ASTRO: Lunar Eclipse Collage - LunarEclipse20080220MJA.jpg (0/1)

Old February 21st 08, 05:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Milton Aupperle

Default ASTRO: Lunar Eclipse Collage - LunarEclipse20080220MJA.jpg (0/1)

Hi Folks;

Here is a 4 frame college of the Eclipse shot from downtown Calgary
Alberta, under clear stable skies. I used a 200 mm F4 second hand cheap
telephoto lens with a PGR Flea 2 1076 x 1030 16 bit color FireWire 800
camera riding on an HEQ 5 mount.

Astro IIDC was used for the image capture and processing. I recorded 20
second movie clips at 1 minute intervals for 2.8 hours using an Apple
Script, which created 173 movies and used up 20 gigabytes of disk
space. I then batch stacked and auto aligned the movies last night
while I slept and then picked out 4 frames this morning for the
college.

Milton Aupperle
http://www.outcastsoft.com/AstroImages/AstroIndex.html
Old February 21st 08, 06:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Milton Aupperle wrote:

Hi Folks;

Here is a 4 frame college of the Eclipse shot from downtown Calgary
Alberta, under clear stable skies. I used a 200 mm F4 second hand cheap
telephoto lens with a PGR Flea 2 1076 x 1030 16 bit color FireWire 800
camera riding on an HEQ 5 mount.

Astro IIDC was used for the image capture and processing. I recorded 20
second movie clips at 1 minute intervals for 2.8 hours using an Apple
Script, which created 173 movies and used up 20 gigabytes of disk
space. I then batch stacked and auto aligned the movies last night
while I slept and then picked out 4 frames this morning for the
college.

Milton Aupperle
http://www.outcastsoft.com/AstroImages/AstroIndex.html

Nice series.

You're farther north yet far warmer. It was -27C here in northern
Minnesota. Send us that warm air!

Rick

Old February 21st 08, 06:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Milton Aupperle wrote:

Hi Folks;

Here is a 4 frame college of the Eclipse shot from downtown Calgary
Alberta, under clear stable skies. I used a 200 mm F4 second hand cheap
telephoto lens with a PGR Flea 2 1076 x 1030 16 bit color FireWire 800
camera riding on an HEQ 5 mount.

Astro IIDC was used for the image capture and processing. I recorded 20
second movie clips at 1 minute intervals for 2.8 hours using an Apple
Script, which created 173 movies and used up 20 gigabytes of disk
space. I then batch stacked and auto aligned the movies last night
while I slept and then picked out 4 frames this morning for the
college.

Milton Aupperle
http://www.outcastsoft.com/AstroImages/AstroIndex.html

Nice series.

It was -27C here. Not fair you being farther north and so much warmer.
I hope that warm air is on its way to northern Minnesota.

Only camera I have right now besides the CCDs that are ill suited for
this type work is my wife's two digital cameras. Both Canons and both
said no way when exposed to those temps. They refused to even turn on.
I'd set them up when they were still warm from the house but by the
time the eclipse started neither would "wake up". So watched it from
inside where it was warmer.

Rick

Old February 21st 08, 10:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:23:23 -0600, Rick Johnson
wrote:

Milton Aupperle wrote:

[...]

I'd like some -27C. But then how do you start your car in the
morning? I don't think petrol ignites at that temperature.....
--
This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

Streakers bewa Your end is in sight!
Old February 22nd 08, 03:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Milton Aupperle

Hi Rick;

Well we were -45°C about 14 days ago. After that -27°C was practically
"balmy" in comparison, but cold is cold.

Right now were just on the edge of the Arctic "Deep Freeze", but
luckily on the good side so it only cools down to -10°C at night here.

Over x-mas I was imaging at -25°C dead air, but the 20 kmph wind made
it feel like it was -40°C, especially when your trying to get an OAG
rig set up so both cameras are in focus at the same time and need bare
fingers to tighten things up.

TTYL..

Milton Aupperle

Old February 22nd 08, 05:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

wrote:

Milton Aupperle wrote:

[...]

