True map of the visible universe?

Old July 19th 14, 03:31 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Jos Bergervoet

Default True map of the visible universe?

Is this picture a true map of the visible universe?
http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/universe.html
It does seem to show the Horlogium, Virgo, and Shapley
superclusters in the center (in diagonally upward line,)
at least if you carefully compare it with the next
zoom-in level. But the fact that you see them would mean
that it is more like a half sphere, where we look onto
the cutting plane, or perhaps even just a slice of the
total cosmic web (since the foreground would most likely
obscure our Virgo supercluster if all was included!)

I'm asking because of all those things to be sorted out
about the observable universe (and the rest) discussed
here recently. In particular: if I copy this to my
smart phone, and also carry a towel of course, will
that always allow me to find my way home?!

--
Jos

[Mod. note: looks like the various views are intended to be a 2D
projection of the contents of a 3D sphere of the radius given in each
case, with the plane shown being the plane of the Milky Way. -- mjh]
Old July 19th 14, 08:32 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Jos Bergervoet

On 7/19/2014 4:31 PM, the moderator wrote in a comment on Jos
Bergervoet's posting:
[Mod. note: looks like the various views are intended to be a 2D
projection of the contents of a 3D sphere of the radius given in each
case, with the plane shown being the plane of the Milky Way. -- mjh]

Yes, that certainly seems to be the case for the other
zoom levels. If this was done for the largest scale as
well, then it would be accidental that the central part
looks a bit like our super-cluster neighborhood. There
should in that case be dozens of other super-clusters
behind and in front of us showing up in this region of
the image.

Perhaps the creator can tell us! (Richard Powell, the
question now Cc to his email.)

--
Jos