VARIABLE, NOT CONSTANT, SPEED OF LIGHT

Old October 20th 13, 07:41 AM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Default VARIABLE, NOT CONSTANT, SPEED OF LIGHT

http://www.einstein-online.info/elem...speed_of_light
Albert Einstein Institute: "Suppose that I measure a particular light signal's speed, and find the usual value of 299,792.458 kilometers (186,000 miles) per second. If I see a fast spaceship chase right after that signal, moving at half the speed of light (c/2), I would expect that an observer on that spaceship would measure the speed of my light signal at merely c - c/2 = c/2, half the value that I measured. Not so, according to special relativity! Simply subtracting speeds would only give the correct answer if the observer on that space-ship measured space and time, distance and duration in the same way that I do. As we have seen on the previous page, that's not the case. From my point of view, for instance, the measuring rods on the speeding spaceship are shorter than my own, and its clocks run more slowly than mine. Taken together, all of these relativistic effects combine in precisely the right way to result in a surprising phenomenon: Even from the point of view of an observer on the speeding spaceship, my light signal moves with exactly the same speed, c=299,792.458 kilometers per second."

Typical circular reasoning in Einsteiniana - originally the length contraction and time dilation guaranteeing, in this scenario, the constancy of the speed of light, have been derived from the assumption that the speed of light is constant!

Here is a proof that, relative to the moving observer, the speed of light is c'=c-c/2, not c. Let a series of pulses the distance between which is 300000 km pass the stationary observer ("I") at a frequency of one per second (f=1). The frequency measured by the moving observer is f'=f/2=1/2, and accordingly the speed of the pulses relative to the moving observer is c'=300000*f'=c/2=150000km/s. Special relativity is violated.

The relativistic corrections change essentially nothing. For a speed of 0.5c gamma is 1.15 so f'(relativistic corrections taken into account)=1.15*f' and c'(relativistic corrections taken into account)=172500km/s. Special relativity remains violated.

Pentcho Valev
Old October 21st 13, 12:31 AM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

http://www.einstein-online.info/spotlights/doppler
Albert Einstein Institute: "The frequency of a wave-like signal - such as sound or light - depends on the movement of the sender and of the receiver. This is known as the Doppler effect. (...) Here is an animation of the receiver moving towards the source: (...) By observing the two indicator lights, you can see for yourself that, once more, there is a blue-shift - the pulse frequency measured at the receiver is somewhat higher than the frequency with which the pulses are sent out. This time, the distances between subsequent pulses are not affected, but still there is a frequency shift: As the receiver moves towards each pulse, the time until pulse and receiver meet up is shortened. In this particular animation, which has the receiver moving towards the source at one third the speed of the pulses themselves, four pulses are received in the time it takes the source to emit three pulses."

In this scenario the wavelength of light is replaced by "the distance between subsequent pulses". Let this distance be 300000 km. The Albert Einstein Institute clearly states that this distance is not affected by the motion of the receiver/observer (it would be too idiotic, even according to the criteria of Einsteiniana, to state the opposite). Therefore the frequency measured by a stationary receiver is f = 1 s^(-1) and that measured by the moving receiver is f' = 4/3 s^(-1). Accordingly, the speed of the pulses relative to the moving receiver is:

c' = (4/3)c = 400000 km/s

in violation of special relativity.

The relativistic corrections change essentially nothing. The speed of the receiver is (1/3)c so gamma is 1.05. Accordingly, the corrected f' is (1.05)*(4/3) s^(-1) and the corrected c' is (1.05)*(400000) km/s. Special relativity remains violated.

Pentcho Valev
Old October 21st 13, 06:44 AM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

http://www.hep.man.ac.uk/u/roger/PHY.../lecture18.pdf
Roger Barlow, Professor of Particle Physics: "The Doppler effect - changes in frequencies when sources or observers are in motion - is familiar to anyone who has stood at the roadside and watched (and listened) to the cars go by. It applies to all types of wave, not just sound. (...) Moving Observer. Now suppose the source is fixed but the observer is moving towards the source, with speed v. In time t, ct/lambda waves pass a fixed point. A moving point adds another vt/lambda. So f'=(c+v)/lambda. (...) Relativistic Doppler Effect (...) If the source is regarded as fixed and the observer is moving, then the observer's clock runs slow. They will measure time intervals as being shorter than they are in the rest frame of the source, and so they will measure frequencies as being higher, again by a gamma factor: f'=(1+v/c)(gamma)f..."

If "in time t, ct/lambda waves pass a fixed point", and if "a moving point adds another vt/lambda", then the speed of the light waves relative to the moving observer is:

c' = (lambda)(ct/lambda + vt/lambda)/t = c + v

in violation of special relativity. This shift in the speed of the light waves relative to the observer (from c to c'=c+v) causes the frequency he measures to shift from f=c/lambda to:

f' = c'/lambda = (c+v)/lambda = (1+v/c)f

If v is smaller than (1/3)c, the relativistic corrections are negligible (for v=(1/3)c gamma is 1.05) and both c'=c+v and f'=c'/lambda are virtually exact formulas no matter whether the classical or the relativistic Doppler effect is calculated.

Pentcho Valev
Old October 24th 13, 05:26 PM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

http://www.cmmp.ucl.ac.uk/~ahh/teach...24n/lect19.pdf
Tony Harker, University College London: "The Doppler Effect: Moving sources and receivers. The phenomena which occur when a source of sound is in motion are well known. The example which is usually cited is the change in pitch of the engine of a moving vehicle as it approaches. In our treatment we shall not specify the type of wave motion involved, and our results will be applicable to sound or to light. (...) Now suppose that the observer is moving with a velocity Vo away from the source. (....) If the observer moves with a speed Vo away from the source (...), then in a time t the number of waves which reach the observer are those in a distance (c-Vo)t, so the number of waves observed is (c-Vo)t/lambda, giving an observed frequency f'=f(1-Vo/c) when the observer is moving away from the source at a speed Vo."

If "in a time t the number of waves which reach the observer are those in a distance (c-Vo)t", then the speed of the light waves relative to the observer is:

c' = ((c - Vo)t)/t = c - Vo

in violation of special relativity. The relativistic corrections do not change essentially this conclusion - c' remains different from c. If Vo is small enough, the relativistic corrections are negligible and both f'=f(1-Vo/c) and c'=c-Vo are virtually exact formulas.

Pentcho Valev