NGC 7331 et al.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 20th 08, 09:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default NGC 7331 et al.

I did the Deer Lick group back in my black and white days in fall of
2006. I wanted to do it in color but weather this fall has been horrid.
I finally sort of got it low in the west. Took a lot of work to get
much out of it that low. Seeing was far from what I'd have liked that
low. But until next fall it will have to do.

Does anyone know the source of the name Deer Lick Cluster? Seems odd to me.

7331 is about 49 million light years out and about 30,000 light years
across so small compared to our spiral though rather typical. The rest
in the group are over 100 million miles away, some 300 million or so.
They must be really larger. Trying to ID the galaxies in this group I
found several NGC objects that were just single or double stars though
some versions of the NGC have assigned their numbers to other galaxies
in the group that didn't make the NGC. Makes it all very confusing.
Using Simbad for NGC 7325 6 and 7 gives a different result than using
NED on the DSS for instance. Simbad seems to go with the original NGC
visual observations by Rosse.

I rotated the image so east is up. That seemed to show the apparent
warping of the disk of NGC 7331 better than leaving it on edge with
north up. I have it back on my "good seeing" to-do list but it will
have to wait for next season. The flare at the lower right is just a
star hitting the edge of the CCD.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10, RGB=2x10, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version