cheap diagonal verses an expensive one?

Old October 29th 06, 03:34 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Simon

Default cheap diagonal verses an expensive one?

is there much to gain spending a lot of money on a diagonal?

Thanks Simon

Old October 29th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Kev

"Simon" wrote in message
is there much to gain spending a lot of money on a diagonal?

In my experience that depends on what you are viewing. I image the sun, and
used to use a cheapish diagonal, and got mediocre results. When I switched
to a teleview 90 degree the contrast went up very appreciably.

Kev

Old October 30th 06, 08:05 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Dworetsky

"Simon" wrote in message
is there much to gain spending a lot of money on a diagonal?

Thanks Simon

How much is a lot? A high quality diagonal will give you a great view; poor
quality will make you think the eyepieces are junk. A modern quality
diagonal like a Teleview will also let you see the edges of the eyepiece
field.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Old October 30th 06, 06:00 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Simon

hi,

i was thinking is it worth buying a more expensive diagonal to the
one supplied with the meade lx range?.

thaks

simon

Old October 31st 06, 08:58 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Dworetsky

"Simon" wrote in message
is there much to gain spending a lot of money on a diagonal?

Thanks Simon

How much is a lot? A high quality diagonal will give you a great view;
poor
quality will make you think the eyepieces are junk. A modern quality
diagonal like a Teleview will also let you see the edges of the eyepiece
field.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

I would have to see the diagonal and star test it to tell you. Or solicit
other opinions of those who have done a comparison recently.

Old October 31st 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Martin Brown

Simon wrote:
hi,

i was thinking is it worth buying a more expensive diagonal to the
one supplied with the meade lx range?.

You are better off buying a few more eyepieces first.

Eventually when you want to use 2" diameter eyepieces yes. But the LX
series come with reasonable grade optical components (some cheap
refractors tend to have poxy diagonals).

But you can test the influence of a diagonal easily enough. Remove it
from the optical train refocus and crick your neck to look through the
scope and star test it with and without the diagonal in use. Some
specimens are better than others, but they are mostly OK.

I still use my old Meade diagonal in another scope. It is quite
useable.

The amount of improvement you will get with an expensive diagonal cf
Meades standard one is not enormous unless you are after every last bit
of contrast on difficult objects or need to use a 2" diagonal for the
physically bigger wide field eyepieces.

Collimating the scope accurately will make a much larger difference to
image quality.

How much is a lot? A high quality diagonal will give you a great view;
poor
quality will make you think the eyepieces are junk. A modern quality
diagonal like a Teleview will also let you see the edges of the eyepiece
field.

The Televue unit seems a bit overengineered to me. YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown