SoCal fireball

Old March 19th 07, 03:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jeff R. Schroeder

Default SoCal fireball

Did anyone in the Los Angeles area see a bright fireball a few minutes after
7:00 pdt tonight? It was an intense green color and around mag. -7. From
my location in LaVerne, Ca. (about 35 miles east of LA) it started about 60
degrees high in the North and went down to the eastern horizon. It was a
small bright teardrop with a short tail; it left no train and did not
fragment. It faded rapidly some 20 deg. up but remained faintly visible
until I lost it in the horizon clutter. It was moving way too fast to be
space junk, but not quite as fast as a Perseid for example. This was close
enough to sunset that I consider it my first daytime sighting!

Perfect Day in SoCal for Mercury Transit Matthew Ota Amateur Astronomy 17 November 10th 06 03:11 PM
fireball? ChrisF9 UK Astronomy 0 August 7th 04 11:05 PM
Stars turned off in SoCal Jeff Schroeder Amateur Astronomy 4 June 19th 04 08:24 PM
Fireball in Queensland Terry B Amateur Astronomy 0 April 1st 04 11:46 AM
Fireball at 00:55 Lilian UK Astronomy 4 March 19th 04 06:18 PM