The Falcon 9 static fire is scheduled for 1 p.m. EST today

Old March 14th 10, 11:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Damon Hill[_3_]

Default The Falcon 9 static fire is scheduled for 1 p.m. EST today

Pat Flannery wrote in
dakotatelephone:

On 3/13/2010 3:33 PM, Pat Flannery wrote:

This time it worked: http://spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/001/status.html

Some photos of the test he
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon...100314gallery/
The more I see of that thing, the more Russian it looks. :-)

From the big cluster of engines? I wanna see video of it as it
climbs out and pitches over to launch azimuth, though not much
may show through the intense yellow-white flames.

I see Russians tsking and shaking their heads over not using toroid
kero tank in the second stage and nesting the engine inside it, to
cut down on the big interstage, and for not using struts there. But
I suppose the toroid tank is complicated to make and AlLi/composite
materials make up for weight gain.

--Damon

Old March 15th 10, 04:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 3/14/2010 2:34 PM, Damon Hill wrote:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon...100314gallery/
The more I see of that thing, the more Russian it looks. :-)

From the big cluster of engines? I wanna see video of it as it
climbs out and pitches over to launch azimuth, though not much
may show through the intense yellow-white flames.

I see Russians tsking and shaking their heads over not using toroid
kero tank in the second stage and nesting the engine inside it, to
cut down on the big interstage, and for not using struts there. But
I suppose the toroid tank is complicated to make and AlLi/composite
materials make up for weight gain.

It looks like a Zenit sitting on the engine module of a Tsiklon.
The reason for all the truss interstage girders on the Russian boosters
is to allow the upper stage to ignite while the stage below it is still
firing, thereby eliminating the need for ullage motors to seat the
propellants. The gas from the upper stage engines exits through the gaps
in the truss until the lower stage shuts down and separates.
We used the same technique on the Titan II ICBM, which is why it has
holes between the two stages.
The one that looked really Russian is the Ares 1, which strongly
resembles the core and upper stages of the Soyuz booster:
http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/...2A_08182_H.jpg
....right down to having the truss girders between the stages in some of
the early iterations (see third from left):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Evolution.jpg
The jettisonable aerodynamic shroud over the Orion CM on the newer
versions strengthens the resemblance even more.

Pat