AR 10904 August 15th 2006

Old August 15th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

Default AR 10904 August 15th 2006

Active Region 904 is now roughly on the centre line of the Sun.
Amazing how much influence it has over the surrounding region,
especially considering it's not really that large a spot group.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/2...0-04-sharp.jpg

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old August 15th 06, 04:30 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Pete Lawrence wrote:
Active Region 904 is now roughly on the centre line of the Sun.
Amazing how much influence it has over the surrounding region,
especially considering it's not really that large a spot group.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/2...0-04-sharp.jpg

Pete,

This is a wonderful photo and it is scarry how far the "little PST" has
matured!

Anthony.

Old August 15th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Active Region 904 is now roughly on the centre line of the Sun.
Amazing how much influence it has over the surrounding region,
especially considering it's not really that large a spot group.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/2...0-04-sharp.jpg

Pete,

This is a wonderful photo and it is scarry how far the "little PST" has
matured!

Anthony.

Scarry? Why?

(1) 40 mm filter ... (2) $500 or less for 0.5-0.7 Angstrom bandpass ...
the PST is the most basic of Coronado's offerings and this result is
outstanding for the "bottom of the h-alpha product line".

Anthony.
Old August 15th 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
bill-in-forres bill-in-forres is offline
Junior Member

Location: Forres, Moray, Scotland

Scarry? Why?

(1) 40 mm filter ... (2) $500 or less for 0.5-0.7 Angstrom bandpass ...
the PST is the most basic of Coronado's offerings and this result is
outstanding for the "bottom of the h-alpha product line".

Anthony.

There are thousands of PSTs out there but very few of them produce
images like that.
Perhaps most of the credit should go to the imager and the way he has
mastered the combination of the 'scope, the camera and the software.
Bill

Old August 15th 06, 10:26 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Bill-in-Forres wrote:
Scarry? Why?

(1) 40 mm filter ... (2) $500 or less for 0.5-0.7 Angstrom bandpass ...
the PST is the most basic of Coronado's offerings and this result is
outstanding for the "bottom of the h-alpha product line".

Anthony.

Bill,

There are thousands of PSTs out there but very few of them produce
images like that.
Perhaps most of the credit should go to the imager and the way he has
mastered the combination of the 'scope, the camera and the software.

There is no question that the imager and the processing thereafter play
a significant role in producing a great image. However, at the same
time, one cannot produce a great image if the optics do not allow for a
great image from the start. I paid approximately $1500/inch of aperture
for my AP160 and I can assure you that great equipment is the first step
to producing great images.

Hopefully Pete's unit is representative and not a hand-picked premium
sample unit.

Anthony.

Bill

Old August 15th 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 00:26:31 +0300, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:

Hopefully Pete's unit is representative and not a hand-picked premium
sample unit.

Actually it was a cheap second hand PST I bought to dip my toe into
the water. I have no idea if represents a particularly good one or not
but I'd be interested to image through another in order to see. I did
buy it for the express purpose of trying to get a decent image out of
it though and so far, I've been very happy with the results.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old August 16th 06, 01:04 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

Some more shots available here...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/a...-20060815.html
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old August 16th 06, 01:30 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Graham W

Pete Lawrence wrote:
Some more shots available here...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/a...-20060815.html

Very nice Pete!

WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps
Old August 16th 06, 07:42 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
MT

Scarry? Why?

(1) 40 mm filter ... (2) $500 or less for 0.5-0.7 Angstrom bandpass ...
the PST is the most basic of Coronado's offerings and this result is
outstanding for the "bottom of the h-alpha product line".

Anthony.

I see it but I don't believe it! For one thing they don't say 0.5-0.7 band
pass. They do
say 1.0 A. Where do you get those values from for the PST?