF voice UTIL such as Aeronautical and Military Aero,
Coast guard etc.

Rick

Old November 26th 07, 03:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
here is what things look like:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ranch_page.htm

the place I set up the scope wasn't even close to level....

doesn't matter much with a German EQ mount g

Nice. One question. Do you have special eyepieces that allows the cows to
view through your scopes? lol

George

Old November 26th 07, 03:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"George" wrote in message

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
here is what things look like:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ranch_page.htm

the place I set up the scope wasn't even close to level....

doesn't matter much with a German EQ mount g

Nice. One question. Do you have special eyepieces that allows the cows
to view through your scopes? lol

no but depending on whether or not they are upwind, I may need a methane
filter...

George

Old November 26th 07, 03:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
. net...

"George" wrote in message

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
here is what things look like:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ranch_page.htm

the place I set up the scope wasn't even close to level....

doesn't matter much with a German EQ mount g

Nice. One question. Do you have special eyepieces that allows the cows
to view through your scopes? lol

no but depending on whether or not they are upwind, I may need a methane
filter...

George

lol. On the other hand, during those cold nights, cow patties make great
kindling for the camp fire.

George

Old November 26th 07, 04:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"George" wrote in message

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
here is what things look like:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ranch_page.htm

the place I set up the scope wasn't even close to level....

doesn't matter much with a German EQ mount g

Nice. One question. Do you have special eyepieces that allows the cows
to view through your scopes? lol

no but depending on whether or not they are upwind, I may need a methane
filter...

good point to keep in mind. There's been many a cup of coffee brewed over
them I would imagine
rdc

Old November 26th 07, 07:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:17:59 -0800, "Richard Crisp"
wrote:

. ..

"George" wrote in message

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
here is what things look like:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ranch_page.htm

the place I set up the scope wasn't even close to level....

doesn't matter much with a German EQ mount g

Nice. One question. Do you have special eyepieces that allows the cows
to view through your scopes? lol

no but depending on whether or not they are upwind, I may need a methane
filter...

good point to keep in mind. There's been many a cup of coffee brewed over
them I would imagine

[puts down drink and screws up face]
--
This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

A young Jew and an old Jew are riding on a bus in Jerusalem.
The young Jew asks, "Excuse me, sir, what time is it?"
The old Jew doesn't answer.
"Excuse me, sir," the young Jew asks again, "what time is it?"
The old Jew looks up him, but still doesn't answer.
The young Jew is puzzled, "Sir, forgive me for interrupting you all the time, but I really want to know what time it is. Why won't you answer me?"
The old Jew turns toward the young man and says, "Son, the next stop is the last on this route. I don't know you, so you must be a stranger to this land. If I answer you now, according to Jewish tradition, I must invite you to my home. You're handsome and I have a beautiful daughter. You would fall in love with her and you'd want to get married. And tell me, why would I want a son-in-law who can't even afford a ****ing watch?"
Old November 27th 07, 05:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: For Peter Hucker: a narrowband imager's delight was: The Ranch near Mariposa

a narrowbandimager's delight: the colors are fantastic Peter: reminds me of
my M8 shot

http://hucker.plus.com/parrots/Macaw...ladder%202.jpg

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m8_...2hao3_page.htm

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:17:59 -0800, "Richard Crisp"
wrote:

.. .

http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Old November 27th 07, 07:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker

Well sometimes his head is in the clouds...

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:00:11 -0800, "Richard Crisp"
wrote:

a narrowbandimager's delight: the colors are fantastic Peter: reminds me of
my M8 shot

http://hucker.plus.com/parrots/Macaw...ladder%202.jpg

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m8_...2hao3_page.htm

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:17:59 -0800, "Richard Crisp"
wrote:

. ..

"George" wrote in message

[...]

Follow your dream! Unless it's the one where you're at work in your underwear during a fire drill.