Damn- damn damn!

Old April 15th 05, 12:24 AM
Martin Frey

"Martin" wrote:

.... this festering hole of a Country ...

Wait till you try some of the others.

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old April 15th 05, 12:24 AM
Martin Frey

Tim Auton wrote:

Do you have to take it to court yourself, or does it fall under the
council's remit? Of course ultimately we have to do things ourselves
to enforce our rights, but it's much easier to get public servants to
do it. They are our servants after all (though often they do seem to
think it's the other way round).

If it's a streetlight it is unlikely that the council will take
themselves to court. If it's your neighbour they might - but I
wouldn't hold my breath. Get advice from citizen's advice (they won't
have any, but they won't get briefed unless there is demand). Ask CPRE
and CfDS - it was their evidence that led to the select committee
report and it was that report that led to legal recognition of light
nuisance.

Above all don't listen to the cynics.

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old April 15th 05, 02:34 PM
Paul Buglass

Hi John,

I have to ask . . . .what is the story about the dog, the field, and the AA
gun?

Cheers

--

/Paul B, York, UK. - Chairman York AS.
http://homepages.tesco.net/paul.buglass/astrohome.htm

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message
JRS: In article , dated Tue,
12 Apr 2005 23:03:20, seen in news:uk.sci.astronomy, Tim Hicks
posted :

Ironically, standing directly beneath the lamp and hurling a large flint
would likely be just as effective, but likely to incur a lesser charge.

There is another problem with that.

If one is successful, it will suddenly get too dark, in comparison with
what one's eyes are accustomed to, to see descending directly towards
one's head one large flint and an unknown number of lamp components.

Reminds me of the story of the dog, the field, and the AA gun.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00

MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms &

links;
Astro stuff via astron-1.htm, gravity0.htm ; quotings.htm, pascal.htm,

etc.
No Encoding. Quotes before replies. Snip well. Write clearly. Don't Mail

News.