This way to nowhere

Old February 18th 10, 04:53 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
jay walsh

Default This way to nowhere

Pat Flannery wrote:
Raven wrote:

"Pat Flannery" skrev i meddelelsen

What it needs is a big red glowing button that has "DON'T EVER PUSH!"
written under it, and of course the inevitable glowing eye of the
HAL-9000.
A tribble or two in the interior would also be a nice touch.

--- a few mynock figurines or paintings on the outside, preferrably
where they can be seen from inside the cupola.

One of the drones from Silent Running...

Pat

Or just one leg from a drone.

Jay
Old February 18th 10, 09:26 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

jay walsh wrote:

One of the drones from Silent Running...

Pat

Or just one leg from a drone.

That poor little drone...
(cut to Cassini colliding with the drone.)

Pat
Old February 18th 10, 01:41 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Neil Gerace[_3_]

Pat Flannery wrote:

What it needs is a big red glowing button that has "DON'T EVER PUSH!"

Arthur Dent: I wonder what'll happen if I press this button.
Ford Prefect: Don't.
Arthur Dent: [presses it] Oh.
Ford Prefect: What happened?
Arthur Dent: A sign lit up saying "Please do not press this button again."

Old February 18th 10, 02:54 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Me

On Feb 17, 6:16*pm, "Raven"
k wrote:

* *On a less flippant note, I wonder if it would become desirable to paint a
surface in vacuum, and if so, if a type of paint exists or can be developed
that's up for the job. *An astronaut on an EVA doodling during a pause, or
writing something more useful...

Sharpie pens

Old February 18th 10, 03:14 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Me

On Feb 17, 6:09*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

Spaceflight Now had live footage from last night's EVA on their website,
and it's amazing how much writing the ISS has on its exterior.
The whole thing is covered with writing telling you where you are, what
particular systems on the exterior of the modules are, and how to
operate things.

It is because of the EVA astronauts limited viewed of view. During
EVA, a module's hull fills the astronauts FOV and there would be few
reference points if not for this labels.

Old February 18th 10, 09:10 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Me wrote:

It is because of the EVA astronauts limited viewed of view. During
EVA, a module's hull fills the astronauts FOV and there would be few
reference points if not for this labels.

There was a case where a US astronaut and Russian cosmonaut got
disoriented while EVAing on the exterior of Mir, and got into a argument
about how to get back to the airlock.

Pat

Old February 18th 10, 10:21 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_818_]

Pat Flannery wrote:
Raven wrote:
"Pat Flannery" skrev i meddelelsen

What it needs is a big red glowing button that has "DON'T EVER
PUSH!" written under it, and of course the inevitable glowing eye
of the HAL-9000.
A tribble or two in the interior would also be a nice touch.

--- a few mynock figurines or paintings on the outside, preferrably
where they can be seen from inside the cupola.

One of the drones from Silent Running...

Pat

That was about the only decent part in SW: Ep 1, the homage to Silent
Running.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old February 18th 10, 10:22 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_819_]

Pat Flannery wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
The whole thing is covered with writing telling you where
you are, what particular systems on the exterior of the modules are,
and how to operate things.

Has Kilroy been there yet?-)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he shows up shortly. :-)
What it needs is a big red glowing button that has "DON'T EVER PUSH!"
written under it, and of course the inevitable glowing eye of the
HAL-9000. A tribble or two in the interior would also be a nice touch.

Pat

How about a sign that says, "Git 'r Done!"

Old February 19th 10, 02:51 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

One of the drones from Silent Running...

Pat

That was about the only decent part in SW: Ep 1, the homage to Silent
Running.

I must have missed that part (I wish I'd missed the whole thing; I did
manage that on the two sequels) what exactly did they do?

Pat
Old February 19th 10, 12:59 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Spain

Pat Flannery writes:

Me wrote:

It is because of the EVA astronauts limited viewed of view. During
EVA, a module's hull fills the astronauts FOV and there would be few
reference points if not for this labels.

There was a case where a US astronaut and Russian cosmonaut got disoriented
while EVAing on the exterior of Mir, and got into a argument about how to get
back to the airlock.

Easy way to solve that argument. First one to run out of air is wrong....
Were it so easy on Usenet... ;-)

Dave