[Semi-OT] WTF? Astronauts behaving badly!

Old February 6th 07, 09:13 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Bill Baker

Default [Semi-OT] WTF? Astronauts behaving badly!

On 2007-02-06 00:54:56 -0800, "Brian Gaff" said:

...Unfortunately, whatever the reason here, she is going to be dropped
like a hot potato I imagine.

As quickly as NASA can do so, yes. But if you watch the MSNBC clip to
the end you'll hear the PAO discussing the fact that they have sent a
senior astronaut to visit with her in custody, and related footage of
said senior space jockey walking in to the local stir. A rather nice
example of NASA upholding the ethic of "innocent until proven guilty"
even in the most embarrassing of circumstances.

Old February 6th 07, 09:15 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default WTF? Astronaut[S] behaving badly? Other felonious examples?

OM wrote:

...Closest we've ever had was this one MS whose name escapes me, but
she was one of the most irritable Astronauts ever heard on the
downlinks since the last Skylab crew. Only time I've ever heard
someone tell Capcom to "just wait a damn minute, okay?"

Hey, I kind of like that.
This girl ever meet Wally Schirra?
I see a match made in the heavens. :-D

Pat
Old February 6th 07, 12:56 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
David Higgins

Derek Lyons wrote:
*Very* strange.

Why strange? Astronauts are people too.

Strapping on a diaper and driving 900 miles "nonstop" to whack somebody
is normal?
Old February 6th 07, 01:38 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Jim Oberg

"Bill Baker" wrote
Jim, that question sounds like you're looking for "comparable offenses"
background for a follow-up article to the straight new reports. I think
you're on the wrong tack.

good points, bill..

i know of a lot of misbehavior, even law breaking,
but n-o-t-h-i-n-g matches this, AFAIK.

Old February 6th 07, 01:43 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jim Oberg

Default NASA's psychological profiling

"Flyguy" wrote
What does this incident tell us, if anything, about NASA's psychological
profiling for astronauts?

Ask a veteran NASA psych profiler:
http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2007/02...-to-earth.html

Old February 6th 07, 01:59 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
mike flugennock

Jim Oberg wrote:
What sorts of other troubles have other astronauts
gotten into with the Law (as opposed to, say,
with George Abbey)?

Well, I don't know about _that_, but it's a sign we've fallen a long way
from the days when an astronaut risked a DWI in his new Corvette to a
time when a _female_ astronaut physically attacks another woman who's
competing against her for a crack at a _male_ astronaut?

I can just imagine the scene at the airport:

"Back off, bitch! _I've_ got the Right Stuff here!"
"Sez you! Crash'n'burn, Ms. Goody Two-Shoes!"
"Hiss!"
"Meow!"

Yeah, the ol' Astropower just ain't what it used to be.

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org
Old February 6th 07, 02:00 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
mike flugennock

David Higgins wrote:
Herb Schaltegger wrote:

I don't really know what to say about this. Pat, take it away . . .

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/orl-bk-
nasaastronaut0507feb05,0,6104316.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Also on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/05/space.love/index.html
..and MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16997958/

Btw, I don't recall...has Nowak flown yet? There's just so damn' many of
them now...

--

..

Old February 6th 07, 02:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
Matt

I'm quite sure this is the first actual arrest (unless you count
traffic stops) of an active astronaut in the 46 years of the NASA
program. A shame.

Matt Bille

Old February 6th 07, 02:31 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
David Higgins wrote:

Herb Schaltegger wrote:
I don't really know what to say about this. Pat, take it away . . .

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/orl-bk-
nasaastronaut0507feb05,0,6104316.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Also on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/05/space.love/index.html
..and MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16997958/

*Very* strange.

Why strange? Astronauts are people too.

Not to some who look up to NASA astronauts like they're some kind of super
heros or Hollywood stars. It's part of the reason the nation goes into a
state of mourning when astronauts die doing their job.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Old February 6th 07, 02:33 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

"David Higgins" wrote in message
Derek Lyons wrote:
*Very* strange.

Why strange? Astronauts are people too.

Strapping on a diaper and driving 900 miles "nonstop" to whack somebody is
normal?

I don't think that's the point. The point is that in just about any
profession you're likely to find someone who cracks like this who otherwise
"was good at their job" or "was a quiet neighbor that never gave us any
trouble".

Astronauts have the same sorts of flaws as everyone else.