Major analysis confirms global warming is real

Old October 24th 11, 03:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Major analysis confirms global warming is real

On Oct 22, 6:55*pm, Mike Collins wrote:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1021144716.htm

Poor Rich....he's been proven wrong again.
Old October 24th 11, 04:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 07:27:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Poor Rich....he's been proven wrong again.

You can only be proven wrong once. After that, you're just another
denialist.
Old October 25th 11, 08:48 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Peter Webb[_4_]

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 07:27:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Poor Rich....he's been proven wrong again.

You can only be proven wrong once. After that, you're just another
denialist.

The irony of course is that the study did not investigate, prove or find
that "global warming is real". It set out to confirm (or otherwise) previous
estimates of past temperatures.

It doesn't even define what "global warming" is, and nor has anybody in this
thread.

Take for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:In...ord_(NASA).svg
The 5 year average global temperature was lower in 1963 than at any time
since 1935. Was "global warming" occurring in (say) 1961? How do you know?
What calculation based on temperatures (which is what was measured)
determines if "global warming" is occurring or not occurring at some point
in time?

You see, a statement that a "Major analysis confirms x is real" is
completely meaningless unless somebody defines exactly what "x" is, and
neither the authors of the study, anybody in this thread, or yourself has
provided a definition of "global warming".

Can you tell us how we use a temperature record to determine whether "global
warming" is occurring at a particular time? And if you can't tell us what
the term "global warming" is supposed to mean, how can you possibly claim
that some study proves it exists?

Old October 25th 11, 03:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 18:48:30 +1100, "Peter Webb"
wrote:

The irony of course is that the study did not investigate, prove or find
that "global warming is real"...

Ah, the local representative of the fruitcake society removes his head
from the sand long enough to squeak.
Old October 25th 11, 03:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Peter Webb[_4_]

wrote:

The irony of course is that the study did not investigate, prove or find
that "global warming is real"...

Ah, the local representative of the fruitcake society removes his head
from the sand long enough to squeak.

Funny, you didn't answer my questions.

But then you always avoid scientific discussion about climate "science".

Old October 25th 11, 03:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_65_]

"Peter Webb" wrote in message
u...

| "Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
| On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 18:48:30 +1100, "Peter Webb"
| wrote:
|
| The irony of course is that the study did not investigate, prove or find
| that "global warming is real"...
|
| Ah, the local representative of the fruitcake society removes his head
| from the sand long enough to squeak.
|
| Funny, you didn't answer my questions.
|
| But then you always avoid scientific discussion about climate "science".

But... but... the local representative of the fruitcake society, Peterson,
removed his head from his arse long enough to squeak.

Old October 25th 11, 04:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 01:30:04 +1100, "Peter Webb"
wrote:

Funny, you didn't answer my questions.

They've all been answered before- and by people who, unlike yourself,
understand science.

Your science denialist tactic of asking the same questions over and
over, ignoring the answers already given, might work with the peanut
gallery on pseudoscience sites like that of Watts, but you're on a
science forum here... way out of your depth.
Old October 25th 11, 06:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Oct 23, 7:47*am, "AGW Athiest"
wrote:
You're right. *I didn't change it properly.... done!

I think you want "AGW Agnostic", since the term _agnostic_ is
sometimes applied in contexts other than belief in God. But if you are
indeed sure there's no AGW, not merely skeptical, then AGW Atheist
would be the "correct" name change.

John Savard
Old October 25th 11, 06:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Oct 25, 1:48*am, "Peter Webb"
wrote:

It doesn't even define what "global warming" is, and nor has anybody in this
thread.

What is global warming?

It's an increase in the worldwide mean temperature, due to increased
levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

We know, from those measurements in Hawai'i, that the proportion of
carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has increased.

If the worldwide mean temperature has increased, when you average out
over things like the La Nina/El Nino cycle, then there is reason to
suspect that AGW has taken place (the increase in carbon dioxide
levels _is_ anthropogenic).

Of course, one still has to eliminate other causes, but IIRC, sunspots
have been going the wrong way to cause warming - we've had a quiet sun
recently.

John Savard
Old October 25th 11, 11:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_65_]

"Quadibloc" wrote in message
On Oct 23, 7:47 am, "AGW Athiest"
wrote:
You're right. I didn't change it properly.... done!

I think you want "AGW Agnostic", since the term _agnostic_ is
sometimes applied in contexts other than belief in God. But if you are
indeed sure there's no AGW, not merely skeptical, then AGW Atheist
would be the "correct" name change.

John Savard
theo - god
theologian - someone that studies a god
theist - someone that believes in a god
atheist - someone that doesn't believe in a god
athiest - someone that can't spell his own name