When a scope review site descends into politically-correct HELL

Old September 3rd 11, 01:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_1_]

Default When a scope review site descends into politically-correct HELL

What happened to Cloudynights.com? It was set-up as a scope review
site. But it has drifted FAR from that path.

Censorship, really silly censorship has gotten a "tad" out of hand.

Case in point. I posted a thread entitled "TV 76 clubs Pronto like
baby seal."
The seal part was edited out because it was "animal cruelty." So now
metaphor is illegal??

Another thread that mentioned "Chinese telescopes" was edited to "mass
market telescopes" (even though ALL cheap apos come from China)
because it was felt saying the scope's manufacturer origin was Chinese
would offend readers.

Another thread that lasted for about 8 posts was killed outright
concerned an unsubstantiated rumour I heard that Meade's 5000 127mm
apo was built to a higher standard than the other identical 127's out
there. The rumour I posted was clearly (twice) listed as
unsubstantiated, also, scopes coming out of the same factory from
different mfg's (and camera lenses) have often been built to different
specs so the premise of the rumour was hardly out of left field.

There are almost ZERO new reviews of scope equipment on that site in
the last few years. Wonder why?

I guess this is what happens (it certainly happened to the magazines,
the latest scope review of the David Levy Mak-Newt in the Sept Sky and
Tel is bird-cage liner) when a site becomes a paid ad site for
manufacturers and distributors?
Old September 3rd 11, 02:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin R. Howell[_8_]

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 17:13:45 -0700, Rich wrote:

What happened to Cloudynights.com? It was set-up as a scope review
site. But it has drifted FAR from that path.

Censorship, really silly censorship has gotten a "tad" out of hand.

Case in point. I posted a thread entitled "TV 76 clubs Pronto like baby
seal."
The seal part was edited out because it was "animal cruelty." So now
metaphor is illegal??

In my opinion, CloudyNights acted appropriately. I am not sure where you
were going with the baby seal metaphor, but it does run the chance of linking
to animal cruelty and who wants that on their site? They are trying to attract
site hits from a place where the potential for the most of those comes from
the "middle of the road" and non-threatening on any and every level. CN does not want to lose any
of the base they have built up. They drew the line. You crossed it. I suspect
you knew that you had.

--
Martin R. Howell

Old September 3rd 11, 03:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_1_]

On Sep 2, 9:54*pm, "Martin R. Howell"
wrote:
On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 17:13:45 -0700, Rich wrote:
What happened to Cloudynights.com? *It was set-up as a scope review
site. *But it has drifted FAR from that path.

Censorship, really silly censorship has gotten a "tad" out of hand.

Case in point. *I posted a thread entitled "TV 76 clubs Pronto like baby
seal."
The seal part was edited out because it was "animal cruelty." *So now
metaphor is illegal??

In my opinion, CloudyNights acted appropriately. *I am not sure where you
were going with the baby seal metaphor, but it does run the chance of linking
to animal cruelty and who wants that on their site? *

It isn't "animal cruelty" (except to some stupid European liberal
elitists) it's a legal way they hunt them.

They are trying to attract
site hits from a place where the potential for the most of those comes from
the "middle of the road" and non-threatening on any and every level. *CN does not want to lose any
of the base they have built up. *They drew the line. *You crossed it. *I suspect
you knew that you had.

They didn't "draw" any "line." They simply edited the subject line
AND someone who had responded to it. It's silly and uncalled for
censorship, the kind that is ruining most media outlets in America
today.
Old September 3rd 11, 04:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 19:49:29 -0700 (PDT), Rich
wrote:

They didn't "draw" any "line." They simply edited the subject line
AND someone who had responded to it. It's silly and uncalled for
censorship, the kind that is ruining most media outlets in America
today.

It wouldn't be necessary if there weren't so many idiots such as
yourself who choose to be deliberately abrasive and polarizing with
everything you say.
Old September 3rd 11, 05:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Martin R. Howell:
In my opinion, CloudyNights acted appropriately. I am not sure where you
were going with the baby seal metaphor, but it does run the chance of linking
to animal cruelty and who wants that on their site? They are trying to
attract
site hits from a place where the potential for the most of those comes from
the "middle of the road" and non-threatening on any and every level. CN does
not want to lose any
of the base they have built up. They drew the line. You crossed it. I
suspect
you knew that you had.

The failed metaphor could have been edited out (censored is too strong
a word) on the basis that it was an extremely poor metaphor without
direct reference to the subject. That it came from a sociopath and had
a sadistic intent was all the more reason to edit it out.

The sociopath doesn't seem to realize that the owner of a web site has
the right to control what appears on the site.

BTW, the sociopath said that he wrote "TV 76 clubs Pronto like baby
seal," which means "TV 76 clubs Pronto in the same way that a baby seal
clubs Pronto." He can't even get an incredibly stupid bit of language
right. The metaphor that he probably intended would have been something
like "TV 76 clubs Pronto like fur hunter clubs a harp-seal pup." The
problem with being that stupid is that he cannot possibly realize how
stupid he is.

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old September 3rd 11, 09:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 03/09/2011 02:54, Martin R. Howell wrote:
[...]

With any luck they will ban the stupid Rich troll entirely. His
worthless pollution of newsgroups is pure killfile material.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old September 3rd 11, 02:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brad Seagraves

The solution is simple: if you don't like the site, don't use it. People
who run websites have the right to run it as they choose and to implement
whatever rules necessary.

It's quite possible to access the website you speak of without even being a
member. There are others out there with scope reviews too.

The bottom line is for you to move on to other sites. Astromart also has
reviews and many like how it is run. You might try them.

Old September 4th 11, 05:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_4_]

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

wrote:

They didn't "draw" any "line." They simply edited the subject line
AND someone who had responded to it. It's silly and uncalled for
censorship, the kind that is ruining most media outlets in America
today.

It wouldn't be necessary if there weren't so many idiots such as
yourself who choose to be deliberately abrasive and polarizing with
everything you say.

Ah, so that's why P.C.-oriented leftists like yourself foist your warped
philosophy onto the rest of us?
Old September 4th 11, 05:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_4_]

Martin Brown wrote in
:

[...]

When did you people lose their individuality and balls? What a group
of lock-step P.C. clowns.
Old September 4th 11, 07:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On 2011-09-04, Rich wrote:

When did you people lose their individuality and balls? What a group
of lock-step P.C. clowns.

I figure that Astronomics can do anything it wants with Cloudy Nights,
including hurting your feelings. After all, they're paying for it and
you're not.

Bud