Comet Lulin Photographed

Old January 30th 09, 04:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default Comet Lulin Photographed

I crawled out of bed at 0400 EST today, January 30, 2009.

Between 0524 and 0545 I made 10 two-minute exposures of Comet Lulin
(C/2007 N3) using a modified Canon 40D with an Astronomik CLS clip-in
filter: http://www.primordial-light.com/comets.html.

Davoud

--
Sell GM for scrap metal. The country will recover and be better in the long run
without an anti-technology lobby to drag us down.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old January 30th 09, 08:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

"Davoud" wrote in message
I crawled out of bed at 0400 EST today, January 30, 2009.

Between 0524 and 0545 I made 10 two-minute exposures of Comet Lulin
(C/2007 N3) using a modified Canon 40D with an Astronomik CLS clip-in
filter: http://www.primordial-light.com/comets.html.

Davoud

Nice pic. How much do you want for the clear skies?

Old January 31st 09, 12:19 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Davoud:
http://www.primordial-light.com/comets.html

John Nichols:
Nice pic.

It is kind of you to say so.

How much do you want for the clear skies?

That is sooooo laughable! I'm in _Maryland_ for gawd's sake!

Plastic telescope $25.

Used digital camera $10

Shaky tripod $5

Clear night in Maryland - priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's
MasterCard.

Davoud

Old January 31st 09, 01:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
A-non-i-moose

"Davoud" wrote in message
I crawled out of bed at 0400 EST today, January 30, 2009.

Between 0524 and 0545 I made 10 two-minute exposures of Comet Lulin
(C/2007 N3) using a modified Canon 40D with an Astronomik CLS clip-in
filter: http://www.primordial-light.com/comets.html.

Davoud

--
Sell GM for scrap metal. The country will recover and be better in the
long run
without an anti-technology lobby to drag us down.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

Thanks for the photos.

I am several miles south of you in Northumberland County, VA, along the
Potomac River. Quite humid here this morning (30 Jan) -- hoping it will be
a bit more clear Saturday morning -- I plan to be up around 0500 -- I don't
have astrophotography capability but will report back on what I see.

Old January 31st 09, 03:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Davoud:
Between 0524 and 0545 I made 10 two-minute exposures of Comet Lulin...

A-non-i-moose:
Thanks for the photos.

I am several miles south of you in Northumberland County, VA, along the
Potomac River. Quite humid here this morning (30 Jan) -- hoping it will be
a bit more clear Saturday morning -- I plan to be up around 0500 -- I don't
have astrophotography capability but will report back on what I see.

Good. I'll look for your report. I'm not really a Solar System kind of
photographer, but I pick up on a target of opportunity when I can. I
very much hope that Lulin develops some visually interesting
characteristics. The tail and anti-tail are certainly there, but the
contrast is very low at the moment. Having them pop into visibility
would be nice.

It is clear here now, but windy, and the air is very turbulent, so I'm
staying warm tonight. Saturday night-Sunday morning may be better...

I've been in your area, vacationing at The Tides Inn. It's very
nice--not just The Tides, but the whole area.

Davoud

Old January 31st 09, 11:19 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
A-non-i-moose

"Davoud" wrote in message
Davoud:
[...]

Not much to report on Saturday morning -- I went outside around 0515,
intending to drag the scope out of the garage -- skies were clear with
little humidity -- but -- winds were 15 MPH gusting over 20.

I took a quick look with 7X50 binos and called it a day -- or morning, or
night, or whatever -- too windy. Lulin through binos was same as
yesterday -- faint, fuzzy, but easily found -- I start at Zubenelgenubi (at
least, I think that's it) -- a double star at the tip of Libra -- move left
about 5 degrees and slightly down and look for a fuzz ball.

Old February 1st 09, 02:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Nancy Burkett

"Davoud" wrote in message
I crawled out of bed at 0400 EST today, January 30, 2009.

Between 0524 and 0545 I made 10 two-minute exposures of Comet Lulin
(C/2007 N3) using a modified Canon 40D with an Astronomik CLS clip-in
filter: http://www.primordial-light.com/comets.html.

Davoud

Not the best image I've seen. Noisy. Did you use any noise reduction?

Nancy

Old February 1st 09, 04:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names[_1_]

On Jan 31, 9:00*pm, "Nancy Burkett" wrote:
"Davoud" wrote in message

I crawled out of bed at 0400 EST today, January 30, 2009.

Between 0524 and 0545 I made 10 two-minute exposures of Comet Lulin
(C/2007 N3) using a modified Canon 40D with an Astronomik CLS clip-in
filter: http://www.primordial-light.com/comets.html.

Davoud

Not the best image I've seen. *Noisy. *Did you use any noise reduction?

Nancy

And your images are where??

Old February 1st 09, 06:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_4_]

"Nancy Burkett" wrote in news:gm2voj$99m$1
@nntp.motzarella.org:

"Davoud" wrote in message
I crawled out of bed at 0400 EST today, January 30, 2009.

Between 0524 and 0545 I made 10 two-minute exposures of Comet Lulin
(C/2007 N3) using a modified Canon 40D with an Astronomik CLS clip-in
filter: http://www.primordial-light.com/comets.html.

Davoud

Not the best image I've seen. Noisy. Did you use any noise reduction?

Nancy

People aren't as paranoid about noise (and using detail-killing NR
software) with astronomical subjects as the clueless are when it comes to
shooting terrestrial subjects.