The Green, Green Hills of Mars?

Old August 28th 03, 08:29 AM
David Nakamoto

Default The Green, Green Hills of Mars?

A warm handshake everyone !

This is the first opposition where I did a lot of observing prior to the
actual opposition date, and so I noticed the effect that long-ago
observers of Mars thought was the spread of vegetation, the darkening
around the South Pole in particular and the Southern hemisphere in
general. The Northern hemisphere also seems to have gotten a lot lighter
in terms of lack of extensive dark features. This is particularly visible
in
the images I've been taking, and comparing those to the general maps
of Mars.

To long time Mars observers; is this effect more pronounced during
this opposition season than, say, the previous really close encounter
12 to 14 years ago?

Thanks !

Clear, Steady Nights !
--- Dave
Never be afraid of trying something new for the love of it.
Remember... amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic!