Nature - A powerful bursting radio source towards the Galactic Centre

Old March 5th 05, 09:36 AM
Nick

Default Nature - A powerful bursting radio source towards the Galactic Centre

Taken from
http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v434/n7029/abs/nature03400_fs.html

Transient astronomical sources are typically powered by compact objects and
usually signify highly explosive or dynamic events. Although
high-time-resolution observations are often possible in radio astronomy,
they are usually limited to quite narrow fields of view. The dynamic radio
sky is therefore poorly sampled, in contrast to the situation in the X-ray
and bold gamma-ray bands in which wide-field instruments routinely detect
transient sources. Here we report a transient radio source, GCRT
J1745-3009, which was detected during a moderately wide-field monitoring
programme of the Galactic Centre region at 0.33 GHz. The characteristics of
its bursts are unlike those known for any other class of radio transient.
If located in or near the Galactic Centre, its brightness temperature
(approx 1016 K) and the implied energy density within GCRT J1745-3009
vastly exceed those observed in most other classes of radio astronomical
sources, and are consistent with coherent emission processes that are
rarely observed. We conclude that it represents a hitherto unknown class of
transient radio sources, the first of possibly many new classes that may be
discovered by emerging wide-field radio telescopes.

Or if you want to pay Nature $30 you can read the whole paper at
http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v434/n7029/full/nature03400_fs.html
--
Nick in Northallerton
www.whelan.me.uk
Old March 5th 05, 12:58 PM

I have watch people who are genuinely puzzled by the contemporary
notion of ' every valid point is the center of the universe' and get
the usual tortured answers from physicists.

The reason such contrived notions exist is not because the theorists
are wrong but because there are no astronomers around to correct
them.When stellar islands were discovered in the mid 1920's it should
have sparked a revolution in astronomy but instead the greatest known
structures ever seen were appropriated by theorists who had already
built theories on the notion of no stellar centers.

http://www.bartleby.com/173/30.html

Now you have celestial spheres inside celestial spheres with absolutely
no attempt made to distinguish the rotation of the local Milky Way
stars from the positions of the remaining galaxies.

Except for some weak ****ing absurd view that they were once closer to
our 'valid cosmological center' in cosmological history because we
observe through our celestial spheres that it is,this is supposed to be
a rational explanation for the actual positions and motions of the
universe in terms of galaxies.

Does anyone care to tell the theorists why the same illusion that gives
us the Polaris effect also is present on a galactic scale (celestial
sphere inside a celestial sphere).What is it with cataloguers,do they
really wish to identify an external galaxy on their celestial bubble ?.

Do cataloguers hate people so much that when people are genuinely
puzzled at the contemporary notion of why homocentricity is a valid
position in spite of the Copernican revolution and a greater center of
rotation discovered in the 1920's they are treated like dogs through
pretensious jargon.

If you just want to be cataloguers which in itself is a noble pursuit
they just say so but why junk your observations and throw them to
irresponsible theorists.

Old March 5th 05, 11:21 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Nick
writes
Taken from
http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPa...ournal/v434/n7
029/abs/nature03400_fs.html

I see our favourite troll has replied to this - please don't feed it.
Speaking of feeding, I hope the nickname "burper" doesn't catch on :-)
http://abc.net.au/science/news/space/SpaceRepublish_1315935.htm
"Mysterious object a real cosmic burper"
Old March 6th 05, 07:38 AM
Jim

Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

In message , Nick
writes
Taken from
http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPa...ournal/v434/n7
029/abs/nature03400_fs.html

I see our favourite troll has replied to this - please don't feed it.
Speaking of feeding, I hope the nickname "burper" doesn't catch on :-)
http://abc.net.au/science/news/space/SpaceRepublish_1315935.htm
"Mysterious object a real cosmic burper"

It could be a _lot_ worse. Cosmic farters anyone?

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
Lost: Stack Pointer. Small reward offered if found.
Old March 7th 05, 12:13 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Jim
writes
Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

In message , Nick
writes
Taken from
http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPa...ournal/v434/n7
029/abs/nature03400_fs.html

I see our favourite troll has replied to this - please don't feed it.
Speaking of feeding, I hope the nickname "burper" doesn't catch on :-)
http://abc.net.au/science/news/space/SpaceRepublish_1315935.htm
"Mysterious object a real cosmic burper"

It could be a _lot_ worse. Cosmic farters anyone?

Jim

It's worse :-)

I can't get access to this article
http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/...v.aa.03.090165
..002113 but Google gave me this snippet.

"the target will, of course, be independent of the farter’s rotational
motion".
Old March 8th 05, 01:42 AM
Rupert Goodwins

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 09:36:45 +0000, Nick
wrote:

[...]

0.33GHz has a wavelength of about a metre. I wonder what sort of
synchronous mechanism can produce that, especially at what I assume
are exceptionally high powers (I can't convert 1016K to watts or
dBm!). Some sort of flux tube with the right dimensions? The Jovian
emissions (around 15 metres wavelength) are caused by electrons being
accelerated along aurora potential lines, I think, but I don't fully
understand the mechanism there either.

We conclude that it represents a hitherto unknown class of
transient radio sources, the first of possibly many new classes that may be
discovered by emerging wide-field radio telescopes.

Or if you want to pay Nature $30 you can read the whole paper at
http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v434/n7029/full/nature03400_fs.html

Wouldn't it be nice if intellectual curiosity was currency enough...

Old March 8th 05, 07:34 AM
Paul Nutteing

"Rupert Goodwins" wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 09:36:45 +0000, Nick
wrote:

Taken from

http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPa...nal/v434/n7029

[...]

/full/nature03400_fs.html

Wouldn't it be nice if intellectual curiosity was currency enough...

http://www.physorg.com/news3231.html
at least has the light curve that looks suspiciously even, prominently
peaked
and noise free - enhanced ?

What they aren't telling you about DNA profiles
and what Special Branch don't want you to know.
http://www.nutteing2.freeservers.com/dnapr.htm
or nutteingd in a search engine

Valid email (remove 4 of the 5 dots)
Ignore any other apparent em address used to post this message -
it is defunct due to spam.