NASA video hassle

Old December 10th 06, 06:47 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Les Hemmings

Default NASA video hassle

Trying to watch the launch here
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sh...ain/index.html but the damn thing
keeps telling me it can't create DirectShow and that I don't have Windows
Media Player (I have WMP V.11 installed with .asf filetype set to open by
WMP)

Anyone else had this problem? It happens in both FireFox and IE7....

Or perhaps there is somewhere I can download the video from?

Cheers...

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in
all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving
control-freak ; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic,
homophobic, racist, infanticidal , genocidal , filicidal , pestilential ,
megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully" (Richard
Dawkins)

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old December 10th 06, 07:36 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Well no problems but of course I cannot actually see what its displaying,
and I'm still on media player 10 and ie 6.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old December 11th 06, 02:14 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
George[_1_]

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message
Trying to watch the launch here
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sh...ain/index.html but the damn
thing keeps telling me it can't create DirectShow and that I don't have
Windows Media Player (I have WMP V.11 installed with .asf filetype set to
open by WMP)

Anyone else had this problem? It happens in both FireFox and IE7....

Or perhaps there is somewhere I can download the video from?

Cheers...

Les

--

No problems here. IE7 MP11.

George

Old December 11th 06, 07:16 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Zaphod Beeblebrox

"Les Hemmings" wrote in
:

Or perhaps there is somewhere I can download the video from?

http://www.despace.cwsurf.de/index.php

Follow the "Updates" button in their main menu. There's
more video there than you'll have the patience to download.

(Does anyone know if there is a US mirror of that site?)

Old December 17th 06, 10:05 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
OM[_4_]

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:47:41 -0000, "Les Hemmings"
wrote:

Trying to watch the launch here
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sh...ain/index.html but the damn thing
keeps telling me it can't create DirectShow and that I don't have Windows
Media Player (I have WMP V.11 installed with .asf filetype set to open by
WMP)

Anyone else had this problem? It happens in both FireFox and IE7....

....I suggest eliminating all codec problems by downloading either the
K-Lite or Mega Codec packs, and installing the whole mess. With far
too many codecs out there - the differences between DiVX and XViD
alone are so meager that it's pathetic - it's best to just load them
all and not worry about it because they'll all go the way of OGG and
Matrushka within a year of release. As it stands now, whenever the
dust settles, it's always DiVX, XViD, MPEG2 or Quickslime that
survives.

K-Lite Codec Pack:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

ACE Mega Codec Pack:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...oDecS_Pack.htm

....On a side note, I recommend installing both, and to install K-Lite
first. ACE isn't updated anymore from what I gather, but it contains a
lot of older, **** codecs that K-Lite doesn't bother with that still
pop up from time to time when old clips get brought ouf of whatever
cave they've been stored in since they were capped. Also, K-Lite
doesn't appear to carry a decent PCM codec for those who don't have
one automatically installed with their DVD playback support.

Enjoy!

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old December 17th 06, 10:06 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
OM[_4_]

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 19:36:06 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Well no problems but of course I cannot actually see what its displaying,
and I'm still on media player 10 and ie 6.

....What? You mean I went to all that trouble hacking into your feed
and mooning you, and you can't even see my fat hairy ass??

Damn. Back to the drawing board...:-P

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old December 18th 06, 08:28 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

wrote:

Well no problems but of course I cannot actually see what its displaying,
and I'm still on media player 10 and ie 6.

...What? You mean I went to all that trouble hacking into your feed
and mooning you, and you can't even see my fat hairy ass??

Damn. Back to the drawing board...:-P

Remember, with Brian it has to be word pictures. You need the
video-to-text option.

(If Brian is marginally sighted, then it may be possible for him to
recognize a high contrast picture in large scale, displayed in bright
light. If he's beyond "legally blind", then he needs audio, which his
reader supplies from text).

/dps