Mac image stacking software

Old September 11th 03, 05:31 AM
Juan Hobenaro

Default Mac image stacking software

In article , Darren
Bly wrote:

I have a friend who is looking for image stacking software, he's
really liked my images from Regstack, but he has that strange Mac
disease. Can anyone out there help him?

Darren in Bakersfield

Doing a google search for Mac Image Stacking turns up:

http://www.unm.edu/~keithw/keithsImageStacker.html

I stopped at this one; there may be more.

Hobenaro
Old September 11th 03, 12:37 PM
GO VOLS!

Yeah tell him to use his brain and buy a PC.

x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old September 12th 03, 05:03 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
"GO VOLS!" wrote:

Yeah tell him to use his brain and buy a PC.

Better yet, why not give him a *useful* answer?

As a previous poster said, start with looking for
Keith's Image Stacker.
Old September 12th 03, 12:27 PM
Shawn Grant

"Steve Hix" wrote in message
"GO VOLS!" wrote:

Yeah tell him to use his brain and buy a PC.

Better yet, why not give him a *useful* answer?

I did buy a PC is the best advice anyone can give. PC is better, it runs
more software, it is faster, you can build your own, They can look better
and they cost less. A PC is all advantage while a MAC is all disadvantage.

Old September 14th 03, 12:01 AM
Shawn Grant

I'm not interested in playing computer games, I *am* interested
in a lot of Unix software, as well as producing video and print
content with closely-controlled and consistent color management.

PCs don't cut it *for those uses*, the Mac does.

PC is far better for those uses. PC has just as good if not better
controlled and consistent color management. Remember this isn't the 80's any
more. The PC has pasted the Mac in print and graphics. In fact I use
PhotoShop for my photography to create beautiful prints for sell, photo
contest and to hang on my wall. I use InDesign on a PC at work and I am very
strict with color management.
You want unix. With a PC you have freedom. You can dual boot with Linux or
run cygin right in Windows.
Oh you want video editing, well you can do that better with the PC. Sure
there isn't final cut pro but that is crap. There is Premier, Avid and 5
times more choices then Mac.

If one even considers a Mac then they are an idiot. PC is where it is at.

Old September 15th 03, 02:13 PM
Davoud

Mark [ Windows]:
The idiot is the one who blindly follows the rest of the lemmings.

It is common to refer to "Macs and PC's," as if the Mac isn't a
Personal Computer. This is ironic, because the Mac is the most personal
computer that one can own. Thus, I like to refer to "PC's" (Macs) and
"LC's" (Lemming Computers).

We're beating our heads against the wall, though. The guy who wrote "If
one even considers a Mac then they [sic] are an idiot. PC is where it
is at [sic]" has never used a Mac, and thus could not possibly know
what he is talking about. Furthermore, his writing betrays him to have
the mind of a juvenile -- regardless of his chronological age. He would
argue that day is night and could not likely be shown otherwise.

I have a Mac (OK, I have six Macs, but I regularly use three of them,
two running 10.2.6 and one running 9.1) and an LC (Vaio laptop) running
Win XP Pro. I used to say that Windows was a cheap imitation of the Mac
OS. But I was guilty, too -- I didn't have enough experience with
Windows to know what I was talking about. Now that I've become pretty
good* at manipulating XP Pro I realize that it isn't nearly good enough
to be called a cheap imitation of the Mac OS!

*I call myself "pretty good" at using XP Pro because I have managed to
make it do things that a lot of long-time LC users haven't managed
(based on questions posted on LC forums) -- connect to an 802.11
(AirPort) network, print over the network, share files (with Macs),
control it from a Mac with Timbuktu, etc.

See my main "desktop" Mac at http://www.davidillig.com/cinema.shtml
(non-commercial; no cookies, no counter, no ads; rated G).

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old September 30th 03, 01:18 PM
Larry Brown

What's a virus?

-Mac user.

Old September 30th 03, 04:32 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:18:08 -0400, Larry Brown
wrote:

What's a virus?

It is an unfortunate consequence of living in a society. Close contact with
other individuals allows opportunistic parasites to propagate. Viruses can
generally be avoided by eschewing all social contact.

The term also describes an analogous situation in computers. It's an unfortunate
consequence of using a popular platform. Here too, however, viruses can usually
be avoided by using unpopular platforms that exist at too low a density to
support natural propagation of viruses.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old September 30th 03, 10:46 PM
Davoud

IChris L Peterson:
It's an unfortunate consequence of using a popular platform. Here too, however,
viruses can usually be avoided by using unpopular platforms that exist at too
low a density to support natural propagation of viruses.

*****

So true! Another way to avoid viruses is to use a Mac, however. Then
you would have a very popular platform that is still immune to viruses
and worms, as they don't seem to be able to get past the OS's built-in
safeguards.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old September 30th 03, 11:33 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:46:23 -0400, Davoud wrote:

So true! Another way to avoid viruses is to use a Mac, however. Then
you would have a very popular platform that is still immune to viruses
and worms, as they don't seem to be able to get past the OS's built-in
safeguards.

My website gets about 1000 visitors each day, and is popular with (I hope!)
fairly well educated, intelligent people. 95% of my accesses are from Windows
(38% XP, 55% W98), 1.2% are Mac (exact OS not reported), 0.75% are Unix/Linux,
and the rest are some sort of robots. 91% of the browsers claim to be Internet
Explorer.

If that is anything typical of the Internet in general, I think only Windows
users need be very concerned about being targeted by virus writers. Windows is
the only popular operating system (which is not to say that the others aren't
popular with their users, of course g).

And I'd be cautious using words like "immune" lest you bring somebody's wrath
down on yourself! Macs are no more "immune" to viruses than PCs, they just
aren't popular (in the sense of "common") enough to attract much attention. The
vast majority of viruses don't exploit any vulnerabilities of the operating
system at all, but are simply executables attached to email. Malicious programs
are easily coded for any platform, and require only a clueless user. And from my
personal experience, the relative percentage of clueless users is higher amongst
Macs than PCs. Should Macs suddenly increase in popularity, they are a disaster
just waiting. The best strategy Mac users can adopt is to keep their little
secret to themselves!

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com