The Virtual Telescope: now available for students and teachers.

Old November 7th 06, 01:11 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

Default The Virtual Telescope: now available for students and teachers.

I'm pleased to announce the launch of the the Virtual Telescope, a new
project bringing mid-sized, technologically advanced telescopes to
teachers, students, astronomers and amateurs to personally explore the
Universe.

The Virtual Telescope philosophy fixes some critical issues usually
making less than ideal the relationship between these facilities and
the users, especially students and teachers. In particular, it makes
available professional astronomers with a strong experience in
education
and public outreach to assist and help during the whole
(scheduling/observing/reducing/understanding) process.

I have thought that, as the Virtual Telescope has been very carefully
designed to fit the UK National Curriculum needs and because it has a
UK coordinator, you could be interested.

As you will read from the Press Release, to celebrate this launch we
opened the "Discover Your Sky!" competition, where we invite students
and their teachers to invent an astronomical experience and submit it.
Winners will be awarded and prizes will include telescope time at the
Virtual Telescope and other astronomical items.

If you will need any further detail, please just let me know. You can
even contact the UK coordinator (contacts on the Press Release).

Thank you very much for your attention and for considering this press
release, available at:

http://virtualtelescope.bellatrixobs...elescopePR.pdf

Sincerely,

Gianluca Masi