Quantitative Prediction of a Measurable Quantity

Old August 13th 08, 02:25 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Default Quantitative Prediction of a Measurable Quantity

On Aug 13, 2:30*pm, PD wrote in
sci.physics.relativity:
I think you don't know what a physical theory is.
Can you please provide a quantitative prediction of a measurable
quantity?
That's what a physical theory does.

PD

Clever Draper, I have aleady asked you and you did reply I must admit
but I cannot remember your answer so again: What is the quantitative
prediction, Clever Draper, for the length of a 80m long pole safely
trapped inside a 40m long barn, provided your brothers have forgotten
to reopen the doors of the barn "pretty quickly" and the doors don't
break:

http://www.math.ucr.edu/home/baez/ph...barn_pole.html
"These are the props. You own a barn, 40m long, with automatic doors
at either end, that can be opened and closed simultaneously by a
switch. You also have a pole, 80m long, which of course won't fit in
the barn....So, as the pole passes through the barn, there is an
instant when it is completely within the barn. At that instant, you
close both doors simultaneously, with your switch. Of course, you open
them again pretty quickly, but at least momentarily you had the
contracted pole shut up in your barn."

Pentcho Valev

Old August 13th 08, 02:47 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
PD

On Aug 13, 8:25*am, Pentcho Valev wrote:
On Aug 13, 2:30*pm, PD wrote in
sci.physics.relativity:

I think you don't know what a physical theory is.
Can you please provide a quantitative prediction of a measurable
quantity?
That's what a physical theory does.

PD

Clever Draper, I have aleady asked you and you did reply I must admit
but I cannot remember your answer so again: What is the quantitative
prediction, Clever Draper, for the length of a 80m long pole safely
trapped inside a 40m long barn, provided your brothers have forgotten
to reopen the doors of the barn "pretty quickly" and the doors don't
break:

Well, of course the quantitative prediction depends on the relative
speed between the pole and the barn, but there certainly is a value of
the relative speed for which the quantitative prediction for the
length of the pole in the barn frame is not 80m but 39m. (The "80m"
you referred to in your question above is an adjective that presumably
applies in the rest frame of the pole, but does not apply in any other
frame.) This yields the qualitative prediction that the doors can be
closed briefly without touching either end of the pole.

Now, no one has done this exact experiment with a barn and a pole,
though there is a clearly a quantitative prediction. Fortunately, the
theory makes a number of other quantitative predictions which HAVE
been tested -- and confirmed -- in experiment.

The role of the barn-and-pole puzzle is then left, not as an
experimental prediction, but as a teaching exercise -- which
apparently still leaves some Bulgarians addled.

Old August 13th 08, 03:12 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

On Aug 13, 3:47*pm, PD wrote:
[...]

Bravo Clever Draper! Bulgarians are by no means addled - rather, they
adore you and your answers. Just a small elaboration: "the
quantitative prediction for the length of the pole in the barn frame
is not 80m but 39m" but then, when the pole is safely trapped inside
the barn, it will try to restore its proper length (which is 80m). But
since the doors of the barn don't break, the pole will be able to
restore only 1 meter so when Clever Draper goes and measures the
length of the trapped pole, Clever Draper clearly sees a 40m long
pole, perhaps a few centimetres longer if the doors are slightly
deformed. Is this realistic, Clever Draper? A 40m long pole and that's
it?

Pentcho Valev

Old August 13th 08, 03:17 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
PD

On Aug 13, 9:12*am, Pentcho Valev wrote:
On Aug 13, 3:47*pm, PD wrote:

[...]

Why would it do that? The doors NEVER touch the ends of the pole.
If you have a fly that flies into a barn and you shut the doors of the
barn, the fly continues to fly around inside the barn, and when you
open the doors of the barn, the fly flies out.
Why are you assuming the pole is brought to rest inside the barn? You
perhaps misunderstand the barn and pole puzzle as it is commonly
taught.

The pole enters the barn.
The doors are briefly shut, while the pole is *still* moving at
constant velocity.
The doors never touch the ends of the pole.
Before the pole reaches the far door, the doors are opened back up.
The pole continues to fly out, never having changed speed.

You mean ALL THIS TIME you've been flummoxed by the barn and pole
paradox BECAUSE YOU CAN'T READ???

Old August 13th 08, 03:45 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

On Aug 13, 3:47*pm, PD wrote:

[...]

Clever Draper, Cleverest Draper, why these zombie tricks again? Look
at my initial question and you will see the phrase:

"....provided your brothers have forgotten to reopen the doors of the
barn "pretty quickly"...."

In other words Clever Draper, your brothers always camouflage the
idiotic implication of Divine Albert's Divine Theory by reopening the
doors of the barn "pretty quickly" but only once they failed to do so
and now we are discussing the consequences of their failure. How long
is the pole trapped and immobile inside the barn, Clever Draper?

Pentcho Valev

Old August 13th 08, 03:50 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro

Pentcho

Can you please stop for a bit, and write something about my equation.
Does it make sense ?

Old August 13th 08, 04:30 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro

I'm awaiting confirmation of others. . .

Very interesting developments. Using something spatial (the SI unit),
and with mass. . .to predict the end of time.

Old August 13th 08, 05:42 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
PD

On Aug 13, 3:47*pm, PD wrote:

[...]

Then your question is, is it a quantitative prediction that an 80m
pole will be trapped *intact* in a 40m barn if you decide to keep the
barn doors closed? The answer to that is: no, relativity makes no such
prediction.

If you close the doors and strike one end of a very rapidly moving
pole with the barn door, then all sorts of other physics gets
involved.

Old August 13th 08, 07:57 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

On Aug 13, 6:42*pm, PD wrote:
[...]

But then Clever Draper goes to the place (he is curious this Clever
Draper) and measures the length of what was once a 80m long pole but
is now something trapped inside the 40m long barn. What is the maximal
length of this something trapped inside the 40m long barn? 40m
perhaps? Special relativity does not predict even this?

Pentcho Valev

Old August 13th 08, 08:11 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
Spaceman

Pentcho Valev wrote:
On Aug 13, 6:42 pm, PD wrote:

http://www.math.ucr.edu/home/baez/ph...barn_pole.html
"These are the props. You own a barn, 40m long, with automatic
doors at either end, that can be opened and closed
simultaneously by a switch. You also have a pole, 80m long,
which of course won't fit in the barn....So, as the pole passes
through the barn, there is an instant when it is completely
within the barn. At that instant, you close both doors
simultaneously, with your switch. Of course, you open them
again pretty quickly, but at least momentarily you had the
contracted pole shut up in your barn."

Bravo Clever Draper! Bulgarians are by no means addled - rather,
they adore you and your answers. Just a small elaboration: "the
quantitative prediction for the length of the pole in the barn
frame is not 80m but 39m" but then, when the pole is safely
[...]

According to the bull**** of SR,
It will depend on if the barn is moving or not and who is
observing the measurement.
If it is moving fast enough according to a certian observer,
it will be shorter so then the maximum will decrease
even more.
It is so full of contracted bull****, who would ever want to open the doors.

--
James M Driscoll Jr