Maybe inferior? English petrol won't ours starts fine. Even the morning
of -41C it started right off. You do need a good battery (accumulator).
They really lose power at those temps so those who bought the el
cheapo battery a couple years ago will have trouble starting as there's
no juice to turn over the motor. I see no difference in starting at all
with today's fuel injected, computer controlled systems. Though, even
my 1977 Pontiac with 227,000 miles on its original engine (not rebuilt)
starts fine too and its the old fashioned no computer, carburated
engine. Takes a bit more cranking than summer, maybe 7 seconds rather
than 5. I did freeze the fuel line of the ATV however. Still had
summer gas in its tank which doesn't have anti ice additives like winter
gas does nor as much butane dissolved in the gas. Scope works at those
temps too. I do use a thinner grease on the gears. With the summer
grease it only slews at 30% speed. With thinner grease I can get it up
to 50% without a problem.

Rick

Old February 22nd 08, 06:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

-41C was the coldest so far this winter. Came from your direction. But
that was in early January so not your -45C air. Cloudy tonight so only
about -18C.

I can work completely from inside as I have everything set up for total
remote operation. I'm getting too old for those temperatures any more.
Arthritis just won't let me sit in those temp inactive. I'm fine when
moving but there's a lot of still time with this hobby and that I can't
handle. I tried to get some shots with the wife's canon with 10x zoom
lens (optical not digital) but after it cooled to outside temp waiting
for the eclipse to start it refused to wake back up. So no pictures
from here. I got cussed out for breaking her camera but after it warmed
back up it works just fine. Whew!

Rick

Old February 22nd 08, 07:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker

wrote:

Milton Aupperle wrote:

[...]

So that's what "ACC"means.

They really lose power at those temps so those who bought the el
cheapo battery a couple years ago will have trouble starting as there's
no juice to turn over the motor. I see no difference in starting at all
with today's fuel injected, computer controlled systems.

Yes the modern cars are ok. They seem to start themselves, no messing
with throttle and choke.

Though, even
my 1977 Pontiac with 227,000 miles on its original engine (not rebuilt)
starts fine too and its the old fashioned no computer, carburated
engine. Takes a bit more cranking than summer, maybe 7 seconds rather
than 5. I did freeze the fuel line of the ATV however. Still had
summer gas in its tank which doesn't have anti ice additives like winter
gas

I've never heard of "winter gas". But it never goes below -10C here
(unfortunately).

does nor as much butane dissolved in the gas. Scope works at those
temps too. I do use a thinner grease on the gears. With the summer
grease it only slews at 30% speed. With thinner grease I can get it up
to 50% without a problem.

--
This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

The Pope dies and, naturally, goes to heaven.
He's met by the reception committee, and after a whirlwind tour he is told that he can enjoy any of the myriad of recreations available.
He decides that he wants to read all of the ancient original text of the Holy Scriptures, so he spends the next eon or so learning languages.
After becoming a linguistic master, he sits down in the library and begins to pour over every version of the Bible, working back from most recent "Easy Reading" to the original script.
All of a sudden there is a scream in the library.
The Angels come running in only to find the Pope huddled in his chair, crying to himself and muttering, "An 'R'! The scribes left out the 'R'."
A particularly concerned Angel takes him aside, offering comfort, asks him what the problem is and what does he mean.
After collecting his wits, the Pope sobs again, "It's the letter 'R'. They left out the 'R'. The word was supposed to be celebRate!"
Old February 23rd 08, 04:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Odysseus[_1_]

In article ,
Peter Hucker wrote:

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:56:27 -0600, Rick Johnson
wrote:

snip

Maybe inferior? English petrol won't ours starts fine. Even the morning
of -41C it started right off. You do need a good battery (accumulator).

So that's what "ACC"means.

On a North American car, I believe the "ACC" position of the ignition
key stands for "accessories": it turns on the power for those electrical
devices (lights, radio, &c.) that don't require a running engine to
operate.

--
Odysseus
Old February 23rd 08, 07:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 04:41:51 GMT, Odysseus

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:56:27 -0600, Rick Johnson
wrote:

snip

Maybe inferior? English petrol won't ours starts fine. Even the morning
of -41C it started right off. You do need a good battery (accumulator).

So that's what "ACC"means.

On a North American car, I believe the "ACC" position of the ignition
key stands for "accessories": it turns on the power for those electrical
devices (lights, radio, &c.) that don't require a running engine to
operate.

Ahhhh. I had actually seen it on a Mazda.

P.S. Why do they have to disconnect indicators and windscreenwipers
when you turn off the ignition?
--
This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?