Best asteroids to colonize?

Old August 12th 03, 05:37 AM
Hop David

Default Best asteroids to colonize?

Some of the criteria I'm using:

Low inclination

Perihelion near 1 A.U.

Close to earth resonant orbits (good launch opportunities should reoccur
on a regular basis).

Asteroids with 5/4 year orbits:
http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/1_25/1_25.html

Asteroids with 4/3 year orbits:
http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/1_33/1_33.html

Asteroids with 3/2 year orbits:
http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/1_5/1_5.html

Asteroids with 5/3 year orbits:
http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/1_66/1_66.html

Asteroids with 2 year orbits:
http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/2/2.html

If any of the asteroids have volatiles, they might be able to export
water, fuel and building materials to LEO. Also many of the above
asteroids have close to 1.52 A.U. aphelions and so may occasionally have
opportunities to ferry people & cargo to Mars.

I am confused about claims of low DVs to land on asteroids. Most of the
ones I looked at seem to require greater then Moon escape velocity DV to
match orbits.

About 3/4 of the way down
http://www.permanent.com/t-theory.ht...eroid-missions
the Permanent writer says ". . . the asteroid 1982DB, . . . needs a
delta-v of a mere 0.06 km/sec (i.e., 60 meters per second, or 130 miles
per hour) to be captured by the Earth-Moon system."

I wish I know more about how low DV asteroid missions could be accomplished.

Hop
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old August 13th 03, 01:42 AM
Zoltan Szakaly

Hop David wrote in message ...
[...]

This could probably be accomplished using an orion type propulsion system.
We would deposit a large termonuclear bomb with a blast plate on the asteroid.
The question is if it will hold together.

Zoltan
Old August 14th 03, 03:13 PM
Blurrt

"Hop David" wrote in message
[...]

I think they lowered it using lunar gravity assists.

Old August 14th 03, 07:12 PM
Hop David

Zoltan Szakaly wrote:

I wish I know more about how low DV asteroid missions could be accomplished.

Hop
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

This could probably be accomplished using an orion type propulsion system.
We would deposit a large termonuclear bomb with a blast plate on the asteroid.
The question is if it will hold together.

Zoltan

I am not interested in substantial DV for the entire asteroid, but in DV
for importing/exporting to/from asteroid colonies. (I'm doing some comic
stories set on asteroid colonies.)

I've read in many places that DV for a sample return mission to a NEA
could be much less than a moon sample return. I can get fly bys with low
DV. But getting to the asteroid, matching velocities, and then returning
to earth seem more costly than lunar missions.

This is because the asteroids are really hauling ass at perihelion and
this seems to more than offset advantages of tiny gravity well. I
suspect and hope I'm wrong and readily admit being a rank novice.