how long is one day on Venus?

Old January 28th 07, 10:20 AM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
kajlina

Default how long is one day on Venus?

The period of rotation of Venus is 243 days while its period of
revolution is 225 days.
1.One day on Venus amounts to how many days on Earth?
2. If Venus's direction of rotation was the same as its direction of
revolution, then one day on Venus amounts to how many days on Earth?

I think both answers are 243 days. I suppose whatever the direction of
rotation is, the period of rotation doesn't change. Am I correct?

Old January 28th 07, 10:45 AM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro

"kajlina" wrote in message ps.com...
The period of rotation of Venus is 243 days while its period of
revolution is 225 days.
1.One day on Venus amounts to how many days on Earth?
2. If Venus's direction of rotation was the same as its direction of
revolution, then one day on Venus amounts to how many days on Earth?

I think both answers are 243 days. I suppose whatever the direction of
rotation is, the period of rotation doesn't change. Am I correct?

243 days, 243 days, and yes. At least in the context of the
questions you're asking, direction is irrelevant to period.
Whether rotation period would change over time differently,
depending on direction, is an entirely different question.

Old January 28th 07, 01:04 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
Greg Neill

"kajlina" wrote in message
ps.com...
The period of rotation of Venus is 243 days while its period of
revolution is 225 days.
1.One day on Venus amounts to how many days on Earth?
2. If Venus's direction of rotation was the same as its direction of
revolution, then one day on Venus amounts to how many days on Earth?

I think both answers are 243 days. I suppose whatever the direction of
rotation is, the period of rotation doesn't change. Am I correct?

It's not the period of rotation you're interested in,
it's the period between successive noons (Sun
directly overhead for some observer fixed to Venus's
surface).

Old January 28th 07, 04:22 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
Scott Miller

kajlina wrote:
The period of rotation of Venus is 243 days while its period of
revolution is 225 days.
1.One day on Venus amounts to how many days on Earth?
2. If Venus's direction of rotation was the same as its direction of
revolution, then one day on Venus amounts to how many days on Earth?

I think both answers are 243 days. I suppose whatever the direction of
rotation is, the period of rotation doesn't change. Am I correct?

Noon to noon on Venus would be 116.8 Earth days in time. And, yes, if
Venus had a prograde spin of the same rate, that would change the noon
to noon time.
Old January 28th 07, 04:37 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
Dumbledore_[_1_]

"kajlina" wrote in message ps.com...
The period of rotation of Venus is 243 days while its period of
revolution is 225 days.
1.One day on Venus amounts to how many days on Earth?
2. If Venus's direction of rotation was the same as its direction of
revolution, then one day on Venus amounts to how many days on Earth?

I think both answers are 243 days. I suppose whatever the direction of
rotation is, the period of rotation doesn't change. Am I correct?

Do your own homework.